Author Topic: Pottery pieces  (Read 4801 times)

RyBowk

Pottery pieces
« on: September 15, 2015, 07:42 pm »
Hi can anyone id any of these pieces I have picked up while detecting?
Thanks in advance Ryan

nailman

Re: Pottery pieces
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 05:52 pm »
http://www.archaeology.wyjs.org.uk/documents/archaeology/identifying/Pottery.pdf

Try this guide, I have picked up loads of what I thought was Roman pottery only to find out it was Victorian field drain.

Good luck
Experienced button digger
XP Deus
Insurance company's are warning campers if your tent is stolen during the night you won't be covered

RyBowk

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 09:37 pm »
http://www.archaeology.wyjs.org.uk/documents/archaeology/identifying/Pottery.pdf

Try this guide, I have picked up loads of what I thought was Roman pottery only to find out it was Victorian field drain.

Good luck

Thanks mate, I have arranged to meet my local finds liaison officer on Friday as he says I have some medieval pottery and he would like to see all that I have found. I will post back when he has identified it. Ryan

RyBowk

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 12:12 pm »
There is some medieval pottery and roman grey ware pieces. They have been taken by the Portable Antiquities Scheme to be recorded along with a tudor buckle, an Elizabeth 1st silver hammered, and a suspected Roman gaming piece.
I must say I am quite chuffed :)

nailman

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 01:05 pm »
Grey ware was the everyday use pottery in Roman times, good find
Thanks for update
Experienced button digger
XP Deus
Insurance company's are warning campers if your tent is stolen during the night you won't be covered

CMant1

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 05:02 pm »
Very interesting post great find.