Author Topic: Threatened whilst beach detecting.  (Read 11077 times)

samo381

Re: Threatened whilst beach detecting.
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2015, 09:08 am »
nice one nailman  :)

Fdee

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2015, 10:08 am »
How good is that.everyone sticking together.

Willy muffit

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2015, 11:24 am »
PLEASE BE CAREFUL  some advice on here is not good !!

20 years ago in the winter time  I met a guy that looked like he had been in a car crash cuts all over his face 1 eye was closed and looked like a purple peach
turns out he was detecting on  Brighton beach when 2 youths started throwing stones at his coil he asked them to please stop
at that point they attacked him grabbing his spade beating him unconscious when he came round  he found  they had chopped his expensive detector up but they had taken the cheap spade ?
Deus 11" standard + 9" HF coil
T2 Ltd  + NEL Tornado +  Sharpshooter
Minelab Equinox

huggybbear

• Gold members
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2015, 12:16 pm »
That's why I don't like detecting on my own. If your wearing headphones you can't hear if someone is sneaking up behind you. I'm paranoid about that. I think the only reason I've not had any trouble is luck and my size. I went up to 20 stone when I was using weights but I'm back down to 18 stone. The only thing is I used to get people trying it on unless your carrying a spade.
             John.

gc-1023

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2015, 08:13 pm »
your phone is your best weapon .if you think you're going to get trouble,as  a non physical deterent . pull out your phone and take thier photo .then inform them that photo is now in the cloud and will still be retrievable by police regardless of if they steal your phone  or beat you sensless. when they know thier identity has been captured they should go away peacefully .
   i once tackled two  burglers in my barn ,.it got quite nasty with things being thrown at me spliting my arm open and one swinging my chainsaw around at me .
 i could have messed them both up badly with my machette,but i didnt strike .choosing to order them out my barn .
,i had the better weapon,why didnt i strike? .simple ,they were balaklava'd up and i hadnt a clue where hospitaling them would lead .
prison ,maybe not given farming allows you to own a machette.
but a good kicking from scumbag family /friends . buisness torching .who knows .
so threatening them with spade is not good idea ,the law is there to sort them out ,capture thier picture and tell them if they do anything stupid the law will find them .
   they might give a bit more verbal ,but physical stuff should be out of the equation .

huggybbear

• Gold members
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2015, 10:54 pm »
About fifteen years ago I had the dog out in a quiet part of the park. And fell backwards, there was somebody right up close behind me and I had fallen over his feet. Well I landed on top of him winding him and he crept away. Did he have a knife ? There's some times you have to defend yourself. I used to have a neighbour who used to be a doorman and somebody used a knife on him, he nearly died. I don't like violence but if needs must. The fights I've seen, a few have been started by cowards and they've attacked from behind, so no chance to use a phone.
                   John.

Rew

• Gold Membership
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2015, 11:27 pm »
There are several types of state that door men are involved with. When your at home or enjoying yourself at the beach or a family dinner get together your be on your least awareness for trouble, (Green). When driving, crossing roads, people walking towards you,  you  should become Amber state. People getting aggressive, shouting, running at you, fire you then go into red state, your utmost heightened alertness.
We should be on green state, relaxed when doing metal detecting, but it looks like really we need to up this a little to amber. Become a little more aware of what is going on around us. Ask your selves questions like, ' that man was detecting in a straightish line and now he's coming towards me, Why.    One minute i was in this field alone, now a stranger is walking towards me, why.  If your on a beach, detect away from small groups of people, keep an eye on them, do they pose a threat.
I do it with an AKA Sorex Pro

huggybbear

• Gold members
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2015, 11:44 pm »
Also forgot to add a lot of the toe rags are not in the slightest bit worried about the police. You see it on the television all the time, a knicked car chased and caught by the police.
And the court hands out a fine of a hundred and fifty quid, and twelve points on their licence.
The licence that they haven't got because they haven't passed a driving test. And if they use knife on you and stab you they get nine months probation.
And if you defend yourself against a knife and jab them in the face with your spade you get banged up for twelve months.
Until the criminals get treated the way they deserve we need to be on our guard.
                      John.

huggybbear

• Gold members
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2015, 12:29 am »
The neighbour that was stabbed I remember him saying the lad that knifed him wasn't causing trouble or mouthing off, I don't know if he was going in or coming out. It must be at least twenty five years since that happend and stabbings were quite rare then. It's really in the last ten years that knifing's and knife crime have become more common.
                     John.

