Author Topic: Etrac v Deus  (Read 9351 times)

needlegun

Re: Etrac v Deus
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2016, 04:27 pm »
I was making the point that it seems a bit extreme to change a perfectly capable machine for the sake of finding cut halves and quarters.
By the way , the Explorers DO find cut quarters and halves with ease.
Maybe a case of they are not there?

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2016, 12:21 am »
I see your point but I guess if you ain't getting them and you desire them?  I agree though, from what I have read it's more likely that they aren't under the feet than those machines can't hit them.  You obviously have experience, is there a way to swing these machines to ensure the best chance of hitting small targets?  Maybe a little advise on techniques could be helpful here?   
Flirt with the dirt, beep, dig, dance....

needlegun

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2016, 08:29 am »
Using conductive tones and multi sounds is the way to go .As little discrimination as you feel comfortable with. I used 1 thin line along bottom of screen on Etrac and when using Explorer xs just the smallest pixel disked out in top left of screen.
Sweeping no more than i second from left to right and overlap sweeps.
Cut halves and quarters come in on a very nice low tone. Highest tones are iron.
A swing easy harness is a must for ease of use.

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2016, 08:45 am »
Using conductive tones and multi sounds is the way to go .As little discrimination as you feel comfortable with. I used 1 thin line along bottom of screen on Etrac and when using Explorer xs just the smallest pixel disked out in top left of screen.
Sweeping no more than i second from left to right and overlap sweeps.
Cut halves and quarters come in on a very nice low tone. Highest tones are iron.
A swing easy harness is a must for ease of use.

Goldfinger - These tips may be better than paying out for another machine?  From what I have read and heard, you have already got a formidable pasture machine mate.

Rew

• Gold Membership
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2016, 09:53 am »
Orientation of coin/half/quarter is. 
I was out yeasturday and dug a good signal. At 7" it just diapeared. Then i saw a glint of silver. It was the sharp end only of a ring pull on edge. I must of rolled it over on edge.
I do it with an AKA Sorex Pro

needlegun

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2016, 09:54 am »
I think goldfinger has a very good understanding of his machine.
I am merely saying how i used mine to find small sceats and hammered.

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2016, 11:13 am »
I think goldfinger has a very good understanding of his machine.
I am merely saying how i used mine to find small sceats and hammered.

Absolutely, didn't mean to imply Goldfinger needed any instruction but it never hurts to share successful tactics on a Forum.  Lord knows this group has been invaluable to be this year  ;D

goldfinger

• Etrac + Ultimate coil - Makro PP - Roy's B Harness
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2016, 08:02 pm »
Thank's for all the replies men, it's interesting to hear peoples thoughts and opinions on the two detectors.
After my last outing with the Etrac though, I am definitely gonna keep it for a little while longer (see my "How was your weekend" post) The small hammered penny of Charles 1st found at 5 inches on a previously well worked field was the clincher, it tells me my machine is capable of finding the type of targets I was referring to within 5 -8 inch range but also has the power to punch down to good depths for larger finds like bronze axes....not gloating  ! Honestly :)
Goldfinger59

Nigel at Regtons

• Regton Ltd
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2016, 09:13 am »
At the weekend Wanderers rally a few years back we had a detector challenge at the XP stand. Some of you may remember it. A large coin was buried at about 11 inches.
Everyone tried their machines and the only machine that got it was the Deus, the CTX, The Goldenmask, The Blistool all failed to register, this was all in front of witnesses over 2 days.

Sure in some types of soil the BBS will go deeper but that's the soil matching the machine. Sometimes they have bigger coils and we all know a much slower recovery speed that all adds to depth. I have had some impressive depth out of the CTX on sandy soil.

The Deus talks a very different language you need to learn what deep targets sound like, this is why there are videos in the making.

I was standing next to you that day Gary, the coin was a 10 centime copper coin very similar to our pre-decimal penny size, the ground was bone dry which we all know isn't the best for any detector but the depth was impressive, 17" (yes 17") & despite every Tom, Dick & Harry trying their X Y & Z with dustbin lids fitted not one could detect the coin, the magic program, test conducted with 11" coil in P5 with GB set by pumping, nothing altered or adjusted from factory program. Very brave test/demo by XP that day.

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2016, 11:43 am »
Interesting. P5 runs 8kh and reactivity 1. I am assuming this is a deep program for low iron sites and you need a slower swing speed ?

JBM

• Gold Membership
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2016, 04:59 pm »
At the weekend Wanderers rally a few years back we had a detector challenge at the XP stand. Some of you may remember it. A large coin was buried at about 11 inches.
Everyone tried their machines and the only machine that got it was the Deus, the CTX, The Goldenmask, The Blistool all failed to register, this was all in front of witnesses over 2 days.

Sure in some types of soil the BBS will go deeper but that's the soil matching the machine. Sometimes they have bigger coils and we all know a much slower recovery speed that all adds to depth. I have had some impressive depth out of the CTX on sandy soil.

The Deus talks a very different language you need to learn what deep targets sound like, this is why there are videos in the making.

I remember it well and the well known Minelab experts who walked away. ;) :)  Jerry.

clayman

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2016, 05:42 pm »
That was after you defected Jerry.

unclened

• Gold members
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2016, 06:06 pm »
gary did you try the vista smart on that 11 inch coin? I'm sure it would gobble it up ....

JBM

• Gold Membership
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2016, 08:13 pm »
That was after you defected Jerry.

I defected from Minelab 6 years ago having seen the light with XP Deus serial Number 008, ;) :)  Jerry.

PS As there are no pockets in shrouds, I do try the odd new toy when they hit the market place and the occasional good machine comes along.

Todate Alain loubet has them all beaten and thats why so many of his machines are seen on all the rallies and club events.

Connor

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2016, 11:34 am »
I wonder does anyone has the serial number between 5 en 10? Could be a wanted machine one day😊😊😊
Gr c