Author Topic: How do you slide a foam grip onto a shaft ???  (Read 4105 times)

DaveJ

How do you slide a foam grip onto a shaft ???
« on: September 26, 2015, 02:43 pm »
Have just bought a new complete shaft setup from Ebay,everything is exactly what i want to finish my new detector build,but the foam grip has to be put on but not sure how to do this.I am thinking along the lines of using washing up liquid and sliding it down the shaft to the 'S' bend then hoping that after its dries out it wont slide around if that makes sense.

Any suggestion on this one please,everything is ready to go with the new PI machine but its just the foam grip holding me back,dont want to damage it if possible.

RyBowk

Re: How do you slide a foam grip onto a shaft ???
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 03:00 pm »
Mmmm, if it won't go without anything I think washing up liquid will be best as it will completely dry and stay in place. I would think that just a smear would suffice,

DaveJ

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 03:07 pm »
yep,washing up liquid sorted the problem out with some luke warm water,will leave it to dry and then it should be all good to go.

Off out detecting for the rest of the day,so plan on taking the Pulse out onto a very 'demanding' site tomorrow  ;)

Trickieshep

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 10:19 am »
When I was doing a lot of enduro riding I used to use hairspray to put new grips on handlebars, when it dries it sticks like glue.

DaveJ

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 11:04 am »
When I was doing a lot of enduro riding I used to use hairspray to put new grips on handlebars, when it dries it sticks like glue.

Have also heard that tip when doing foam grips,in the end i used a small amount of washing up liquid and once that dried out it was all fine,albeit the hair spray method would be more long term but if you ever need to replace the grip it would in theory be more of a problem i guess.

Anyway the shaft is all up and running and the Mirage Pulse is working superbly,should work well on certain specific sites due to the ability of it to sniff out small gold jewellery as well as normal finds.

Nigel at Regtons

• Regton Ltd
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 12:22 pm »

One to remember, in my day we wired the grips to the handlebars.

Martynf65

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 04:06 pm »
happy days of trying to get motorcycle new grips onto steel bars! always used washing up liquid, works every time
Oddly its easier after 2 in the afternoon.
No, ok, Imade that up :O

Rew

• Gold Membership
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2015, 05:18 pm »
When I, lol.     When I used to put a rubber stencil on headstones to mark out designs ready to be sandblasted, I would apply a layer of washing up liquid bubbles to the headstone before applying the sticky side of the rubber stencil down on to it. It would allow me a few minutes to move the stencil and square it up and pressing it down to stick.
I do it with an AKA Sorex Pro