Author Topic: Pinpointer or not?  (Read 14836 times)

rusty old bucket

• Administrator
Re: Pinpointer or not?
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2016, 09:20 pm »
Its like Peter says. Horses for courses.

I've been out and seen people dressed and armed like their going on a tour of duty. Walki talki with mike, lanyards criss crossing their bodies, bomb proof jackets, small spades and digging knives and pinpointer all hanging from army belts, and the army belt resembling Bat mans belt with little pockets going all around it, filled with spare battery, bog roll, fags etc.  Some where a finds pouch can be found strapped to their leg, just  in case it should come detached from the main belt. A mobile phone strapped to an arm  :D I could go on lol.
I'm not knocking anyone who dose all or just one of the above as its what ever makes that person tick or feel that they need. We're all different.
LOL ..the sons of Rambo
If you like your vibrators crack on, personally I see no advantage on the sites I detect.
If I dug pasture I would buy one again so as to keep the clod in as good a condition as possible   :)
Rex Sedet in vertice
Live a good life.

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2016, 11:46 pm »

I've been out and seen people dressed and armed like their going on a tour of duty. Walki talki with mike, lanyards criss crossing their bodies, bomb proof jackets, small spades and digging knives and pinpointer all hanging from army belts, and the army belt resembling Bat mans belt with little pockets going all around it, filled with spare battery, bog roll, fags etc.  Some where a finds pouch can be found strapped to their leg, just  in case it should come detached from the main belt. A mobile phone strapped to an arm  :D I could go on lol.
I'm not knocking anyone who dose all or just one of the above as its what ever makes that person tick or feel that they need. We're all different.
LOL ..the sons of Rambo
If you like your vibrators crack on, personally I see no advantage on the sites I detect.
If I dug pasture I would buy one again so as to keep the clod in as good a condition as possible   :)

Two very good points. I am by nature a "take everything" kind of guy, but I am learning that less can be more. I still love my multi pocket waistcoat but I don't load myself with as many "just in case" items. Travelling light has obvious benefits and I now realise that. The land you dig plays a part.  Stubble and plough rarely if ever needs a pointer, but on pasture it certainly makes it easier to return the land to the condition you found it.
Flirt with the dirt, beep, dig, dance....

shooter

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2016, 04:37 pm »
Surely dealing with the turf clod should be basic detecting knowledge?

This reminds me of one of the detecting surveys we did on a civil war site.  It was warm and dry and everyone was replacing their turf as neatly as possible.  We took a couple of watering cans and soaked every clod from the sheep water trough.  Later in that hot dry season the holes we'd watered stood out as green and lush circles in the field.  We even got a nice mention from the landowner.  Incidentally we found over 700 musket balls as well as hammered coins and all the normal metalwork.  None of us used a pinpointer!!

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2016, 05:01 pm »
Surely dealing with the turf clod should be basic detecting knowledge?

This reminds me of one of the detecting surveys we did on a civil war site.  It was warm and dry and everyone was replacing their turf as neatly as possible.  We took a couple of watering cans and soaked every clod from the sheep water trough.  Later in that hot dry season the holes we'd watered stood out as green and lush circles in the field.  We even got a nice mention from the landowner.  Incidentally we found over 700 musket balls as well as hammered coins and all the normal metalwork.  None of us used a pinpointer!!

It's amazing how many comments you see on dig adverts about poor hole filling and organisers needing to insist that things are improved.  Even undercover marshals keeping an eye out which should not be necessary among a group of adults.  I take extreme pride in leaving the turf so that you can't tell I have been there, as do many other people.  Irregardless of this, many still like to have a pinpointer.  Just a personal choice not a sign of incompetence.

mariothemoss

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2016, 09:24 am »
Me too Kieth do my utmost   to leave things perfect

wittsy1

• Another day older today
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2016, 10:03 am »
My pin pointer is the last resort. Very handy when you get to the point of "where are you, you little bugger"

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2016, 10:12 am »
My pin pointer is the last resort. Very handy when you get to the point of "where are you, you little bugger"

Same here.  Which turns out to be a tiny piece of scrap usually.  But you never know where a minim may be sleeping  ;)

JBM

• Gold Membership
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2016, 04:46 pm »
I remember the face of a man blindly  digging out a large deep hole only to find he had damaged a exceptionally  nice large hammy having creased it with his spade.He learned his lesson the hard way.
I would never be without a probe myself.
Another bonus being smaller more tidy holes.  ;) :) Jerry.

Shawshank

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2016, 08:15 pm »
I just look at as another tool in the box.

Mostly I just use the coil to help me but there are times that it is really really helpful. I'm thinking of the times when the target is in the side of the hole if the pinpointing has gone awry or for those awkward digs where it is really stony or even worse when it is very muddy.

I'm really looking forward to the XP pointer for the Deus as my current pointer can get on my nerves on certain frequencies. I just hope it comes on a lanyard so I can't lose it  ;D

paul goswell

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2016, 08:23 pm »
i agree rew so guys jump on the field like a swat team,they seem to love the sound of there own voice and if they do find some thing its a big celebration and dance.

Sharkeysend

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2016, 09:07 pm »
Going off on a slight tangent, I see the general standard seems to be for the Garrett pin pointers. With that said, I see there are other, much cheaper options - my question is, are the cheaper ones still functional? I don't doubt they are most likely not as up to scratch with the latest tech as the Garretts but have the cheaper ones performed adequately in the past prior to the Garretts? Or maybe they're still useable to some degree anyway? What are people's thoughts on which probes are ok?

Willy muffit

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2016, 09:26 pm »

I agree everyone should WEAR WHAT THE HELL THEY FEEL LIKE WEARING   ! ..............all we need to do is worry about the people that give our hobby a bad name the ones that dig up lots of junk and leave it lying on the fields or leave holes leave gates open etc
Deus 11" standard + 9" HF coil
T2 Ltd  + NEL Tornado +  Sharpshooter
Minelab Equinox

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2016, 09:38 pm »

I agree everyone should WEAR WHAT THE HELL THEY FEEL LIKE WEARING   ! ..............all we need to do is worry about the people that give our hobby a bad name the ones that dig up lots of junk and leave it lying on the fields or leave holes leave gates open etc

Very true Willy. They will be the first to start moaning when they don't have their hobby anymore !!

oscar6972

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2016, 09:55 pm »
Going off on a slight tangent, I see the general standard seems to be for the Garrett pin pointers. With that said, I see there are other, much cheaper options - my question is, are the cheaper ones still functional? I don't doubt they are most likely not as up to scratch with the latest tech as the Garretts but have the cheaper ones performed adequately in the past prior to the Garretts? Or maybe they're still useable to some degree anyway? What are people's thoughts on which probes are ok?

The only cheaper one I would use is a White's bullseye 2. I think you can get them for about 50 quid. You may have to watch where and when you use it as they aren't waterproof.

There are really cheap ones available but I've never heard anything good about them so I've always steered clear. My mate still uses an old sherlock DTS probe and he swears by it, they still pop up on eBay for 20-30 quid.

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2016, 10:20 pm »

The only cheaper one I would use is a White's bullseye 2. I think you can get them for about 50 quid. You may have to watch where and when you use it as they aren't waterproof.

There are really cheap ones available but I've never heard anything good about them so I've always steered clear. My mate still uses an old sherlock DTS probe and he swears by it, they still pop up on eBay for 20-30 quid.

I think the Bullseye II is tip sensitive only whereas the more expensive ones react all down the probing sides.  That said I have heard the Bullseye II does the job well for the price.  You can pick up the Nokta one for £80.oo and they are well regarded.