Author Topic: Metal detecting phsychology  (Read 5911 times)

rabert

Re: Metal detecting phsychology
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2016, 03:14 pm »
Hi there Rootsy Tootsy,

Your comment made me giggle -   very funny !!    Errr..... yes......

rabert

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2016, 03:18 pm »
Hiya Willy Muffitt,
Loving your story.      I take it that your 'in a good place now'?    I do hope so.   

I can really understand the bit about the coin -   all those years.    You and your mate's thought process would be exactly the same as mine.   I'm like that when I visit castles in different areas.     i.e.    who, and when, and why and the circumstances??     If only money could talk, it would have some great tales to tell.    You just can't begin to imagine the history and the life of that coin.    What happened to the coin?   I love old coins and enjoy just looking at them and showing them to others.   (not found coins).
Enjoy and thanks for the encouragement.
ttfn

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2016, 04:57 pm »
I actually got started very reluctantly
  I was in a very bad place at the time  in my life and a  mate came round to see me he had been detecting a few years and had often mentioned I would like it
I used to say your having a laugh trudging round a muddy  field full cow poo digging holes ? what an anorak you got no chance
well as I was so depressed and no will power I gave in we went into this bloody great big hilly ploughed field and after a quick tutorial with his spare detector off I went it bleeped and I dug mostly junk I got a large horseshoe that I was pleased as punch to find and well remember thinking  this is going over my backdoor and maybe will bring me some luck
about 20 mins later I looked in my handfull of dirt and could see the most beautiful bright silver coin I had ever seen I dropped the detector ( big mistake)
and ran over to my mate I think I have found something really good !! he looked at it and said you jammy git you have only gone and found a roman silver denarius
I said how old is it ?  his next words hit me like a sledgehammer !
he said I am  not sure but roughly 1600 years old at a guess
 and you could be the first person to hold since then too
at that moment I though OMG !  I am holding history in my hand and I have been hooked ever since
Now the stinger in the tail !!!!!!  remember I said I dropped the detector ?  well being a novice my spade was lying flat on the ground too so  when I went to return
 the field looked all the same ! it took me and my pal about an hour to find the bstd lol since that day I have always stood  my spade upright in the ground

That's a nice little story Willy.
Flirt with the dirt, beep, dig, dance....

JBM

• Gold Membership
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2016, 06:58 pm »
I have made some friends for life with this fantastic hobby of ours.

It also allows  detectorists to shut out the outside world for a chosen period of time.

We have 3 generations detecting in my family and it's nice when we get out together

Mitchell my 16 year old great grandson recently got the bug.

Happy Hunting.Jerry. ;)  :)

paul goswell

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2016, 08:16 pm »
for me its an escape from the pressure of work,out in the field you can see so much around you all sorts of wild life, and when you find some thing not just a coin its then you start looking into the history of it, i found a token a few months ago it was a port sea promissory token with a george and dragon on one side and a ship with a salmon on the other,i spent a while on the net and found it was made by 3 pub landlords in Portsmouth the ship the george and dragon and the salmon was the name of one of the landlords' was then looking into wether the pubs still existed,i think it was called the original  beer token so its the thrill of the looking into where these items come form.

rabert

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2016, 09:37 pm »
Hi Paul,
Thanks for an interesting and educational post.   I have no idea whatsoever about tokens ....... etc., all the what's and the why's so if someone is willing to educate me further, I'm not proud to be told.
Many thanks for all your help and knowledge.  It really is very fascinating.

regards and ttfn

rabert

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2016, 09:41 pm »
Hi JBM
That must fill you with such happiness.  16 years and getting the bug.   What am I missing.   I will certainly take up this hobby.   It may be a little late, but hopefully I will enjoy the buzz as someone appropriately said.   I know it's silly, but I've had so many dreams of finding a biscuit tin!     Now then... err.... when were biscuits first made in tins???   lol.

Enjoy

ttfn

Mike Hillis

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2016, 04:06 pm »
I have telesopes to look into the sky and I have metal detectors to look into the ground.  Only my metal detectors pay for their own stuff, where as the telescopes don't.

Both are a lot of fun.

HH
Mike