Author Topic: Sloping  (Read 4668 times)

bigbri

Sloping
« on: January 17, 2017, 03:05 pm »
I am getting a bit of land that is new to me and it's on a fair slope.  Would it be best to start at the top and work down?  Or the other way?  Or just get on with it!!

Bri
Simplex+

Peter

Re: Sloping
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 03:16 pm »
I`d start from the top and go across to the side , then step a meter down and go back across and then  keep working your way down in a Zig Zag pattern,a meter at a time rather then doing the Grand old Duke of York method ,which will be VERY tiring after half an hour. The detecting going downs easy .Its detecting and swinging going UP that`s the killer bit. And unless your as fit as a Butchers Dog and only weigh 7 stone  ,fatigue soon kicks in  detecting up n down plus carrying your spade on acute slopes .

bigbri

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 03:27 pm »
What a good idea.  I never thought of the exhaustion side of it!!  Makes good sense, thank you.
Simplex+

Peter

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 06:27 pm »
What a good idea.  I never thought of the exhaustion side of it!!  Makes good sense, thank you.

Well , some times 40 plus years of dealing with all sorts of detecting scenarios encountered ,can have its benefits .  ;D
 You want to try doing a very steep slope with a Minelab E Trac weighing near on 5 LB ,and no bungee to help . ??? You end up with arms like Popeye .

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 08:01 pm »

Well , some times 40 plus years of dealing with all sorts of detecting scenarios encountered ,can have its benefits .  ;D
 You want to try doing a very steep slope with a Minelab E Trac weighing near on 5 LB ,and no bungee to help . ??? You end up with arms like Popeye .

Lol, we had a huge mound in the middle of a big field on one of my club digs last year.  I decided to detect up to the top.  I was regretting it halfway there and knackered by the time I reached the top.  I tried detecting straight down the other side and it was bloomin awkward !  Wise advice Peter.
Flirt with the dirt, beep, dig, dance....

bigbri

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 08:05 pm »
Ace info
Simplex+

steevie40

• Old Fart
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 10:03 am »
I agree with Peter on that one.
XP Deus

bigbri