Author Topic: Threatened whilst beach detecting.  (Read 11388 times)

Two Tone

• Gold members
Threatened whilst beach detecting.
« on: October 01, 2015, 08:04 pm »
Hi All,
A couple of my friends were detecting on the beach last weekend and was approached by a man who in his exact words said ''you will get your head kicked in....... they have the detecting sorted here''. The middle aged lady was astounded by his choice of words and amazed that any man could inflict injury to a woman for detecting on a beach. They were under the impression that beaches were for the publics' use and did not belong to just a few individuals. They were both upset by this and it is a very sad situation when women are threatened in this way for the sake of a few odd finds and this does not give the hobby of metal detecting a good reputation. Has anybody else been ''warned off'' or even worse received any physical harm???

Rew

• Gold Membership
Re: Threatened whilst beach detecting.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 08:08 pm »
What beach was this? Why did the people involved not call the police.   Maybe loads of local detectorists could swamp that beach every week lol
I do it with an AKA Sorex Pro

oscar6972

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 08:14 pm »
That's diabolical behaviour to anyone let alone to a couple of lasses.
I think it raises similarities to bait digging on the beaches. There are hotspots for lug and rag worm that have been fought over in the past by various bait diggers and they are very territorial.
They seem to forget that they do not own the beach and it's therfore public domain.
I wonder if this weasel would have been so keen to try his bully boy tactics if it was 2 blokes built like me and rew that were detecting? I somehow think not!
I hope your 2 friends are okay and back out digging as soon as they can.

Mr Kurtz

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 08:27 pm »
Quite honestly I wouldn't waste any time on this . It sounds like the kind of attention seeking bull your'e subjected too if you miss the last train home and have to spend the night dodging zombie drunks and nutters.

Cavelierchappy

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 08:35 pm »
27 Years in the CPP (Close Protection Protection game, now retired); have had plenty of (b)ankers making impotent threats.  Ignore such Neanderthals and scream with joy as they walk away pretending you have just found a Cartier Gold bracelet encrusted with diamonds.................. lol or better still find one! ;)

impos1

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 09:21 pm »
That's diabolical. Name the area and beach.  Anyhow its a sensible thing the two women were detecting in pairs and not alone. This is threatening behaviour and should be reported to the police, as this behaviour should not be tolerated.

XP Deus
Makro Racer
Whites v3i
Whites MX5

Rew

• Gold Membership
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 11:35 pm »
That's diabolical. Name the area and beach.  Anyhow its a sensible thing the two women were detecting in pairs and not alone. This is threatening behaviour and should be reported to the police, as this behaviour should not be tolerated.

Well said impos.

wittsy1

• Another day older today
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 05:40 am »
What a tosser. You always get the idiot factor. Thankfully most of us who do a bit of swinging would have had a natter and wished them good luck.

Two Tone

• Gold members
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2015, 07:00 am »
The beach was Boscombe in Dorset....... there was plenty of people around so although upset, it did not stop them from detecting. My friend did say she did not know whether the man was threatening her or whether it was a warning but his choice of words were aggressive enough.

redkite

• Gold Membership
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2015, 07:56 am »
We should have a forum rally there

Nuke em

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2015, 09:06 am »
There are a few beaches that are very productive during the Summer months and some people like to keep quiet about it .
That i can understand but not the threats .
Dorset is a very busy area in the Summer with lots of people hitting the sandy beaches and they do find a lot of Gold rings about .
In the past i have been threatened but not by detectorists , usually the odd lager lout who thinks we are all weird .
I can only say its the weird ones they should be afraid of  ;) .

huggybbear

• Gold members
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2015, 09:27 am »
I agree if someone could get a decent sized group together, and go to the beach en mass. To show these people they don't have the God given right to the beach. As long as it wouldn't stir up trouble for these women when on their own. Don't like to see people pushed around it really gets my goat.
                    John.

Rew

• Gold Membership
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2015, 10:47 am »
The beach was Boscombe in Dorset....... there was plenty of people around so although upset, it did not stop them from detecting. My friend did say she did not know whether the man was threatening her or whether it was a warning but his choice of words were aggressive enough.

Find out what day and a time two tone. ill be going down there.

nailman

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2015, 09:22 pm »
I was on Bridlington beach there was a old guy with a old c scope detecting, we had passed the time of day and went our own way.

I was on my way back down the beach when I saw this guy being harassed by three louts, so I walked across.
I am 5 " 10 15 stone with a long biker beard and bald head and was carrying a evouloution spade the jagged verity, when I got a yard away one of the louts turned took one look at me and all three run for it, I asked the old guy if he was ok  he was shook up, so we went for a cuppa.
Experienced button digger
XP Deus
Insurance company's are warning campers if your tent is stolen during the night you won't be covered

Cavelierchappy

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2015, 10:08 pm »
Nailman good for you.................... great to see some protection and respect for the elderly.