Author Topic: Detecting Technological Advances, "where is it going"?  (Read 9839 times)

Peter

Re: Detecting Technological Advances, "where is it going"?
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2017, 12:11 pm »
I reckon sometimes we forget the basics of detecting and want maybe too much laid out on a plate for us .I say that   because otherwise arn`t we just eroding the initial fun of how we do our detecting and just get lazier & lazier in out procedures. I say lets try and keep the technology under steady control without losing the plot.

nailman

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2017, 02:10 pm »
Very interesting posts, I think with the advancement of phone tech over the past few years and XP linking the deus to the phone is going to open great advancements in the future, like a display showing the shape of an object, the control box could send the signal to the phone and an app could be developed so the interpretation could then display a pic or shape of the  buried item on the smartphone.
Blimey I think the idea of linking to a smart phone is a rubbish idea the last thing I want is something else to look at or suck the battery life out of the phone ?

I spend all week looking at computer screens, I just want to detect relying on the mark 1 ear drum, that's why I like the hot and ultimate programs.
I oftern work with a Geophysical unit GPR etc will not produce a image telling you if it's a coin or a washer ( not yet) . Imagine a app that tells you where a old path etc is on you're machine, you go on a commercial dig were you meet in a car park and follow the organiser, when you get to the field everyone will head to the same area, you'll be detecting six a breast not my idea of a relaxing hobby. I enjoy this hobby because I can get outdoors with the chance of finding history, I don't cry if I don't find a Hammy, let's just enjoy what we've got
Experienced button digger
XP Deus
Insurance company's are warning campers if your tent is stolen during the night you won't be covered

Peter

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2017, 04:40 pm »
Yes I agree nailman.  What happened to the days where we had a detector that sounded off if it went over metal  because The Idea was to SEARCH FOR IT.
 Now were not content with that ,now it seems we want the bloody coins jumping out the ground with their hands in the Air shouting  "I surrender ".
  I`m all for having a bit of "assistance" to some degree ,but not to the point where we can even see the  coins or whatever on a screen before we dig them. To me its taking the fun and mystery out the equation when we search  and making us nothing more than just plain lazy.

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2017, 10:35 pm »
Yes I agree nailman.  What happened to the days where we had a detector that sounded off if it went over metal  because The Idea was to SEARCH FOR IT.
 Now were not content with that ,now it seems we want the bloody coins jumping out the ground with their hands in the Air shouting  "I surrender ".
  I`m all for having a bit of "assistance" to some degree ,but not to the point where we can even see the  coins or whatever on a screen before we dig them. To me its taking the fun and mystery out the equation when we search  and making us nothing more than just plain lazy.

I agree with you, and nailman, and the Deus is all I want, but I can't see it stopping here, gizmos for the gizmo generation.
Flirt with the dirt, beep, dig, dance....

Redfoot

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2017, 11:14 pm »
Technology is great when it works however when it goes wrong there's hell to pay, will this technology be on all phones and what cost will the app be? boy waiting for yet another update to down load, image the screen when you have a target below a piece of junk, which item will the imaging lock on to?, at the moment by approaching an iffy signal from different angles your ears pick up and can hear a good beep above an iron growl and you decide, some you dig some you don't, EMI is a big issue on some sites how is your phone going to screen that out? I think this is a nice idea but its a long way away, and what if you need to buy a really expensive phone on an exclussive monthly cost?

needlegun

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2017, 11:56 pm »
Star treckies and Cowboy fans.. ;)
I know which chuck wagon im on... yee haa !!
Move em out.. :D

Redfoot

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2017, 11:56 pm »
Just another thought, your phone can be tracked if you are making good finds and have agreed with your landowner not to disclose his or her details, they will be well chuffed when the archies turn up wanting to carry out an excavation on the fields and possibly make the Land owner stump up for the cost, like I said technology is great when it works however there are so many other uses technology can be put to with or without you knowing, if they can record every key stroke on your computer they would certainly be able to see what a mobile phone is finding and if you found it and did not report it you may find yourself having to explain where the item is now

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2017, 11:24 am »
I can see it now.  Your putting a lovely hammy in your pocket and you get a text "Notification from PAS, please record this find"  ???

nailman

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2017, 01:04 pm »
I can see it now.  Your putting a lovely hammy in your pocket and you get a text "Notification from PAS, please record this find"  ???
You shouldn't need a text notification  if you're a responsible detectorist
XP Deus
Insurance company's are warning campers if your tent is stolen during the night you won't be covered

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2017, 01:06 pm »
You shouldn't need a text notification  if you're a responsible detectorist

Quite right, just a bit of fun.

