Author Topic: Why do some detector manufactures use and other dont ???  (Read 7375 times)

DaveJ

Why do some detector manufactures use and other dont ???
« on: August 16, 2015, 12:42 pm »
This has had me thinking over the weekend and its related to the pros and cons of Concentric and DD coils,i am aware what the difference is,but why do some detector manufactures still produce both coils on top flight machines.

One example of a top brand and its top machine is the Whites V3i this detector is the flagship of the brand but its main coil that it uses as the stock coil is a Concentric but saying that it also offers in the US from the Whites website the option to purchase a non branded Whites coil ie the Detech The ULTIMATE coil which is of course a DD coil,the same Concentric coil is also on the MXT,DFX and other top models as well.

Then we get onto the majority of detectors which use the more common DD design,of course both designs have some advantages and disadvantageous,the T2 only has DD coils available either from the makers or after market coils.

So not sure why some still use Concentric stock coils and other's are using DD coil,must admit i have been using a B3 of late that i have the option to buy and this has the Concentric coil on it,this coil is best suited to the design of the superb discrimination circuit that Tesoro base machines are world famous for.Of course coil discipline is more critical with Concentric coils but also the depth is greater and the discrimination is much better as well.

So have DD coils mainly taken over as a result of being easier to use as a result of and less coil discipline or other software and hardware related advances.

Any thoughts on this one.

SuchMuch

Re: Why do some detector manufactures use and other dont ???
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 01:09 pm »
It doesn't matter the direction concentric coil passes the target,  the result will be always the same. Concentric coil detects deep targets by coil's center mostly. Some detectorists would prefer concentric small coil at trashy site to DD one.

DD coils is deeper and sharper than concentric one, but identification of some targets depends on direction DD coil passes over it. That's why it's recommended to change direction of swinging when you doubt what target is under

AKA is already producing hybrid of concentric and DD coils -  3D coil. It's reported that it's slightly less deeper than DD coil, but provides superior identification and reduce falsing, 3D coils could be valuable on electrolyte soils. As far as I understand AKA haven't started mass release yet.

ecoast

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 02:16 pm »
my v3i had a 10"dd coil; I did not realize it was concentric?

@suchmuch

I anxiously await intronik

13oots2

• Administrator
    • Comics
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 02:21 pm »
The V3i is definitely a DD coil, it isn't concentric,
Scroll down to the bottom of the page and join the live chat

DaveJ

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 02:26 pm »
The V3i is definitely a DD coil, it isn't concentric,

You are correct on the V3i,but the MXT and DFX still came with Concentric coils with of course the DD option.

Its the VX3 that comes with the Concentric coil.