Author Topic: Digging Spade  (Read 5272 times)

dannyboy66

Digging Spade
« on: January 22, 2016, 02:35 pm »
Can anyone recommend a suitable spade for digging fines dont want it to heavy nor to long.
Does the spades which have the teeth down the side any easier to use.
many thanks
Danny

Nigel at Regtons

• Regton Ltd
Re: Digging Spade
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 02:55 pm »
The 'in' thing is teeth down the side however it can sometimes make life harder if the teeth 'grab' roots as you go down it can try to drag them with it, there are many different lengths, blade sizes, handle shapes and then there's handle material and lastly blade material to take into consideration.

Rew

• Gold Membership
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 04:18 pm »
I'm in the market for a second spade as mine is old now and sooner or later she will  break. I thought about trying one of those stainless ones, but they can't make me one with out the teeth in the smaller blade lengh. Sorry, but I don't want 40 odd sharp teeth going anywhere near a possible nice find. On a youtube video of a chap called, 'Pondguru', he actually cut his hand ::). So I'm going to buy another bulldog rabbiting spade and cut it to the shape and length I like.
I do it with an AKA Sorex Pro

dexters shed

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 04:10 am »
So I'm going to buy another bulldog rabbiting spade and cut it to the shape and length I like.

that's what I use from my pre ferreting days

Rew

• Gold Membership
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 08:08 am »
That's exactly what I used mine for. I got out of the building game and and worked full time catching bunny's. My spade is old now and want to get prepared for when it breaks. 30 quid spade has lasted 12 to 14 years or more. I can't remember the year I brought it, so it ain't done to bad.  For detecting though, I cut the blade down in length and width and weld one foot guard on.

redkite

• Gold Membership
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 09:05 am »
I have always used diggers from the  Black Ada range,now age says get a longer handle ;D ;D

samtaylor

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 01:00 pm »
check these guy's out, quality bits of kit, you can have with or without teeth  ;),

http://www.jrstainlesssteelproducts.com/#!gallery/c144a

Rew

• Gold Membership
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 01:08 pm »
They don't have the time to make one off's anymore. The blade is to big for me personally. Its to long and i dont like the wings at foot rest. The smaller one they now do with a trifold blade they can only do with teeth. It was one of these that pond guru on YouTube sliced his finger on.