Author Topic: Another Garrett ProPointer Heads Up.  (Read 3126 times)

Nigel at Regtons

• Regton Ltd
Another Garrett ProPointer Heads Up.
« on: March 07, 2016, 03:08 pm »
Just had a probe in for repair, Craig in repairs brought it into me saying he thinks it's a fake (I can spot the fakes at 100yds), took it out of the very shiny (unusually so) Garrett box, warranty form, instructions all look correct, can't rub serial number off, (still looks real to me), missing small piece of material in speaker exit (to stop mud getting in) and on/off rubber button nice & soft unlike the fakes which are hard rubber, weight was correct.

As it wasn't working asked Craig to open up & take a look, can't get to the PCB as the wires are too short.......mmmmm never seen that before, now that we've cut wires & removed it's clear to see, we now look at proof of purchase from e-bay, seller not known to us and sold for £77, checked members information, sold 5+ probes a year ago.

Confirmed fake, the serial number whilst you couldn't rub it off it was in italics, genuine Garrett are not in italics. So it seems they are evolving as they get feedback, this is all regarding Pro-pointer original, ProPointer II & AT have not been copied as far as I know.

The only reason it wasn't noticed earlier was because they bought it, tried it once & found it was rubbish and popped it into a drawer, over a year later used a real one & wow what a difference, let's get our fixed under warranty.

lobo

Re: Another Garrett ProPointer Heads Up.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 03:52 pm »
Fakes appearing everywhere. I spotted on Fleabay a "UK Metal Detector" seller, displaying the gold medieval brooch that I found in 2011. I checked the contact address which at first stated Derby, then turned out to be China. Of course my email to Fleabay went without receiving any feedback.

redkite

• Gold Membership
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 06:37 pm »
It gets worrying when someone of Nigels experience has to dig so deep to confirm whether or not its a fake :(

Blackbeard

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 07:37 pm »
Just goes to show.... is it really worth taking the chance on Ebay to save a few quid..!!
I remember buying my Explorer II on Ebay years ago and got done by a dodgy so in so, sold it on with a warn out keypad.... cost me postage to Ireland and labour and parts, thanks for that.... learnt the hard way lots of wrongens out there, don't chance it stick to a dealer....!!!