Author Topic: 9 volt battery safety advice !!  (Read 5419 times)

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
9 volt battery safety advice !!
« on: February 29, 2016, 07:24 pm »
Many of us use 9 volt batteries in pin pointers.  On Saturday I put a spare in my pocket after removing the packaging.  On Sunday I used my detecting jacket for a country walk with the missus to keep the cold out.  When we arrived at the country park I noticed that the battery was incredibly hot, so much so that I couldn't hold it for more than a few seconds.

The battery has warped slightly near the points and I have disposed of it.   I researched this and apparently if a piece of metal crosses both points on a 9 volt then it shorts and heats up, and they have been known to explode. It was a result of me dropping my house keys in the same pocket and clearly a key connected the battery points.

This is why some 9 volts come with a piece of tape over the points.  Please keep your 9 volts in the packaging, or cover the battery top in a way that metal cannot connect the points.  If anyone has more advice please add to my comments.
Flirt with the dirt, beep, dig, dance....

gc-1023

Re: 9 volt battery safety advice !!
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 09:23 pm »
its not always obvious what danger a battery can pose .
i remember some turks tortured a guy to death with a car battery and jump leads local to us a few decades back . couldnt believe 12 volt battery had killed him .
then i read that something like ten people a year die from testing little 9volt batteries on thier tongue .
you know the one . two batterys on the side ones new the other is dead . lick it if you have a strong ticker ,dont if your not sure .  ???

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 10:11 pm »
It's a sad, scary world, to think that people can even behave that way, and I don't mean licking batteries  :(

Rew

• Gold Membership
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 12:04 am »
I don't mean to go off the subject of licking 9volt batteries, shocking. ;)
A few years back I had been using linseed oil and applying it with a  piece of toilet roll. Afterwards i threw the toilet  paper that had the linseed oil in it, in to the kitchen bin. We poped out for a few hours and on our return cold smell burning. It turned out it was the bog roll , it had raised to such a tempature that it was on the brink of self lighting. So, beware of this one too.

Back to licking terminals :D
I do it with an AKA Sorex Pro

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 10:38 am »
I don't mean to go off the subject of licking 9volt batteries, shocking. ;)
A few years back I had been using linseed oil and applying it with a  piece of toilet roll. Afterwards i threw the toilet  paper that had the linseed oil in it, in to the kitchen bin. We poped out for a few hours and on our return cold smell burning. It turned out it was the bog roll , it had raised to such a tempature that it was on the brink of self lighting. So, beware of this one too.

Back to licking terminals :D

Did the linseed oil react with something or does it have a low flashpoint? And continuing with oil, I have heard mates mention "oiling up" their spades, at first I thought they had an unhealthy relationship with it but I understand it has a benefit?

huggybbear

• Gold members
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 12:10 pm »
It's because it's an oxidising agent  I don't know the exact process, was never very good at chemistry. But I've read of few houses being burnt down when people have thrown oily rags in the bin and spontaneously bursting into flames.
   John.

Rew

• Gold Membership
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 12:21 pm »
I think it self heated. It was surrounded by other stuff which I can't remember what stuff but nothing out of the ordinary. It was very hot i remember that.

I do it with an AKA Sorex Pro

Sven

• Nokta Anfibio Multi, Tesoro, Compass, Mirage Pi...
    • Treasure Hunting & Vintage-Classic Metal Detectors
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 12:56 pm »
They have battery caps to keep 9 volt batteries from arcing, creating a spark in your pocket and setting yourself ablaze

Linseed oil on a rag in open air can end up with heated results. Long ago I used to seal gun stocks with Linseed oil.....I made sure the rags went into a metal safety can.
When the mummy of King Tutankhamen was examined by Howard Carter, he described the mummy as a "charred wreck". Investigation of the mummy by archeologist Chris Naunton revealed that, with the hasty preparations for the burial, after the body was sealed in its tomb, the linseed oil and linen used in elements of the mummification process resulted in spontaneous combustion that charred the body.
Treasure Hunting & Vintage-Classic Metal Detectors
Free Downloads at my website:
  http://www.treasurelinx.com/home1.html

DaveJ

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 05:50 pm »
Interesting subject,having to keep my spare battery safe for my TDI Pro a 14.4v Li-Ion battery can be deadly when shot circuited,they a not cheap either at over £100 a throw.

Willy muffit

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 05:56 pm »
I really am surprised that its not completely blindingly obvious

that a 9v battery will be very easy to short out in your pocket if one of the terminals is not insulated ?
Deus 11" standard + 9" HF coil
T2 Ltd  + NEL Tornado +  Sharpshooter
Minelab Equinox

The oil man

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 07:26 pm »
 Nothing surprises me, some lads from a village near me were recently caught stealing car batteries and drinking the battery acid!  ::)
I came in to the world with nothing and still have most of it left 

Deeptech Vista X  + Perseverance

Smogboy

• Gold members
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2016, 08:15 pm »
I heard it was four lads eating fireworks and drinking battery acid,they were arrested by the police. Two were let off and two were charged..

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2016, 12:08 am »
I really am surprised that its not completely blindingly obvious

that a 9v battery will be very easy to short out in your pocket if one of the terminals is not insulated ?

Me too, I don't consider myself uneducated but it's something I never knew.  And from the feedback I have read a lot of people the world over are the same.  I guess it's only by luck that cases are rare but because of this the risks are not publicised or taught on a bigger scale.

The oil man

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2016, 05:17 am »
I heard it was four lads eating fireworks and drinking battery acid,they were arrested by the police. Two were let off and two were charged..
   ;) ;D
I came in to the world with nothing and still have most of it left 

Deeptech Vista X  + Perseverance