Author Topic: Metal detecting phsychology  (Read 5662 times)

rabert

Metal detecting phsychology
« on: December 09, 2016, 05:08 pm »
Hi,
I wonder if anyone may like to comment.    Most of you will probably think my thought process 'odd' -    one may understand !   Here we go .......
I am just wondering why people do metal detecting - is  it  hard work?   I would be upset to find personal lost jewelry.   I wouldn't like the limelight of finding a Saxon Hoarde (but would love to find some history). A feew lost £1 coins ......    not really.     What are the chances of finding just the odd few, isolated Medieval coins etc., -     on a beach  ??     
Must admit I've enjoyed seeing some young chaps enjoying the beach with their Labrador in Felixstowe (wuff wuff) - so funny and the lad enjoying the countryside's scenery.    Both thought it a bonus if, after the fresh air and exercise, they found just a little something.    Perhaps that's the answer ??

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
Re: Metal detecting phsychology
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 05:30 pm »
I can't speak for the beach side of the hobby as I have only been once, although I did enjoy the fun of it.  On the farms I just find the scenery and the complete change from anything else I do to be enjoyable and relaxing.  And you never know what your going to find so every now and they you get a bonus.  I have made some good friends too.
Flirt with the dirt, beep, dig, dance....

nailman

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 06:32 pm »
There is a physiological term for what we do I was told it was the buz of anticipation that you feel when you get a good signal.
However I think most of use simply like being in the countryside the views and nature, once on the way home I saw a Barn owl on a fence post with a mouse in its talons, two weeks ago I was in a pasture field it was frosty with a mist and a fox hunt rode through.
I know a lot of metal detectorist are also anglers.
When I go on the beach it's just the waves and a chance of a few bob from the sand.
Experienced button digger
XP Deus
Insurance company's are warning campers if your tent is stolen during the night you won't be covered

rabert

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 07:27 pm »
Hi there,

Luv your replies.  I like the term "buzz of anticipation".   I shall remember that one.  I think that's where I must be - so thanks for that.    It seems to sum it up nicely.   What a treat to see an owl etc.,      That makes me quite keen to buy the machine and start the dream !

ttfn.

JBM

• Gold Membership
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 03:11 pm »
I have a number of reasons for being a detectorist.

As one of the very oldest active detectorists it keeps me young in mind an body despite mother nature trying to take her course.

When I get the call to go home I don't want a marker,but have the satisfaction of my retrieved finds from yesteryear in museums and catalogued finds boxes,

Many of these cataloged finds boxes are now with farmers and landowners families to be handed down to future generations rather than being left in the ground to rot away.

Another good reason is to be at one with nature as many folks don't have the chance to walk and share the countryside with the wildlife

Yet another good reason to detect is the research prior to the dig which has been made so easy with the advent of the internet.

Mind you I still have all the research books from over the years which still come in handy once in a while.

Well there are a few of my reasons to have a desire and need to be a dirt fisherman.Jerry.

rabert

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 04:36 pm »
Hi Jerry,
That really is a Fab u lous response.   It sounds, well, sort of full of reflection and wisdom and memories.   Well done that man.   How long have you been detecting for?

ttfn

JBM

• Gold Membership
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 05:38 pm »
My first machine was in the late seventies.

Having been retired for 24 years, I can and have been going out for 3 times each week.

I hope to keep going for a few more years yet.

Happy Hunting,

Jerry.

rabert

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2016, 05:43 pm »
   Hi Jerry Treasyrem
That's class -    I am so impressed.    Keep up the good work and enjoy.     Well done =   your a very fortunate young man.

ttfn

gonzo

• Gold members
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2016, 09:37 pm »
Being out in the fresh air,getting exersize,seeing some wonderful sights......it's a brilliant hobby.Also,the feeling of excitement and anticipation of whats under the coil when you get a good signal never goes away, no matter how many years you have been detecting. :)

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2016, 09:50 pm »
11 months into the hobby and my first Roman coin today.  I ran around the field with my arms in the air like a big kid !!
Flirt with the dirt, beep, dig, dance....

gonzo

• Gold members
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2016, 07:42 am »
Well done Keith,hope you get many more. :)

wittsy1

• Another day older today
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2016, 07:43 am »
Once the headphones are on, the outside world and any problems or worries vanish for a few hours. Excercise, anticipation, finds, nature its a great hobby.

rabert

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2016, 11:35 am »
Congrats Keith.    Well done.      What a great image you have conjured up!   Keep up the good work.

Hi Witsy,    That sounds fab.   I understand  exactly what you mean.   I am exactly the same when I'm painting -   I'm sort of "in a zone",  music on and the world (and Brexit) - is floating by!     

You are all so encouraging.

ttfn

13oots2

• Administrator
    • Comics
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2016, 01:28 pm »
Psychology....sounds like a job for the serious Freud squad ;D
Scroll down to the bottom of the page and join the live chat

Willy muffit

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2016, 02:19 pm »
I actually got started very reluctantly
  I was in a very bad place at the time  in my life and a  mate came round to see me he had been detecting a few years and had often mentioned I would like it
I used to say your having a laugh trudging round a muddy  field full cow poo digging holes ? what an anorak you got no chance
well as I was so depressed and no will power I gave in we went into this bloody great big hilly ploughed field and after a quick tutorial with his spare detector off I went it bleeped and I dug mostly junk I got a large horseshoe that I was pleased as punch to find and well remember thinking  this is going over my backdoor and maybe will bring me some luck
about 20 mins later I looked in my handfull of dirt and could see the most beautiful bright silver coin I had ever seen I dropped the detector ( big mistake)
and ran over to my mate I think I have found something really good !! he looked at it and said you jammy git you have only gone and found a roman silver denarius
I said how old is it ?  his next words hit me like a sledgehammer !
he said I am  not sure but roughly 1600 years old at a guess
 and you could be the first person to hold since then too
at that moment I though OMG !  I am holding history in my hand and I have been hooked ever since
Now the stinger in the tail !!!!!!  remember I said I dropped the detector ?  well being a novice my spade was lying flat on the ground too so  when I went to return
 the field looked all the same ! it took me and my pal about an hour to find the bstd lol since that day I have always stood  my spade upright in the ground
Deus 11" standard + 9" HF coil
T2 Ltd  + NEL Tornado +  Sharpshooter
Minelab Equinox