Author Topic: Ace 250 machine with net tornado coil - can someone please advise me  (Read 8801 times)

Redfoot

Re: Ace 250 machine with net tornado coil - can someone please advise me
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2016, 09:48 pm »
Kevin sells good quality secondhand detectors usually with warranty he can also offer you good advice, be prepared to as him for extras in with your deal headphones, covers, maybe a trowel or scoop possibly a finds pouch, remember shy bairns get nowt and if you don't get the extra's as part of your deal then you will need to buy them anyway so try and save your self a bit of cash his web site is

http://staffsmetaldetectorsonlineshop.co.uk/index.asp?secondhand1.htm

rabert

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2016, 04:53 pm »
Hi there,
Thanks once again for all your kind info.   I'm 'getting there' a little bit -   I think  :)    We went to Maplins today . As I've never even seen a metal detector, I thought we may chat to someone and I may be able to look at one and it's weight etc.,     They had one or two on the shelves, bound up in boxes -     but nothing on display, but never mind.
I've been looking on You Tube also and it makes me more confused than ever!!     Some of the chaps seem great and so encouraging  - as they do on this forum.    And yet ...... new thread ...... for comments please.
ttfn

gonzo

• Gold members
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2016, 05:32 pm »
No more commehts from me im afraid.......im more confused than you. :o

rabert

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2016, 07:28 pm »
Gonzo,

That's impossible !! :)

gonzo

• Gold members
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2016, 07:30 pm »
Lol......you'll get there in the end bud,just enjoy the learning process. :)

rabert

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2016, 10:52 am »
Hi Gonzo,
Yes, it's all new to me and everyone seems so helpful and polite.     Just received a book from E bay -     Reading Beaches.   (I hope that's not 'Redding' beach - lol).       I am enjoying finding out things as I haven't the foggiest - literally!    I will do a bit of reading and checking later on today.    I suppose I shouldn't rush just cos it's going to be a prezzy as I probably won't use it until the Spring.  I would prefer land to beaches but it's just the permission bit that really puts me off.
ttfn chaps.

Peter

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2016, 02:17 pm »
Quote rabert ,....." I would prefer land to beaches but it's just the permission bit that really puts me off.".

Well ,that`s unfortunately part n partial of the "game". Sadly ,nothing is handed down to you on a plate , you have to be prepared to swallow the bitter pill and start door knocking, we all have to do it or have gone through doing it .
Of course ,no one likes a refusal, but that`s the way it goes ,some will give you permission, some won`t. You just have to take the bull by the horns and ask.
I`m sure every guy who ever asked his chosen girl at the time for a date would love a ,......." yes of course" but it never always turns out  that way does it, and its the same with asking permissions to go on farmers land.

AS far as the detector goes you really could do with making a firm decision whether you want a  beach detector or a land detector. Very few detectors do a great job on both situations, and the ones that do ,can weigh heavy to carry for long stretches of time.  My suggestion to you would not to buy cheap !  Because if you do that, you only get what you pay for and next minute you`ll be put off that much because you will be so frustrated at your lack of good finds and digging rubbish ,you`ll jack it in anyway before long . If you pay upwards of £300 ,you start to get into the " half decent " detector range,and your then in with a chance of being increasingly interested ,and your momentum will be steadily encouraged ,but try  listening  to the guys on here who`ve had multi years of experience before buying as they can steer you in the right direction but only IF you take their advise ,but if you carry on frequenting Maplins and such crap places to see whats available you will surely waste your money, because the guys selling the few they do sell , have  99% of the time no experience themselves in using one.
So why ask some one who knows as much as you do what to buy ?

