Author Topic: Looking for first metal detector  (Read 9732 times)

JCB

Re: Looking for first metal detector
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2015, 05:11 pm »
Yeah thanks mate I do like the sound of that Vista Mini

gonzo

• Gold members
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2015, 06:25 pm »
I'd take a serious look at the c scope cs3mxi as well which can be purchased for slightly less than the deeptech.
This is a fantastic little detector which is simple to use but has great performance.It also runs at a higher frequency(17khz) than the deeptech which makes it slightly more sensitive to tiny silver coins like hammered farthings.There's also plenty of depth(you can do a simple mod to get a bit more),it's as light as a feather and c scopes customer service is second to none.
Don't worry about the lack of a ground balance feature either,this machine is set for our soil conditions and can be used anywhere without problems.There are some decent coil choices for the machine too making it very versatile.
These are often considered as starter machines but in reality they perform brilliantly,they don't need loads of bells and whistles,half of which are useless,to get the job done.......SIMPLY brilliant.

gc-1023

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2015, 06:58 pm »
I'd take a serious look at the c scope cs3mxi as well which can be purchased for slightly less than the deeptech.
This is a fantastic little detector which is simple to use but has great performance.It also runs at a higher frequency(17khz) than the deeptech which makes it slightly more sensitive to tiny silver coins like hammered farthings.There's also plenty of depth(you can do a simple mod to get a bit more),it's as light as a feather and c scopes customer service is second to none.
Don't worry about the lack of a ground balance feature either,this machine is set for our soil conditions and can be used anywhere without problems.There are some decent coil choices for the machine too making it very versatile.
These are often considered as starter machines but in reality they perform brilliantly,they don't need loads of bells and whistles,half of which are useless,to get the job done.......SIMPLY brilliant.
love that statement that its set for any british soil .sadly all soil in uk is not the same . it actually varys quite considerably . And i welcome any machine with fixed ground balance to hit my four test coins in my  garden . had two garretts here ,ace 250  and at pro . both did crap job .
      i stand by what i said about ground balance ,75% of sites it wont matter ,but the other 25% you will be wishing you could balance your machine and cancel out the bad ground effects that will be masking your target just like iron does.
 a perfect example of auto tracking ground balance doing a great job was my test of gc-1023,1022/1016  v/s omega 8000 and gf2
little auto balance machines worked brill in my iron/mineral infested garden.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R65BDT_wb0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwErPhV8aMk

Gary

• Gary B
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2015, 07:04 pm »
Mini Maxx runs on 18 Khz, Vista Mini runs on 9Khz
Ive tested them all and so far no entry level machine has beaten the Mini on performance, however I can appreciate some people like to look at a screen and have buttons to press, others want to search wet sand.
We were all in your position once, to be perfectly honest I would say dont spend to much time dwelling over a first machine because you will soon be hooked on the hobby and wanting to upgrade within 6 months no matter what you buy.

gonzo

• Gold members
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2015, 07:21 pm »

love that statement that its set for any british soil .sadly all soil in uk is not the same . it actually varys quite considerably . And i welcome any machine with fixed ground balance to hit my four test coins in my  garden . had two garretts here ,ace 250  and at pro . both did crap job .
      i stand by what i said about ground balance ,75% of sites it wont matter ,but the other 25% you will be wishing you could balance your machine and cancel out the bad ground effects that will be masking your target just like iron does.
 a perfect example of auto tracking ground balance doing a great job was my test of gc-1023,1022/1016  v/s omega 8000 and gf2
little auto balance machines worked brill in my iron/mineral infested garden.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R65BDT_wb0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwErPhV8aMk

I don't remember saying it was set for "any British soil conditions",i said it is set for "our soil conditions" and it WILL give great performance in most situations.Yes there are certain soil conditions that can be quite harsh and will give any machine a problem but in most cases the 3mxi performs great.
I've used the "3" in a lot of different ground conditions and never had any issues with it's fixed ground balance.Likewise,a friend of mine has a lot of success with his fixed ground balanced laser trident in many different soil conditions.
Have you ever tested a 3mx by the way?

Gary

• Gary B
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2015, 08:20 pm »
Fixed ground balance is fine, in fact I prefer it.
There are.lots.of myths and sales terminology to make it sound more important than it is, such as Auto Ground Balance..no its not auto it's fixed. In most cases, at least entry level machines.
Fixed ground balance or pre-set levels are set at the factory against ferrite which is probably  the worst ground you will ever encounter. So you can take your machine pretty.much anywhere in the inland UK without problems.

Can't say I totally agree with  Nigel about needing to have a ground balance machine to obtain the best performance in the UK.
I always run my Deus at 90 and it works fine.

Now ancient prehistoric circuitry like the Arado, Nexus, Garrett Groundhog etc will require an accurate ground balanced because they can not compensate for soil conditions like modern coils and circuity.

gc-1023

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2015, 08:45 pm »
so its all been one big lie  :D
we dont need to ground balance machines to get max sensitivity  lads . ;D
and you read it here first.
and yes my cheapy entry level   chinese machine is auto tracking ground balance ,and the proof of that is it finds small objects at good depths on all sites including wet sand .
but theres no denying the ground grabbing vista mini would be better built and find more.

bentley240

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2015, 01:53 pm »
Ground balance isn't necessarily required by someone who's starting out, my advice would to stick to the initial budget you had in mind and take it from there, any reputable UK based dealer that supplies a warranty can give you lots of advice regarding entry level machines, for you own peace of mind don't be tempted to buy or import any chinese clones or take advice from the fan boys that are involved.

SuchMuch

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2015, 03:54 pm »
Y'd rather advice to avoid starting with entry level detectors, few months later you'll sell it and loose some money. If you are sure this hobby (metal detecting) is yours, choose pre top/ top metal detector.

or

Buy gf2 (Chinese clone of T2) without coil and buy aftermarket coil. You'll migrate to pre top/top detectors some time later and existing gf2 with aftermarket coil will be back up or quest detector

PS.
Thnks to guys who prefer detectors with fixed GB, fields still produce finds  ;).   

JCB

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2015, 05:29 pm »
Ok thanks everyone for the advise

Gary

• Gary B
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2015, 06:06 pm »
I think you have had good advice, we will be looking forward to your report with a new machine, it will help other newbies in your situation.

OldFartPhil

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2015, 08:01 pm »
I'm really surprised no one has mentioned the Technetics Eurotek Pro , it's a fantastic machine that is light years ahead of the Ace 250 :)

gc-1023

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2015, 08:47 pm »
I'm really surprised no one has mentioned the Technetics Eurotek Pro , it's a fantastic machine that is light years ahead of the Ace 250 :)
what machines are you using now phil?

OldFartPhil

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2015, 06:13 pm »
Still using the Goldfinder but i'm saving up for the Goldenmask 5 with 12" Fighter coil :)