Author Topic: Locations at this time of year  (Read 2675 times)

matt

Locations at this time of year
« on: August 05, 2016, 08:20 am »
Hi everyone,

I'm pondering getting out there and asking permission (finally), and so was thinking about the state of fields this time of year.

I've read that it's the harvest time, so therefore there's no point bothering the local farmer. Is this right? In which case I should look elsewhere.

Matt

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
Re: Locations at this time of year
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 10:37 am »
The advice that I have read from experienced people on here suggests that this is not the best time to bother a farmer. They are busy and may not be all that warm to the idea purely down to the pressure of the time of year.  Judging by the state of my available fields yesterday and the difficulty I had detecting it may be worth sacrificing a few weeks.

A happy farmer whose harvest is complete, and cooler weather with softer fields may be your winning combination.  Certainly what I have learnt so far in my "infant years" with a detector.
Flirt with the dirt, beep, dig, dance....

Redfoot

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 10:55 pm »
The thing is you need to speak to the Farmer in order to get his permission, its the approach that matters do not go early in the morning or late in the evening, if you see him working in his field stop walk over wait patiently for him to stop open his tractor door, be polite ask and you will be surprised, tip here buy a high viz waistcoat makes you visible to the farmer.

matt

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 07:00 am »
Thanks for the advice.

Actually yesterday, on my drive home from work, I saw a farmer out in his/her combine harvester. This tells me it would be a good time to start asking permission.

Peter

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2016, 09:48 am »
 I`ve always found its the best time but that IF you can find the farmer anyway.
 In a lot of cases, its just the Contractors (doing the Combining)  that you see or the hired hands. Depends on how big the Farm is .
If its a small one then yes the head honcho can usually be found doing the work with his farm hands . If its a large to massive farm, you usually get just the farm hands and they`ll just direct you to the Farmer unless they`ve had instructions that anyone asking for metaldetecting permissions to be shown the gate..

The oil man

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2016, 06:41 pm »
You also need balls of steel to pluck up courage and be prepared for the walk of shame back to your car after a refusal  :'(
But,  if you get your permission you'll be on top of the world  ;D

Good luck  :)
I came in to the world with nothing and still have most of it left 

Deeptech Vista X  + Perseverance