Author Topic: When do you start researching?  (Read 5951 times)

Redfoot

When do you start researching?
« on: November 08, 2015, 10:32 pm »
I am totally amazed people keep asking what detector should I buy I have a budget of £***, before taking up the hobby buy the trade magazines look at the adverts for shiny bright new detectors, and also the second-hand machines, see what's out there, read the reviews look at the specifications, decide what areas you want to search as this will determine your choice of detector.

If you are new to this or any other hobby is it wise to run out and buy the most sophisticated equipment or metal detector not knowing whether you will take to the hobby or not? NO

Use your intelligence, if you get out there its cold wet muddy sometimes there is EMI or contaminated sites, getting permissions finding diddley squat to contend with so your latest toy becomes a curse destined for the loft while you look for the next big thing.

If your starting out one you need land to search on research getting a permission first, then buy a low to mid range second-hand machine try not to spend more than a couple of hundred pounds, get the manual, read it over and over till you can turn on your machine alter the settings to get the best performance from your detector, go on to your permission and search listen to the detectors responses regardless of what your finding, its called gaining experience! now during this honeymoon period you will find out if the hobby is for you or not, if it is then learn your craft and upgrade when you feel ready, if not sell your machine recoup most if not all of your financial out lay and move on to your next hobby.

Research sites your areas history it is part of the hobby and it starts from day one relying totally on others to do everything for you and giving you the fast answers means you are missing out on gaining your own knowledge and experience so when things do not go well you will know what to do instead of being left high and dry.

tig2

Re: When do you start researching?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 01:23 pm »
Sound advice! All the information we need is out there, just need to look for it. But the advice and experience of others is valuable too. This site is excellent reference.

oscar6972

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 03:47 pm »
Very good advice! I had to chuckle the other week whilst I was looking at a top of the range machine on ebay.

His reason for sale: "None of the tight arsed farmers near me will let me have permission to detect so there's no point me keeping it!"

He should have heeded your advise Redfoot!

DaveJ

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 05:11 pm »
Very good advice,but most newbies do go down that route.

gc-1023

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 05:25 pm »
for all newbies i would suggest this.when seeking permission take a cute kid with you .i have asked for four permissions . first one took my daughter ,the farmer saw her and got straight into conversation with her and broke the ice . when i popped the question he was going to have a hard time saying no to the cute kid he had just been chatting with .
next one was a busy land developer .when approaching him on foot he said hello to my four year old son and commented on his lovely curly hair before i got a word out . again success .
third one i landed by myself but have took my kids with me since and the landowner takes them off feeding horse ,rabbits ,etc.
his wife says they remind her of the railway children .
    i keep getting  told i,m always welcome and please bring my lovely kids .
forth one has said no at momment ,because she is old and her niece /nephew are in charge of farm .
plus i answered the phone to her badly .
but she is neighbours to my third permission and the couple have promised to do a written reference to hand to the niece /nephew and work on the old girl for me .
Cute kids can melt the coldest hearts .if you havent got any ,borrow some  ;)

oscar6972

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 06:12 pm »
for all newbies i would suggest this.when seeking permission take a cute kid with you .i have asked for four permissions . first one took my daughter ,the farmer saw her and got straight into conversation with her and broke the ice . when i popped the question he was going to have a hard time saying no to the cute kid he had just been chatting with .
next one was a busy land developer .when approaching him on foot he said hello to my four year old son and commented on his lovely curly hair before i got a word out . again success .
third one i landed by myself but have took my kids with me since and the landowner takes them off feeding horse ,rabbits ,etc.
his wife says they remind her of the railway children .
    i keep getting  told i,m always welcome and please bring my lovely kids .
forth one has said no at momment ,because she is old and her niece /nephew are in charge of farm .
plus i answered the phone to her badly .
but she is neighbours to my third permission and the couple have promised to do a written reference to hand to the niece /nephew and work on the old girl for me .
Cute kids can melt the coldest hearts .if you havent got any ,borrow some  ;)
Top tip that nigel, the permission where I've had my staters from was one where I had my daughter with me. We'd gone for a day out and I did a bit of impromptu door knocking. This particular guy had his little girls with him and my daughter started talking away with them. Before I knew it she was looking at horses worth them and walking around the farm yard!

I think the farmer was so impressed he couldn't say no!

tig2

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 06:22 pm »
Nice one Nigel, I knew there had to be a good reason for being a grandad.