Rew

• Gold Membership
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2015, 07:59 am »
Huggy, where on earth do you live.
I do it with an AKA Sorex Pro

Cavelierchappy

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2015, 09:15 am »
I've been attacked in my past profession (retired now) with knives and other objects (many times), actually stabbed (three times), shot in the back of the neck once.  Over 27 years of work I have experienced many amateur and professional attacks aimed at the clients we protected around the world.  What I can say is in the UK it is a rare occasion that trouble comes my way, quite simple because 1. Don't look or act like a victim.  2. If approached in a way that tells you trouble may be coming your way, then respond accordingly.  If the aggressor comes with a group of sheep then focus on the aggressor not the sheep.  When the aggressor realizes your not a soft touch physically or verbally he will look elsewhere for his entertainment (always try to let him keep his dignity in front of the sheep that follow him)(but if sh#t hits the fan, then blow his dignity, deal with him with up most prejudice (his sheep will make a lot of noise but will melt away once their leader is embarrassed in front of them) never the best ending though)).  Also if all is lost do not think of the law and how far you can go in protecting yourself (your enemy will not be considering this), use whatever means to win enough ground to make your escape.  I have worked with many women who are very capable of making mincemeat out of men, whether armed or not, but if you are a woman with little physical intervention experience then do what is necessary.  As mentioned before always safer to walk in pairs, if confronted then always remember no matter how powerful the man or woman looks (ie muscle), there are always constant soft areas that are fragile ie throat, ears, ect.  For the most part as mentioned before be aware of your environment and don't wait to put on the act of 'I take no bullshit' until the individual is in your face.  If you notice trouble 100 mtrs coming your way, then change your persona to 'I don't take bullshit' immediately, you may be surprised, he or they may change their minds before they come into your face.  It can work, I keep telling my wife you act like a victim and you eventually become a victim.

huggybbear

• Gold members
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2015, 10:02 am »
Newcastle Upon Tyne. But if you think that was bad!
When me and the brother inlaw were subcontracting for the council, in  a rough part of  the (Toon) or to be more specific Walker.
The housing manager of a few blocks of flats was doing his rounds, he was on the stairwell. He was very quiet and wouldn't say boo to a goose, when he was attacked by one of the residents with a snooker cue. He was beaten unconcious and he didn't even fight back. He even knew who had attacked him, was he drunk or on drugs I don't know.
In that sort of situation you have to fight, you would throw them down that stairs even if you went down yourself, because you could get beaten to death.
 Another time we were out and about in the van we saw a council pickup one of the housing repair teams, stopped across the road.
We got out and saw a Bull Terrier attacking a Golden Retriever, it had it by the thoat and the dog had given up and was just lying there preparing to die.
The lads in the gang were hitting the terrier with copper pipe but that didn't have any effect, so a lad I went to school with, got a two inch square steel gate post, and speared it through the back, it must have gone in about three or four inches.
And the dog ran off.
After that the lads started on the owner who had been using a paper the hit the dog. They were saying what if it had been a bairn, he had the dog to look hard but had no control over it.
I've got loads of story's like that, what I've seen.
We used to go to all the rough areas where the council or police wouldn't go to.
 They even had a mini riot when a kid in a knicked car crashed it and was hurt when being pursued by the police.
They set up burning road blocks and burnt out about a dozen empty houses. And pelted the firemen with bricks to keep them back.
                       John.

Cornholio

• Gold members
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2015, 11:47 am »
Hmmm, are you trying to scare us off and keep that patch to yourself? :P

As has been said, don't act like a victim and you'll deter all but the most determined assailant before they even get to you with your body language. Failing that, I find re-adjusting my attire, tucking my shirt in, thereby momentarily revealing my Kabar ("it's for digging officer, naturally, what else?") will do the trick, even deters people who are approaching without malice! That's a last resort though and I certainly wouldn't whip it out on anyone, it means the situation is out of control by then and anything could happen, generally something very bad for all involved. I sincerely hope I've swerved round the issue, even to the point of retreat, before even thinking that cold steel is my only way out.

Avoidance is the best defence, it doesn't take much common sense to check your surroundings out before you even park up to go detecting. If the do-as-you-likeys are pitched up nearby, perhaps come back next week when they are miles away. Disappointing, yes, to have to change your plans,  but better than attracting unwelcome attention.

We all know how intriguing a solitary figure in a field is, to the "general public" he is just as appealing - "What's he doing? What's he found? Why there? Ever found any gold mate? I've always wanted to buy a metal detector..." etc etc. Despite all the camo, you'll be spotted by many people wandering past your search, but it helps to not boldly stride by a pub garden with all your gear, advertising your presence to all and sundry. Be discreet, glasshopper.

There's also the image of the detectorist as, well, um...let's just say "someone who keeps himself to himself"...and maybe wears an anorak a lot. To a bunch of lads who scope in on him, the hapless dweeb in the field might be a source of amusement and fun, which easily gives way to escalating nastiness if allowed. Being aware of people approaching and standing up ready to greet them with a smile, and to field more questions about "all those coins that bloke found down South", long before they actually get to you will help you assess their intent and subconsciously project that you aren't easy prey if they feel like having a go. No-one's going to catch me on my knees, engrossed in a hole, not for the sake of a good look round every now and then.

Pay attention to your surroundings and the local "wildlife" and you'll be fine, wherever you detect (apart from Newcastle, obviously!)

huggybbear

• Gold members
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2015, 12:07 pm »
But as mentioned earlier if your going to get a kicking or worse, what have you to lose. Go for the mouthy one and they will usually back off. It's just with headphones on your vulnerable you won't hear them. They'll hit you across the back with a lump of wood or try and knock you out with one punch.
But because they are cowards the attack will come from behind. No queensbury rules with the scum I'm on about.
                      John.

Cavelierchappy

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2015, 12:34 pm »
Yep John bang on there............ pack mentality (cowards), good old days of 'Queensberry rules' long gone; no honor these days and most certainly little respect for those going about their business with no intention to hurt anyone.