Author Topic: Which is better width or length ???  (Read 4775 times)

DaveJ

Which is better width or length ???
« on: September 29, 2015, 12:07 pm »
So my question basically is which is the better option out of the two regarding 'Width or Length' and of course this is related to coils and nothing else,although we would all like to have both  ;D

This is one question that i have tried to find out what the best option is but as yet cannot come to a firm conclusion,and of course its related to 'coils',this is a example of my question.

Say you have 2 coils like the SEF 15x12 which of course related to the length being 15'' and the width 12'' but then you have a NEL Storm which is a 14''x13'' coil but the width is 14'' and the length is 13'',so basically these coils are both DD in design and roughly although i have not worked it out exactly they are about the same size area wise.

Yes they are both different makes but as they are roughly the same are size which dimension would give you the possible greater depth ie the 15'' length on the SEF or the 14'' width of the NEL ???

Any thoughts about this one,both these coils would be used say on exactly the same detector in this case a T2,but as much as i have tried i cannot find any answer as yet.

Nigel at Regtons

• Regton Ltd
Re: Which is better width or length ???
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 12:18 pm »
For a direct comparison take the average of the two dimensions & that will be the equivalent round coil size. :)

DaveJ

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 12:28 pm »
For a direct comparison take the average of the two dimensions & that will be the equivalent round coil size. :)

Nigel,thanks for your words of wisdom,could have used a NEL coil on that dodgy ground last sunday  ;D

mikromegas

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 06:14 pm »
DD coil width is important for the depth ...

SuchMuch

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 07:44 pm »
Width is for depth, length deals with how much area you can cover. However perfect round is my choice 

DaveJ

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 08:22 pm »
Width is for depth, length deals with how much area you can cover. However perfect round is my choice

That makes alot of sense,my NEL Storm that i have just bought is wider ie 14'' wide and 13'' long,also the BIG NEL coil is 17'' wide by 15'' long,so finally i have the info of which dimension is the vital one for depth.Thanks for that

SuchMuch

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 09:19 pm »

That makes alot of sense,my NEL Storm that i have just bought is wider ie 14'' wide and 13'' long,also the BIG NEL coil is 17'' wide by 15'' long,so finally i have the info of which dimension is the vital one for depth.Thanks for that

In yr case you have got 13" wide coil (Nel Storm) and 15" wide coil (BIG NEL)  :-\