Author Topic: Gridding  (Read 5037 times)

RyBowk

Gridding
« on: September 21, 2015, 08:14 pm »
I have found a few nice items on my newest site and decided I want to give it a thorough check over.
I have read about gridding and I am thinking of using some small orange cones that are used for football training, one at each end and walk between them. When I reach the other end move the cone to the side about a meter to make sure my swings overlap walk back and repeat.

Does anyone else do this or are there other ways?

13oots2

• Administrator
    • Comics
Re: Gridding
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 08:21 pm »
It should work well but also try another pass a 90 degrees to the first, you could well find more due to the change in angle.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page and join the live chat

DaveJ

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 08:31 pm »
Yep,i use orange cones and have done for some time,works very well,only do small sections at a time,as each section is done methodically and as a result finds have certainly increased.I use either cones or i also carry long lines that are used on building sites,both do basically the same job.

Have been working a small 15 acre sites of late using the long wire method and its taken me days and still hardly touched the field yet,but the finds are still coming,still have a fair time duration till christmas then the field will be deep ploughed again.

Everyone does a site different but for me i much prefer to do the ultra slow methodical way  ;)

SuchMuch

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 08:39 pm »
If you are sure nobody sees you, use cones. When I see somebody roaming somewhere in field, especially far far away from village I always make a point in my garmin. I'm curious why and what he is doing there  ::). I will return and check that place when he is away  8) But if I saw cones or equal marks, be sure I would be there next day!  :-\

Navigate taking into consideration showel trace/foot steps on flat ploughed ground. Use noticeable stones instead cones.

PS.
I'm a legal day/night hawker  8)   

gc-1023

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 08:57 pm »
then you are telling us you are a day/night searcher who always gets permission first .cool 8). hawker to me is a word i associate with someone who tresspasses . just glad you added legal to your description ,lol.

wittsy1

• Another day older today
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 09:05 pm »
I've often thought about getting four poles, say wickets, and some string and pacing an area of say 10 metres by 10 metres making a nice square area to work in and thoroughly detect this area and then repeat and move on. Anyone tried this, my guess is yes.

Rew

• Gold Membership
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 10:16 pm »
Look, all you need is about 100 yard of string ( for lightness ), wrap it around a 12" drum ( empty can of paint) with two stakes to hold it. Attach the free end to your belt and away you go, around and around and around, till eventually you are one hundred yards from your starting point.
I do it with an AKA Sorex Pro

Cornholio

• Gold members
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 09:53 am »
If you are sure nobody sees you, use cones. When I see somebody roaming somewhere in field, especially far far away from village I always make a point in my garmin. I'm curious why and what he is doing there  ::). I will return and check that place when he is away  8) But if I saw cones or equal marks, be sure I would be there next day!  :-\

Navigate taking into consideration showel trace/foot steps on flat ploughed ground. Use noticeable stones instead cones.

PS.
I'm a legal day/night hawker  8)

Hmmm, a "legal day/night hawker", what does that mean exactly? Suppose you did see me marking out the land, how keen are you going to be to be to get "there next day"? Suppose you didn't know who owned the land, would you go for a little peek anyway? 
I hope you are not the kind of person who makes it necessary for me to have to dress up like an SAS reservist in full DPM when I'm out detecting, the kind that won't butt out and mind his own business, who would rather ride on the coat-tails of my success?*

I know for a fact that one farmer round here agreed to let one chap on his land but was suddenly deluged with other people demanding permission too.
 Firstly, he assumed that there was something on his property that he was unaware of, and he assumed the first chap had found something and word had got out, but that he was being cut out of the loop. Then, when he refused anyone else, he got the response "Why not? You let him on there..."

Apart from not needing to be harassed on his own doorstep, he found that bits of his land were being chopped up  by either people he'd refused permission, but who had decided to have a little wander anyway, or people who were so keen to find out what the legit chap was up to that they neglected to ask permission. The inevitable result was that the farmer now lets no-one on his land, full stop. It hasn't stopped people going for a naughty dig, and he absolutely blames the poor legit detectorist because all the problems kicked off when he gave him permission, after years of his father refusing any requests. You don't need to be Sherlock Holmes to work out that people had seen someone in a field with a detector and decided they wanted some of the action.

Now, I'm sure that farmer talks to his neighbours, he certainly talked in the pub to my brother who recounted the tale to me...

I'll be charitable and say your comment was  tongue-in-cheek, but it's sad to think there certainly will be people who will have no hesitation in steaming in where others are enjoying their hobby legitimately, perhaps after having spent a long time researching the site, building up a relationship with the land owner and sweetening them up to build trust and get that all-important permission.

Strolling over for a chat if you see me in a field is one thing, natural curiosity as to what I'm up to, but don't ask whose land it is (sod off,do your own homework!), or what I'm hoping to find (anything that isn't a pop tin or horseshoe, really). Better you stick to your own permissions, there's plenty of untapped land out there, despite what people think.
 I know how receptive I'd be to anyone who spotted me gridding a field then turned up with their machine, either having shot round to badger the farmer for permission, or assuming they could join me, that the land was now "open". They'd certainly get something Anglo-Saxon - an earful of expletives for a start!

* Meh, yeah OK, if I spied someone laying out a grid I'd be over like a shot to find out what was happening,  but not with my machine,  nor with the intention of getting in there. If someone's beaten me to it with a farmer, my tough luck until they give up!

SuchMuch

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 10:46 am »
Cornholio,
Do night/day hawkers exist in UK? As far as I know It's a problem in UK. So, do not leave them a chance, dress like an SAS reservist in full DPM 8)

"legal day/night hawker", what does that mean exactly? It means there are no permisions at all, this means any person can come and detect the field without notifying somebody. But it would be unpolite just to stick to the detectorist and detect there whilst he is present. I'd rather visit that spot later

And we'll never meet in fields, so don't worry about yr permissions and fields :)

Cornholio

• Gold members
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2015, 12:01 pm »
Aha, you're one of those funny-talking fellows from exotic lands far away, I see. Your grasp of written English is better than some of the natives here (no names... ;) ) My apologies for casting aspersions on your integrity, as you can tell it's a touchy subject here on this tiny island for some of us defending our pitches!

Don't be so sure about us not meeting in fields, being an avid collector of WW2 memorabilia, I'm VERY interested in detecting in your country. Know of any good spots?   :P

SuchMuch

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2015, 12:30 pm »
Aha, you're one of those funny-talking fellows from exotic lands far away, I see. Your grasp of written English is better than some of the natives here (no names... ;) ) My apologies for casting aspersions on your integrity, as you can tell it's a touchy subject here on this tiny island for some of us defending our pitches!

Don't be so sure about us not meeting in fields, being an avid collector of WW2 memorabilia, I'm VERY interested in detecting in your country. Know of any good spots?   :P

Yes, you are right. I'm from very big and exotic land  ;). But goals and means of detecting remain the same. As to WW2 I flee away from such spots.