rabert

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2016, 02:40 pm »
Hi Peter,
Thanks for your interesting post.  I 'dig' what your saying about land permission.   Maybe if I smile sweetly I will receive a positive reply, but it just seems rather daunting to me at the moment.
Yes, as soon as hubby and I went into Maplins (never been in before) we quickly realized it was certainly the wrong venue.   Staff around didn't approach us etc., and we quickly realized it wasn't the right place, but I was just hoping to see one on display to feel the weight of etc.,    We then decided if they did that, then their stock could be damaged in a store situation.    There doesn't seem to be anywhere in the North East where you can even get the feel of a detector but I would imagine they are not too heavy to handle.      The price isn't an issue per se but I just didn't want to be possibly wasteful.   Hubby says I should just have one  -  get it out of my system and hopefully enjoy it -   as I've wanted one for donkeys years but never really had the time.   I suppose I don't want to make the wrong decision on my purchase, but thank you all for pointing so much out to me.     (things I didn't have a clue about.   You all seem so helpful and knowledgeable).
ttfn

Peter

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2016, 02:47 pm »
Hi Peter,
Thanks for your interesting post.  I 'dig' what your saying about land permission.   Maybe if I smile sweetly I will receive a positive reply, but it just seems rather daunting to me at the moment.
Yes, as soon as hubby and I went into Maplins (never been in before) we quickly realized it was certainly the wrong venue.   Staff around didn't approach us etc., and we quickly realized it wasn't the right place, but I was just hoping to see one on display to feel the weight of etc.,    We then decided if they did that, then their stock could be damaged in a store situation.    There doesn't seem to be anywhere in the North East where you can even get the feel of a detector but I would imagine they are not too heavy to handle.      The price isn't an issue per se but I just didn't want to be possibly wasteful.   Hubby says I should just have one  -  get it out of my system and hopefully enjoy it -   as I've wanted one for donkeys years but never really had the time.   I suppose I don't want to make the wrong decision on my purchase, but thank you all for pointing so much out to me.     (things I didn't have a clue about.   You all seem so helpful and knowledgeable).
ttfn
We`ve all been in the same boat as you you won`t be surprised to hear.
 I am fully aware of the pro`s n cons of the first detector decision that needs to be considered. All I can say is you do really need to make a decision one way or the other if its a beach or land detector you would like to go towards buying. THEN, we have a starting point more defined.
 If you don`t live within close proximity to beaches then your going to be at a disadvantage straight away, so that needs to be taken into consideration too.
 If you decide its land you would prefer  to search then , try looking into joining a local Metal detecting Club up your way , there will be some somewhere . Where is it you come from ?

rabert

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2016, 03:06 pm »
Hi Peter,
We're quite close to empty beaches - few  rivers, some seaside places -    the North Yorkshire Moors are just a few miles away so I have plenty of choice.   I do prefer the country but just thought beaches were an easier start;  not having to do door knocking.   I do understand your guidance and appreciate the points you make.   
I was thinking (wrongly it seems), I could sort of practice easily on a beach and when my confidence grew then I could start looking to countryside.   (which may be back achingly harder)??   This seems to be not the right thinking?
 Re joining a Club.    I imagine the clubs would be mainly men members so I may feel 'awkward'.     Having said that, I worked with a preponderance of  men.   I suppose my next job is to check out where the clubs are etc., etc.,
Thanks and I hope I'm not wasting your time.   I just need to know so much.
ttfn

nailman

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2016, 03:37 pm »
We have plenty of female detectorists in our club, there are a few digs cropping up on Facebook
You say you're in the North East North Yorks moors area  there is a group called down to earth digs that operate in the Pickering area
Experienced button digger
XP Deus
Insurance company's are warning campers if your tent is stolen during the night you won't be covered

rabert

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2016, 04:39 pm »
Thanks Nailman, (are you called Rusty)?

I've e mailed a club with a few questions, so just waiting for a reply sometime.    Thanks, as ever.

ttfn

nailman

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2016, 06:01 pm »
Thanks Nailman, (are you called Rusty)?

I've e mailed a club with a few questions, so just waiting for a reply sometime.    Thanks, as ever.

ttfn
No Nailman is just a nickname I picked up  once found a box full of Nails so it was a fitting name.
XP Deus
Insurance company's are warning campers if your tent is stolen during the night you won't be covered

rabert

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2016, 07:15 pm »
 :) :) :) :) :)   Very apt.

nailman

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2016, 09:27 pm »
https://www.crawfordsmd.com/

Hi this  dealer is on the outskirts of Scunthorpe  proberly you're nearest proper dealer
Good people to deal with
XP Deus