Author Topic: Choosing a detector on eBay  (Read 3935 times)

matt

Choosing a detector on eBay
« on: April 11, 2016, 09:20 pm »
Hi there,

I was just browsing eBay (I know, I'm better off going to a dealer), but I saw this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metal-Detector-Waterproof-LCD-Screen-Treasure-Hunting-Deep-Target-Power-Coils-/151882497769?hash=item235ce6fee9

Is that just a blatant attempt to copy a Garrett Ace 250? Sorry if it's a silly question.

Matt

Maxi21

• No gold yet, except a -
  • Gold Membership
  • Using Deus, 9" & 13" coils
Re: Choosing a detector on eBay
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 10:07 pm »
Yes - there are a few different cheap copies of machines around and fleabay doesn't seem to care or are unable to stop them. As always - buyer beware!
Nick

Treat everything & everyone with the respect they deserve.

JBM

• Gold Membership
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 11:07 pm »
Some copies are as good as the real thing. and well less than half the price.

ie FS2 heavily debated on this site which is renowned for free speech. ;) :)  Jerry.

Rew

• Gold Membership
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 11:19 pm »
On the third image there is a photo of Lobo's  gold holding hands thing that he found with a deus.
I do it with an AKA Sorex Pro

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 01:03 am »
There are some trustable people on ebay and it's good to check the sellers thoroughly.  As with most things in life if the deal seems to be too good to be true......................
Flirt with the dirt, beep, dig, dance....

lobo

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 11:26 am »
On the third image there is a photo of Lobo's  gold holding hands thing that he found with a deus.

It's on a couple of Detector Ads Rew.   I told Ebay it's an infringement and misleading, but as usual they took no notice.

dexters shed

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 04:07 pm »
I've found with ebay and counterfeit goods, complaining falls on deaf ears, but buy it and then complain, they can't deal with it quick enough, last year a chinese company made the first copy flow frame for beekeeping, used pictures from the original website etc, loads complained, yet the seller was allowed to stay, I therefore purchased the item, once delivered I complained of counterfeit goods using other peoples pictures, at first was told it could take upto 48hrs to sort out, when in fact they took action within 2 minutes, gave me a full refund and told me to bin the items

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 05:00 pm »
Hi there,

I was just browsing eBay (I know, I'm better off going to a dealer), but I saw this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metal-Detector-Waterproof-LCD-Screen-Treasure-Hunting-Deep-Target-Power-Coils-/151882497769?hash=item235ce6fee9

Is that just a blatant attempt to copy a Garrett Ace 250? Sorry if it's a silly question.

Matt

It's not a silly question, but going by what I have been advised you simply can't buy a decent detector for that kind of money.

matt

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 05:51 pm »
Thanks for the advice.  :)

Yes, I'm definitely thinking about the real thing. Perhaps a Garrett Ace 150 or Tesoro Compadre, as recommended by Deep Digger Dan.

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 06:01 pm »

Yes, I'm definitely thinking about the real thing. Perhaps a Garrett Ace 150 or Tesoro Compadre, as recommended by Deep Digger Dan.

Tried and tested and enjoyed by many.  Have a look at the old U-Tube video that Norfolk Wolf did on Garrett 150 and 250.  I think he made the video for Regtons in Birmingham.

Nigel at Regtons

• Regton Ltd
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 11:30 am »
I've found with ebay and counterfeit goods, complaining falls on deaf ears, but buy it and then complain, they can't deal with it quick enough, last year a chinese company made the first copy flow frame for beekeeping, used pictures from the original website etc, loads complained, yet the seller was allowed to stay, I therefore purchased the item, once delivered I complained of counterfeit goods using other peoples pictures, at first was told it could take upto 48hrs to sort out, when in fact they took action within 2 minutes, gave me a full refund and told me to bin the items

I have heard & seen similar with detectors, both hobby & security, so why not everyone buy the fakes, complain to e-bay, e-bay will refund & take money back from seller and then the goods are binned & off the market, I like the sound of that.

NEVER return a fake item (despite seller saying no refund, e-bay WILL refund) as it may get back into the market again as the seller tries to cut losses (they know what they are buying when they buy from China so don't feel sorry for them).

Nigel at Regtons

• Regton Ltd
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 11:31 am »

Tried and tested and enjoyed by many.  Have a look at the old U-Tube video that Norfolk Wolf did on Garrett 150 and 250.  I think he made the video for Regtons in Birmingham.

He did indeed, we asked for a fair review, warts & all.

Rew

• Gold Membership
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 04:17 pm »
And he certainly did that. I liked him, he had a good since of humor.
I do it with an AKA Sorex Pro