Author Topic: Etrac v Deus  (Read 9350 times)

goldfinger

• Etrac + Ultimate coil - Makro PP - Roy's B Harness
Etrac v Deus
« on: August 04, 2016, 01:05 pm »
I have had an Etrac for the past 5 years now and have got to know it inside out now and I have been thinking of a change. The Deus has always looked like it might be  a good detector to replace it but am not sure if it would be suitable on my type of land which is 99% pasture. I have an Ultimate 13" coil on the Etrac and it performs well, even on small targets at depth, but I never find cut halves or quarters, only full hammered coins. Just wondering if the extra sensitivity to small items the Deus would give might do the trick.
Goldfinger59

Connor

Re: Etrac v Deus
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 03:06 pm »
 Hi, I just want to warn you, if you tried the deus ones you probably leave the Minelab at home :), I won't say the deus is better both machine are on the top range, the etrac is a deep seeking machine on clean ground, the deus performers better on difficult ground because he is very very fast, this will help you on iron infested sites, he picks the goodies between the iron, the etrac hasn't a fast recovery speed so he will have problems on those iron infested sites, with the etrac you will have to walk slow therefor you will make less meters than with the deus, the deus is a lightweight machine the etrac isn't , if you search a lot on the beach I will prefer the etrac, in my opinion there isn't a better machine for it then the minelab range, but if you want find those little half cut silver coins as thin as a leaf then I think the deus is the better option.
I had the Minelab range like the exporer 2, etrac, souverein, Gt, they are very good but not of this time anymore, I think XP has run- and take over the number one position!

Gr c

mr fox

• Gold members
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 06:38 pm »
Cant comment on etrac but I own a ctx and explorer before that and have a deus which is excellent machine for stubble but usless on pasture you will be sorry you sold the etrac for the deus if you said all your permissions were stubble then deus all the way just crap depth on pasture

Devonlad

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 08:28 pm »
Cant comment on etrac but I own a ctx and explorer before that and have a deus which is excellent machine for stubble but usless on pasture you will be sorry you sold the etrac for the deus if you said all your permissions were stubble then deus all the way just crap depth on pasture

I must reluctantly agree, I have over  five hundred hours of experience with the Deus, yes it’s light, yes it is unbeatable on iron sites and separation and yes if a cut half or quarter is in the top four inches it will find it.

Real ‘never been ploughed pasture’ of which I have been on for the last couple of months, where the small targets are likely to be deep, is problematic, all the deepest small targets have been iffy for me and never more than five inches, believe me when I say I have experimented.

I know some may jump to the defense of the Deus with claims of depth but I have listened and adjusted over the years to all the so-called deep settings and own all coils and headphone options including in ear and Chefphones.  It will go deep on lower frequencies without doubt but not on small targets.

I love my Deus and would never sell it, but for going deep on pasture I am seriously considering the Makro Racer 2, if I had the upper body strength for the heavy Minelabs then I would be considering one.

In answer to the opening post, you say you know the Etrac well and are finding small targets at depth, then stick with it, as it can only be a matter of time. On the flip side, if your detecting is mainly a problem because of iron, then the Deus could be a consideration for you.

Rew

• Gold Membership
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 09:35 am »
When I opened this thread, I thought, here we go another slagging match.   But a very pleasant supprise to read very honest, truthful and thoughtful answers.
Well done chaps.
I do it with an AKA Sorex Pro

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 10:15 am »
When I opened this thread, I thought, here we go another slagging match.   But a very pleasant supprise to read very honest, truthful and thoughtful answers.
Well done chaps.

Must also admit, that after several months reading Minelab v XP comments I thought this would be a punch up  ;D
Flirt with the dirt, beep, dig, dance....

Connor

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 11:44 am »
 We are grown up people :)aren't we :), I testet the etrack against the deus on clean ground with several coins silver copper gold bronze small.and big ones, the etrack will goes deeper on a big bronze roman coin about 2.5 /3cm, that's a lot, but when I put iron next or underneath above the object the etrack has problems to detect the coin, in some cases he recognises the coin as a piece of iron, therefore if a lot of iron is involved i would prefer the deus Gr c

Nigel at Regtons

• Regton Ltd
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 11:47 am »
Well done chaps.

Must also admit, that after several months reading Minelab v XP comments I thought this would be a punch up  ;D

The day is young......

The oil man

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 06:58 pm »
I was just thinking the same Nigel  ;D
I came in to the world with nothing and still have most of it left 

Deeptech Vista X  + Perseverance

Redfoot

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2016, 10:51 pm »
Just goes to show not one detector does it all, its horses for courses keep both detectors and have the best search options what ever site you find yourself on

Gary

• Gary B
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2016, 07:30 am »
At the weekend Wanderers rally a few years back we had a detector challenge at the XP stand. Some of you may remember it. A large coin was buried at about 11 inches.
Everyone tried their machines and the only machine that got it was the Deus, the CTX, The Goldenmask, The Blistool all failed to register, this was all in front of witnesses over 2 days.

Sure in some types of soil the BBS will go deeper but that's the soil matching the machine. Sometimes they have bigger coils and we all know a much slower recovery speed that all adds to depth. I have had some impressive depth out of the CTX on sandy soil.

The Deus talks a very different language you need to learn what deep targets sound like, this is why there are videos in the making.

Rew

• Gold Membership
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2016, 08:51 am »
The day is young......

I was hoping to set the tone. If it works that's another thing :D
I do it with an AKA Sorex Pro

needlegun

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2016, 12:40 pm »
If as you say your land is all pasture . Etrac .Because you only need the one program.Also,
Target s  sound a lot clearer at depth .
The basic programs on Deus go deep. On medium to large targets.They are my preferred pasture progs.Easy going.
I wouldnt worry about not finding cut quarters and halves. Unless they are Saxon they are pretty worthless anyway.
 ;)

13oots2

• Administrator
    • Comics
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2016, 01:12 pm »
They might not be worth anything but I would love to find one.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page and join the live chat

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2016, 01:16 pm »
If as you say your land is all pasture . Etrac .Because you only need the one program.Also,
Target s  sound a lot clearer at depth .
The basic programs on Deus go deep. On medium to large targets.They are my preferred pasture progs.Easy going.
I wouldnt worry about not finding cut quarters and halves. Unless they are Saxon they are pretty worthless anyway.
 ;)

Informative stuff, although I would not call cut quarters and halves worthless, regardless of monetary value.  Holding a medieval cut half in my fingers is priceless to me, and friends are amazed when I tell them all about it and explain what cut coins are. All part of the fun of the hobby.
Flirt with the dirt, beep, dig, dance....