Author Topic: Night Hawking.  (Read 11933 times)

Gary

• Gary B
  • Administrator
Re: Night Hawking.
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2015, 11:52 am »
I have sent them a twitter message, twitter is very powerful for making complaints because they have to act on it.
@InsideOutWest

huggybbear

• Gold members
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2015, 11:57 am »
Just watched the program and they kept on about camouflage gear.
So if you wear camo gear your a shite hawk.  ???
Also they were saying that detectorist's  were digging deeper than nine inches that the farmer is allowed to plough. So in the two thousand years of ploughing that was carried out before the sites were scheduled, the ploughing was never more than nine inches, what a joke.
And if the first foot of soil is so important to them, why did they show an excavation that was three or four feet deep.
A good song for archaeologists is Queen's's I Want It All. ;D
                John.

Iron_Man

« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2015, 09:15 pm »
These programs always suggest that the nighthawks have, without doubt, stolen high value artefacts, the language always hints that a 'priceless valuable' item has been lifted and lost forever ..  / or some great historical knowledge has been lost..
The archeaologist in the program even suggests that a 'statue' could have been taken.. How many of those do you come across?  ;D

In truth, these guys probably had a pocket of foil, blank buttons and maybe a few unreadable grots, and they no doubt spent their time nervously looking over their shoulders for it...!

I think nighthawking is disgusting behaviour, and the selfish sods ruin the hobby for us all -  and they should be caught and dealt with in some way, but there are a lot more serious crimes going unsolved by our overstretched police..

I seem to remember a story of a bent archaeologist, taking and selling stuff on ebay before - I'm sure he's not the only one either..!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2333461/Raider-Lost-Vases-Archaeologist-jailed-15-months-stealing-17th-century-relics-selling-eBay.html

OldFartPhil

« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2015, 10:52 pm »
I have also complained to the BBC about this matter .

On several recent BBC programmes ( both Radio and TV ) that have covered the subject of Nighthawking ( Illegal metal detecting ) there has been absolutely no attempt to differentiate between this practice and legal Metal Detecting . This imbalance in the reporting of my hobby is both annoying and distressing in equal parts , I am a member of the NCMD ( National Council for Metal Detecting and detect legally on permissions . I show all relevant finds as covered by the Treasure Act to my local FLO ( Finds Liason Officer ) at Derby Museum and am a member of the Portable Antiquities Scheme as well . Metal Detecting is not only done by criminals but anyone viewing or listening to your programmes could quite easily gain that impression .

I hope to hear back from them in the next two weeks :)

eric

« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2015, 01:56 pm »
its bad enough finding things in daylight i cant believe these desparadoes find much in the dark ,livestock russlers must fare better ,and machinery thieves do better at night .
the big finds are hyped up IMO.

MarkSussex

• Gold members
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2015, 02:33 pm »
Did you ever hear anything back?

On several recent BBC programmes ( both Radio and TV ) that have covered the subject of Nighthawking ( Illegal metal detecting ) there has been absolutely no attempt to differentiate between this practice and legal Metal Detecting . This imbalance in the reporting of my hobby is both annoying and distressing in equal parts , I am a member of the NCMD ( National Council for Metal Detecting and detect legally on permissions . I show all relevant finds as covered by the Treasure Act to my local FLO ( Finds Liason Officer ) at Derby Museum and am a member of the Portable Antiquities Scheme as well . Metal Detecting is not only done by criminals but anyone viewing or listening to your programmes could quite easily gain that impression .

Full Deus ws5 headphones
XP Mi6 pinpointer
Lesche Raptor
JRC stainless

Youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNS-zmXG4aqq7jc1Ya4lPow/videos

OldFartPhil

« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2015, 04:14 pm »
Did you ever hear anything back?

Yes , I had to send them another e-mail with details of the actual offending programmes and am still waiting for the result but they did say they are actively investigating the issue :)