Author Topic: Beach hunting  (Read 3127 times)

IDB

Beach hunting
« on: July 11, 2016, 12:02 am »
I gladly hand it to beach hunters ,my wife had a family reunion in Hampton Va. I thought I'd take a detector and hunt on Buckroe beach boy that's harder than it looks the heat,kids, people,did I mention kids. I was hoping my grandkids would help me but couldn't get them out of water. I'm a relic hunter so there's no one to bother you.

Rew

• Gold Membership
Re: Beach hunting
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 07:25 am »
Lol. Late evenings early mornings are the best and by your self ;)
I do it with an AKA Sorex Pro

Peter

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 08:06 am »
I used to detect on beaches but eventually gave it up as a bad Idea .One of the worst things that happen is kids & adults pester you and you can end up like a procession scene from the pied Piper of Hamlin  ,so you can end up spending a large proportion of your time reluctantly talking as your walking ,instead of actually concentrating on your  Detecting. You tell me anyone that does a hobby that wants to be interrupted from what their doing rather than doing what they set out to do ?
 I also found a great deal of British beaches are quickly diminishing in finds as finds are no where near going back as much as they`ve been extracted . This is due mainly to poor weather the UK has these days as far as long hot sunny spells like it used to get. No long hot sunny spells,no people want to go to the beach ! Of course you will get "some" but nothing on the scale as they did back prior to the 80`s. In those days it wasn`t uncommon to get really nice Summers and wasn`t uncommon to get 4 1/2 months long of very warm to hot weather some years. Today ,your very lucky to get a couple of consecutive weeks of hot weather .
  Then you get the curious kill joys who demand to know ,...."have you got permission to do that here" ?
The last thing I want to get into in my quest for a peaceful few hours detecting is a confrontation as to my legality stance of my activity to some jobsworth busybody.
 So these days I leave the beach hunting to the  people that feel it "might" be a good Idea.

redkite

• Gold Membership
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 08:20 am »
As Rew suggested, I only go on the beachwhen there is no one about mostly early morning .
I have seen detectorists weaving around sunbathers , all that gets is a bad name for us.

Nuke em

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 12:42 pm »
I started out in 2002 and only did a bit of my own land when i had it or the occasional rally .
From 2005 i did a lot more land and joined clubs but certain commitments and the lack of finds turned me to the beaches .
From 2006 i started beaches and it became easier for me just to get the bus to the beach , from 2010 i got very into the beaches and from 2013 almost exclusively . Now its just 1 or 2 digs a year and the rest is beaches .
I dont get bothered much on the beach , if you have eye contact with people they will bother you one way or the other . They might be nice or just silly or sometimes stupid but i never get fed up .
I usually find lots on the beaches though not much Gold , coinage helps pay for the hobby and any Gold gets kept for a rainy day .
Beach detecting has a lot of variables other than people bothering you . You have to consider the weather , wind conditions , tides , ability to read the beach , Detector type , dry or wet beach detecting , settings far more than land detecting , a lot more different finds types , times to detect , sometimes permission and crown estate permission and the right digging tools and on many beaches patients .
If you get all those right then beach detecting can be very profitable if you have the right beaches .

But be warned there are a few things that will affect beach detecting in the future .

These are the fact that people are paying for their wares by card or phone these days , parking charges are getting higher , coins are being minted of coated Iron and they are very iffy signals sometimes and they rust and next year the Pound changes . If you search by numbers then that coin will be different numbers . Probably the same as the Euro coin .

For me the beach is where i will stay for the next few years . its too good .

Unless you have a field producing lots of Staters or something.

IDB

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 03:45 pm »
Thanks for the tips. I had jump thru some hoops which I didn't mind , I had to watch a video on how to spot unexploded ordinance from Fort Monroe ,starting from Civil War to World War Two.Thats nothing compared to what you have there.