Redfoot

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2017, 03:55 pm »
There are those who are becoming very interested in our hobby and its activities they read on Facebook and on forums of groups and clubs paying up to £500 a day being paid to detect certain fields or farms they know it is either a weekly or bi-weekly event and goes on all year so £500 x 48 weeks = £24,000for one farm there are 52 counties in England say just as a figure 15 farms per county involved then you are talking of a figure of around £18,720,000 a year no tax which may not being declared how do you get proof simply get those involved to sign up to a technological improvement which can be traced hacked and the GPS will tell them where you were and when then the farmer is in the sh*t for not declaring his income, there could be tax liabilities for the organisers of groups and clubs who have a duty to inform who they have paid monies to as all money / income is liable for tax Farmers and Landowners may have the additional burden of VAT avoidance and we know what they are like. it is a cash orientated hobby who raise a lot for charity however we also raise a lot for the black economy, our hobby is under scrutiny so sneaking in GPS and links to phones does not seem such a good idea once the technology is used in a very different way does it 

nailman

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2017, 06:07 pm »
There are those who are becoming very interested in our hobby and its activities they read on Facebook and on forums of groups and clubs paying up to £500 a day being paid to detect certain fields or farms they know it is either a weekly or bi-weekly event and goes on all year so £500 x 48 weeks = £24,000for one farm there are 52 counties in England say just as a figure 15 farms per county involved then you are talking of a figure of around £18,720,000 a year no tax which may not being declared how do you get proof simply get those involved to sign up to a technological improvement which can be traced hacked and the GPS will tell them where you were and when then the farmer is in the sh*t for not declaring his income, there could be tax liabilities for the organisers of groups and clubs who have a duty to inform who they have paid monies to as all money / income is liable for tax Farmers and Landowners may have the additional burden of VAT avoidance and we know what they are like. it is a cash orientated hobby who raise a lot for charity however we also raise a lot for the black economy, our hobby is under scrutiny so sneaking in GPS and links to phones does not seem such a good idea once the technology is used in a very different way does it

Well said  I'am all for donations to charities , but like you say. some of these digs are pure profit
XP Deus

Peter

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2017, 06:34 pm »
 whats new ! ???  ???
 This type of things been going on for years ,its nothing new.
 I can remember going to rallies in Norfolk ,must have been 20 years ago where there was a woman called Cheryl organizing digs/ rallies call them what you will,  and it was £30 a week end in them days . One weekend I went and there was a thousand people attending .  Work it out for yourself  1000 x 30= £30,000 . Lets say she gave the farmer in them days a hefty  £5K .
There was no on site toilets (that i can recall)or entertainment. So I should imagine she was raking in £25,000 profit .  Not bad for a few Tax free session a few times a year.  So whats going on today ,is nothing new.

lobo

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2017, 09:20 pm »
whats new ! ???  ???
 This type of things been going on for years ,its nothing new.
 I can remember going to rallies in Norfolk ,must have been 20 years ago where there was a woman called Cheryl organizing digs/ rallies call them what you will,  and it was £30 a week end in them days . One weekend I went and there was a thousand people attending .  Work it out for yourself  1000 x 30= £30,000 . Lets say she gave the farmer in them days a hefty  £5K .
There was no on site toilets (that i can recall)or entertainment. So I should imagine she was raking in £25,000 profit .  Not bad for a few Tax free session a few times a year.  So whats going on today ,is nothing new.

Thought I knew you from somewhere Peter. Myself and my brother (Gordon) used to regularly go to Cheryl & Adrians rallies.
Sorry to digress from the topic.

Peter

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2017, 09:34 pm »
 ;D Aye its a small world init ? Cheryls probably retired to the Costa del Sol  or some where by now .