Author Topic: Threatened whilst beach detecting.  (Read 11074 times)

Rew

• Gold Membership
Re: Threatened whilst beach detecting.
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2015, 01:13 pm »
Newcastle upon Tyne. I won't be going there for my summer holiday.
I do it with an AKA Sorex Pro

huggybbear

• Gold members
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2015, 02:14 pm »
Newcastle is a great city it's just if you go to the wrong parts, the sink estates. Almost all the cities have bad areas. Remember Sting, (Gordon Sumner) comes from Wallsend where I live, which borders Newcastle. The ordinary folk on the street, you couldn't find more generous or honest people anywhere. A lot of the bad apples were born in the late seventies or early eighties, and come from estates which were built around the same time. Which thankfully have been demolished now. What replaced them are Scandinavian style yuppie houses.

The rot seemed to set in when they stopped corpral punishment, the cane or belt even a cuff round the ear.
That would stop any back answering. Now it's if you touch me I'll have the police on you or me Dad will give you a kicking.
Newcastle has been voted number two in an international poll of party cities just behind Rio Janeiro a couple of times. Also Newcastle is a host city to the Rugby World Cup, the tourists love the city as it's friendly and as a whole safe.
It's meant to be the safest big city in the country.
Just do the same when detecting if you know the area don't push your luck. If your well out in the sticks you should be safer it'll be neutral territory. Not like, what are you doing on my patch.
                   John.

Martynf65

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2015, 04:08 pm »
I would LOVE to turn up en mass with LOTS of other detectorists to 'prove a point' to these cavemen with very very very small things!! :O

paul goswell

« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2015, 04:29 pm »
well done nailman

gonzo

• Gold members
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2015, 11:12 am »
It's all about awareness,many of us go about our daily lives totally unaware of what is going on around us.This should be a right for all of us but in this day and age we have to be a little more careful.
I used to practice martial arts years ago and our instructor said awareness was one of the best practices to keep you from getting into trouble in the first place.This is particularly hard when detecting as we all get so focused on what we are doing we become oblivious to what is happening around us.
A good practice is to set a target to detect to and then stop and have a good look around,keep repeating this all through your detecting session.I do this all the time on the beach and many times I have detoured off my chosen path if I see people I don't like the look of approching,there was probably nothing to worry about but i'm not taking any chances no i'm a bit older and fatter.
Best thing is to not go alone like has already been said,but if you are on your own do make sure you keep a constant check on your surroundings as this will give you enough time to avoid any possible encounters with any unsavoury characters.
Be safe,neil.

ronin

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2015, 04:11 pm »
I had an elderly chap once tell me that cleethorpes was for club members only and i better leave before he calls the police
Well i was polite tried not to laugh and asked if he wanted to borrow my phone  ;D

sadly with detecting theres an element where greed creeps in  >:( sad really we should all be sticking together

marius nielsen

« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2015, 04:51 pm »
i detect cleethorpes and humberstone beach when the the fields become a bit scarce,ive only ever been acosted once in about 10 years
a well spoken but up his own bottom sort of guy said to me "who the hell gave you permission to dig here your not allowed to dig on the beach" staying very polite and taking chunks out of my tongue i promptly whiped out my lamanated copy of my crown estate permit and replied "the queen gave me permission mate "he gave it half a glancing at and went off mumbling but it felt good.lol99.9 percent of the general public are realy interested in what im doing and i probably spend more time talking about the hobby to them .i wish i had a pound for every time sombody said "ive always a go at that"i hope they werent to put off this amazing hobby of ours.

scoobywayne

« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2015, 07:00 pm »
Nice one nailman. .......liked to have seen the look on their faces lol

Darrenk

« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2015, 01:18 am »
next time start the video recorder on the phone then see how long they hang around

or purchase one of those pen recorders  8)

Redfoot

« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2015, 10:28 pm »
Two tone where was the beach?

Two Tone

• Gold members
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2015, 06:39 am »
Boscombe beach.

Rew

• Gold Membership
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2015, 08:52 am »
By the pier or if your looking out to sea, the left or the right side.?
I do it with an AKA Sorex Pro

OldFartPhil

« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2015, 04:22 pm »
i detect cleethorpes and humberstone beach when the the fields become a bit scarce,ive only ever been acosted once in about 10 years
a well spoken but up his own bottom sort of guy said to me "who the hell gave you permission to dig here your not allowed to dig on the beach" staying very polite and taking chunks out of my tongue i promptly whiped out my lamanated copy of my crown estate permit and replied "the queen gave me permission mate "he gave it half a glancing at and went off mumbling but it felt good.lol99.9 percent of the general public are realy interested in what im doing and i probably spend more time talking about the hobby to them .i wish i had a pound for every time sombody said "ive always a go at that"i hope they werent to put off this amazing hobby of ours.

The Crown Estates Permit only covers the Foreshore which is the area of wet sand between low and high tide , to detect on the dry sand you still need to obtain permission from the landowner which is usually the local council :)