Author Topic: Its not all about 'Detectors' is it ???  (Read 7690 times)

DaveJ

Its not all about 'Detectors' is it ???
« on: August 19, 2015, 01:23 pm »
This has had me thinking over the last few weeks or so,its not all about 'Detectors' or 'coils' but most folks just talk about these 2 items the most.Bottom line is a detector on its own is just a lump of plastic and some electronics inside,this on its own does not find you anymore,it makes no odds in my mind if its a entry level machine or the latest holy grail 4 figure sum machine.

It all boils down to various skill levels of the operator,of not only getting the maximum out of the detector but the skill in the detecting techniques and wider skill knowledge of possible site location,and bring this all together and this in my mind only comes with time and experiance.

You could be a total novice or only have been detecting say a short time duration,but your bank balance has allowed you to buy a super duper latest all singing all dancing machine,but Bert who has been detecting say 30 plus years who detects with his trusty old Tesoro Silver Sabre can run rings around the newbie.Why its not the machine its his finally honed detecting skills that he has learnt over the years.

So what possibly could Bert of learnt,well using the right coil on his detector,learning as much as he can on what the detector is telling him,location but the knowledge on what would be the best part on that location for say a hidden hoard..

Of course many other things are all part of what makes some detectorist stand head and shoulders above the rest...i would call it skill,knowledge and dedication.

What are other folks thoughts on this one ??? is it just the detector or is it the much wider skill/knowledge that is gained over time but is rarely talked about,these days it seems that most topics are about i 'must' upgrade to a top flight detector or have the biggest coil for depth,as most finds are found within the top 6-7'' then have the latest most powerful detector with the biggest coil is counter productive,well it is in my mind.

Lodge Scent

Re: Its not all about 'Detectors' is it ???
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 02:42 pm »
Good points. I think any newbie with any cheap machine can find EASY targets. And a skilled detectorist with a mid level machine can do quite well. But to be able to routinely and confidently be able to hit those deep, small, masked targets, you need the combination of skill and a higher end machine. Certainly a skilled detectorist with a mid level machine will almost always hunt circles around the green horn with the top o' the line machine.

SuchMuch

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 03:40 pm »
50/50.
50 percents depend on detectorist (where to go, what coil size to use, what frequency to use, how to set detector, how to swing, what things to pay attention to etc), 50 percents depend on detector's qualities .

The problem is professional instruments should be used by experienced operators in order to have best results. Professional instrument as itself doesn't quarantee you the best results.

rusty old bucket

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 05:10 pm »
Good post and valid points  but you have forgotten one key ingredient, good land to detect on!

You can be the all seeing, all knowing grasshopper of the detecting world, with a machine and equipment list as big as your bank balance will allow , but what good is it if the only place you can detect is your mates back garden.

The correct machine(s) ,coils and knowledge of how and where to use your equipment will certainly help to improve your  finds , but more so will spending time researching the lands history, field walking and obtaining permission..

Personally I would prefer to have a ace150 and basic knowledge of how to use it on a large historic site , than a ctx 3030 full understanding of it, but lack of permission or poor land to use it.
Rex Sedet in vertice
Live a good life.

troyshadow

• Gold members
  • Rutus unmasking;Troyx5 deep;fishercz3d back-up
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 07:29 pm »
Agree with you Rusty. Maybe one big important tip once you found that “large historic site” is to keep the mouth shut to anyone,…that’s from what I have learnt during all those years. :-X And hopefully the site is in the middle of nowhere!!! :(
"One man's trash is another man's treasure."

muddy fingers

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 07:37 pm »

You can be the all seeing, all knowing grasshopper of the detecting world, with a machine and equipment list as big as your bank balance will allow , but what good is it if the only place you can detect is your mates back garden.

Some friend's back garden was worth a look according to this account in the 1977 issue of Treasure Hunting. :D ;)

(Saxon gold ring containing roman intaglio)

SuchMuch

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 08:05 pm »
Agree with you Rusty. Maybe one big important tip once you found that “large historic site” is to keep the mouth shut to anyone,…that’s from what I have learnt during all those years. :-X And hopefully the site is in the middle of nowhere!!! :(

I would say, it's rather better to have reliable mate(s) than hunt alone  8). I had experience when I walked 10 meters aside and missed the spot and mate was lucky to walk over the spot and finally we made this spot "empty like space". The same happen when I'm successful enough to catch the spot... That's why we bare radios and keep constant radio contact

rusty old bucket

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 08:18 pm »
"Some friend's back garden was worth a look according to this account in the 1977 issue of Treasure Hunting." :D ;)

Did they do forensic soil analysis in 1977... "Just saying"  ;D : ;)
Rex Sedet in vertice
Live a good life.

troyshadow

• Gold members
  • Rutus unmasking;Troyx5 deep;fishercz3d back-up
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 08:24 pm »
@suchmuch:
I sincerely hope deep in my hart that you and your mate stay “reliable” to the end of your detecting days!!!  :-\
"One man's trash is another man's treasure."

muddy fingers

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 10:04 pm »
"Some friend's back garden was worth a look according to this account in the 1977 issue of Treasure Hunting." :D ;)

Did they do forensic soil analysis in 1977... "Just saying"  ;D : ;)

I think from what I remember at the time that the "garden" was actually a sizeable piece of land in a good historic area. The TH bit is written to have the effect of a more eye catching headline I think. I don't think that the chap got all that much for it, I seem to remember.

Hauptmann aD

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2015, 04:00 pm »
Its about luck ... and dedication.
If you search more, you find more, and you improve the chances to find something great.
So far its like a lottery ticket: Some need only to purchase one ticket for the main price, others buy 20 and may have the main price or may have it not ... but some other great stuff eventually.

DaveJ

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2015, 05:46 pm »
Its about luck ... and dedication.
If you search more, you find more, and you improve the chances to find something great.
So far its like a lottery ticket: Some need only to purchase one ticket for the main price, others buy 20 and may have the main price or may have it not ... but some other great stuff eventually.

I do agree with what you are saying but its not only luck,its also the experience of the operator as well,as a general rule the longer the time duration a person has been detecting the better his/her finds rate is and also the quality of the finds.I will agree that some new folks have found some amazing finds but the more experience you have the more consistent quality finds.

This of course is not only allied to detecting but any hobby/pastime in life,the more you put in the more you get out.

coenwolf

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2015, 05:50 pm »

Some friend's back garden was worth a look according to this account in the 1977 issue of Treasure Hunting. :D ;)
good way to get round the treasure trove laws of the time ,i saw a flying saucer that year to  :P :P :P
    (Saxon gold ring containing roman intaglio)

needlegun

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2015, 06:56 pm »
Good land regularly plowed . Then worry about machine.

DaveJ

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2015, 07:15 pm »
Good land regularly plowed . Then worry about machine.

But have you noticed that they are not deep ploughing as much as they use too,more a quick disc harrow job then another crop straight in again.