Author Topic: Just treated myself to a new Whites TDI sl with 12'' stock and 7.5'' coils......  (Read 6305 times)

DaveJ

Just bought a new TDI sl,with 2 coils the stock coil and also the nice little 7.5'' coil,the price was some what rather advantageous so could not miss it,also looking at a slightly larger coil for slightly deeper targets but still keeping the sensitivity to single coins and i feel the TDI with say a 15'' coil could well tick all boxes.

Think this could well become a beach use machine as well as i have just bought a stainless sandscoop,so trips down to the beach more often could well be on the cards when the crops are in full growth mode.

Have only ever been beach detecting a few times so its all new to me,also its a detecting skill in itself,but will give it a try and see.

Anyone else use a Pulse machine for beach work or is it mainly multi freq VLF machines that folks use ???

petesenior

Hi Dave and good luck with the white,s TDI, i use the Garrett ATX pulse and although it took a bit of getting used to i really enjoy using it now just waiting for some winter storms to move some sand
go in to the beach section there,s a couple of the boy,s use the white,s pulse machine,s you might pick up a few tips for the beach
Pete  :)

gonzo

• Gold members
Hi Dave,
I search the beaches exclusively nowdays since I moved to the coast a while back for the simple reason that I love detecting by the sea.
I would suggest using your pi machine closer to the low tide line as there tends to be less iron contamination at this level.....at least until you get used to the detector.I search with a multi frequency vlf detector (not a minelab) for most of my searches but have just recently purchased a pi to give me that extra bit of depth on the cleaner parts of the beach.
So i've got the best of both worlds,the vlf for the trashier parts of the beach and the pi for the cleaner areas and for searching a bit deeper down by the low tide line where a lot of jewellry can be found.
I'm going out with the pi tomorrow for it's first outing so it will be a learning experience for me too.
Good luck with the whites and don't be put off if you find a bit of iron because you will.......just remember that a pi will also get you good targets that even the best vlf machines will leave behind.

DaveJ

@petesenior and gonzo,many thanks for your replies,i have a little experience with a Pulse machine but why i pounced on this one machine was the fact that it was a bargain price,i wanted one for specific beach use as i have never done a great amount of beach work,but when all the permissions are out of bounds during the summer then the beach option sounds rather appealing.Still going down the avenue of another Pulse machine and also seriously looking at a new Nexus MK11 as well for a main machine.

The challenge if you like is learning about beach detecting as the skills of the regular folks who can read the beach and how the sand shifting etc is really a learnt art in its self and can only be gained by experiance,always like reading about folks who can read the beaches and how these shifting sands can move  finds around into specific locations is mind blowing,but that will never happened here as i just would never gain the hours on the clock that folks live near the sea can gain every day.

Ringmoney

I use a big box Tdi on the beach, I also have a Minelab BBS but hardly ever use it now since I got the Tdi. I use it with a 14" round razorback mono that's seriously deep. I would not look at any other make of coil for the Tdi. Minelab GPX coils will work on the Tdi but they are not a patch on the Razorback/Miner John coils which are made especially for the Tdi.

http://razorbackcoils.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/category/655438?page=1

DaveJ

@Ringmoney,thanks for the link to the RB coils,out of interest do you own the open or close 14'' coil ???

Ringmoney

I have the open 14", the performance on both are the same but the open is a bit lighter. For their size they are very light, the same as your 12" dual field. They are perfectly balanced on the big box Tdi but might be a bit nose heavy on the SL. The come with coil cover but I don't use it as they are around 7oz. The prices quoted include free shipping to the Europe.

DaveJ

I have the open 14", the performance on both are the same but the open is a bit lighter. For their size they are very light, the same as your 12" dual field. They are perfectly balanced on the big box Tdi but might be a bit nose heavy on the SL. The come with coil cover but I don't use it as they are around 7oz. The prices quoted include free shipping to the Europe.

Thanks again,will be ordering one in the morning  ;)

gonzo

• Gold members
Just went out today for the first time with a pi...........i wish i'd bought one years ago.I will probably do a write up of my experience with it on the beach section.Hope you enjoy your tdi.