Author Topic: Pinpointer or not?  (Read 15393 times)

shooter

Pinpointer or not?
« on: June 15, 2016, 01:30 pm »
Hi Gary,

I've never seen you use a pinpointer in your videos.  I don't use them and just thought I'd ask.  I can't find a use for them and prefer to use the detector and coil that found the original object to winkle it out.  That's the way we always did it in the old days and there's no way I need a pinpointer.

Peter

Re: Pinpointer or not?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 01:44 pm »
www.youtube.com/watch?v=02QMc7J7iTA
 Look at around 5 minutes .20 seconds    ;D

I Wouldn`t be without my probe .

oscar6972

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 02:40 pm »
Same here Peter, some of the small roman coins I've found this year would not not have been found without my probe. Passing handfuls of soil pass the coil is okay, but when the little blighters have dropped into a small surface crack in the soil forget it!

I recall when I first started and how long it used to take me to retrieve a target without a probe, just can't do it these days!

In fact I rely on one so much I actually have a back up now too!!!

Willy muffit

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 04:24 pm »
I never go detecting without one cuts my finding the item time right down and can help in not hitting the target too
Deus 11" standard + 9" HF coil
T2 Ltd  + NEL Tornado +  Sharpshooter
Minelab Equinox

nailman

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 05:54 pm »
Never go out without one plus a spare battery
Experienced button digger
XP Deus
Insurance company's are warning campers if your tent is stolen during the night you won't be covered

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 06:00 pm »
Buying the Garrott Carrot elevated my enjoyment and ease of detecting to new levels.  Some conditions and hunts are fine with passing soil over the coil, but when it's needed, the pinpointer is the perfect helper.  I wouldn't be without one now.
Flirt with the dirt, beep, dig, dance....

rusty old bucket

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 06:20 pm »
I dont use a pinpointer, a few handfuls of soil over the coil and the finds in the pouch.
When I loose a small target the edge of the coil will pinpoint it.
Rex Sedet in vertice
Live a good life.

MarkSussex

• Gold members
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 08:55 pm »
The last thing I would need is passing wet muddy mud over my coil trying to find a target, then to pick the detector up again, smearing said mud all over the place.

I would not go without a pinpointer.
Full Deus ws5 headphones
XP Mi6 pinpointer
Lesche Raptor
JRC stainless

Youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNS-zmXG4aqq7jc1Ya4lPow/videos

shooter

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2016, 02:26 pm »
I always search in non muddy mud!  I'm with Rusty Old Bucket and will save my money on an unnecessary pinpointer, plus spare batteries.  Just something more to carry and lose.  A recent metal detector field tester has lost five!!  I need a pinpointer like a frog needs a motorbike ha ha. 

MarkSussex

• Gold members
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2016, 02:44 pm »
Perhaps that metal detector field tester needs to buy a lanyard, it says more about him than the pin pointer.  ;D

I always search in non muddy mud!  I'm with Rusty Old Bucket and will save my money on an unnecessary pinpointer, plus spare batteries.  Just something more to carry and lose.  A recent metal detector field tester has lost five!!  I need a pinpointer like a frog needs a motorbike ha ha.
Full Deus ws5 headphones
XP Mi6 pinpointer
Lesche Raptor
JRC stainless

Youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNS-zmXG4aqq7jc1Ya4lPow/videos

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2016, 04:39 pm »
Perhaps that metal detector field tester needs to buy a lanyard, it says more about him than the pin pointer.  ;D

Correct Mark, you can't lose them if you link them to the bag.  You don't know how good pinpointers are until you use them. They are certainly not necessary, but they are without doubt an advantage to have.  That's why the vast majority carry them.

Peter

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2016, 06:19 pm »
Isn`t this another one of those, Horses for courses type choices ?

shooter

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2016, 06:50 pm »
I agree, as I've done it my way for hundreds of years I'll maintain the status quo.  Learning to pinpoint properly with the coil on the detector was a basic requirement that seems absent from modern detectorists?  People seem to feel the same loss when they have left their mobile phone at home.  Perhaps I'm out of step but at least I'll walk on all the cracks the others have missed. ha ha.

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2016, 07:14 pm »
Isn`t this another one of those, Horses for courses type choices ?

Defo Peter.  I found all my targets without one, but I prefer it now I have one.  Others won't bother and that's fair enough.

Rew

• Gold Membership
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2016, 08:52 pm »
Its like Peter says. Horses for courses.

I've been out and seen people dressed and armed like their going on a tour of duty. Walki talki with mike, lanyards criss crossing their bodies, bomb proof jackets, small spades and digging knives and pinpointer all hanging from army belts, and the army belt resembling Bat mans belt with little pockets going all around it, filled with spare battery, bog roll, fags etc.  Some where a finds pouch can be found strapped to their leg, just  in case it should come detached from the main belt. A mobile phone strapped to an arm  :D I could go on lol.
I'm not knocking anyone who dose all or just one of the above as its what ever makes that person tick or feel that they need. We're all different.
I do it with an AKA Sorex Pro