Author Topic: World War II: Battlefield Recovery- CH5 7.05pm tonight.  (Read 9698 times)

bob79

World War II: Battlefield Recovery- CH5 7.05pm tonight.
« on: January 09, 2016, 12:41 pm »
New series on tonight which caused a lot of controversy when it was going to be shown originally.                          It involves two detectorists going around the battlefields of Eastern Europe hoping to save historically important artifacts.
One of the detectorists is Addicted to Bleeps.

redkite

• Gold Membership
Re: World War II: Battlefield Recovery- CH5 7.05pm tonight.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 12:43 pm »
Thanks` for that

JBM

• Gold Membership
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 01:41 pm »
Thanks for a reminder. :)  Jerry.

oscar6972

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 02:28 pm »
I recall seeing one of bleeps videos on YouTube where he was quite upset about the trouble it had caused. Should be an interesting watch as he seems quite a decent fella with a good sense of humour.

Cornholio

• Gold members
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 10:32 pm »
I think that I'd have left one particular gentleman buried out there in the woods... :P

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 12:34 am »
Good programme, thanks for the heads up
Flirt with the dirt, beep, dig, dance....

Iffy signal

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 11:04 am »
The fact is that human remains should be treated with respect...
They most certainly were not in the original of this program.
Thus bringing our hobby into disrepute, making us all look bad.
Many people involved in the production have distanced themselves from it now and are publicly expressing incredulity at the series being sold on to new channels..

This gives the old school 'lets get detecting banned' type archies alot of ammunition imo. Not good.

impos1

XP Deus
Makro Racer
Whites v3i
Whites MX5

nealblath

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2016, 02:22 pm »
Was it only me that found that American pratt really annoying?

Gary

• Gary B
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2016, 03:19 pm »
So its ok for Time Team to rob graves then

rusty old bucket

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2016, 04:10 pm »
More info on http://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/jan/08/channel-5-accused-of-supporting-grave-robbing-over-tv-show-battlefield-recovery this program

Now look at the comments section , and click on the contributes twitter profiles, that's why there's so much noise regarding this program! If human remains were not found! the same people would have been complaining regardless, because the vast number of  hand wringing liberal archaeologists are so set against what they regard as plebs with there metal detectors!
Rex Sedet in vertice
Live a good life.

nailman

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2016, 05:26 pm »

There is a very thin line between Archaeological removel of human remains, which MUST by law be reinterred after a certain time, this allows tests to be carried out to see cause of death disease factors etc. I once helped excurvate 120 skeletons (Saxon) that we're going to be trashed by a pipe line.
And then we have grave robbing I have seen this on WW1 battlefield sites, the Archaeologists or contractors find a fallen solider and then some prat comes along and casually throws the bones to one side while they look for a cap badge which can be sold for a few Euros, there are thousands of gravestones in cemeteries with " Known to God" by disturbing the remains these prats remove any chance of the remains being identified.

Personally I don't condone grave robbing, or disturbing of remains for no reason.
Fair do's they did mention Blackdiggers on the program.
Experienced button digger
XP Deus
Insurance company's are warning campers if your tent is stolen during the night you won't be covered

Cornholio

• Gold members
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2016, 10:52 am »

The difference is that those dead soldiers out on the Ostfront were alive and well within living memory. Their close family may have no idea where and when their brother, father, uncle etc fell and have been living for the past 70 years wondering if...
  A body lying in a shell hole where he was blasted is not in a proper grave, not when it's perfectly possible to identify and inter a soldier properly with dignity and respect. In 100 years time, this will be of less significance,  though again, we fill in great gaps in our history by properly processing things found in the ground - we of all people know that.

As a keen collector of Third Reich material, I find the provenance of artifacts is a huge problem now to anyone with a conscience. Not so long ago, a huge proportion of stuff offered was cheap forged crap but nowadays it's increasingly the real deal, but looted en masse from such forgotten sites as on this show. It's hard to turn down stuff which may identify a pile of bones, I'm sure.
Eastern Bloc Govts haven't helped in the past, treating German war dead as trash and dumping it without due concern, whereas fallen Red Army troops were afforded every ceremony.

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2016, 09:55 pm »
Well this subject certainly got us talking.  I don't know the background I just watched the show the other night.  On it's own I thought it showed detecting in a good light.  The people in the show certainly made the point about doing the excavation for the right reasons, and identified the baddies in the background.

From my limited experience I cannot see a reason why archaeologists should be against metal detecting.  Not a justifiable true reason.
Flirt with the dirt, beep, dig, dance....

Ebygum

• Gold members
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2016, 03:12 pm »
the cocky american guy was worrying. his statement that he was a military tactician and new what he was talking about. just made me think of the charge of the light brigade.
luckily the JCB trench digger avoided any live ordnance on a known battlefield.
Eby
Did the stoneage end when they ran out of stones?