Author Topic: Equinox review  (Read 12492 times)

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
Equinox review
« on: March 27, 2018, 12:36 am »
I guess you can't really do a full review in a 10 minute video, so make yourself a brew and give this a whirl, I found it interesting. Worth watching IMHO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qviu9FCEJiM

Flirt with the dirt, beep, dig, dance....

JBM

• Gold Membership
Re: Equinox review
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 09:15 am »
Thanks for posting Keith.

A very interesting video.

IMHO certainly not Gods gift to metal detecting and those who sold other certain well proven machines will be sorry in the long run.

Happy Hunting,

Jerry.

rusty old bucket

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 02:57 pm »
Why can't Americans day Equinox  ;)
Rex Sedet in vertice
Live a good life.

bob79

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 03:19 pm »
Nearly as bad as mispronouncing say,  Wusty  ;D

Gary

• Gary B
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 03:48 pm »
EMI from the headphones ?? I very much doubt that.

broads-master

• Gold members
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 09:31 pm »
Try watching a few from the calabash digger a different viewpoint from a big deus fan
Minelab explorer se
Fisher Goldbug
Deeptech Smart ,11" 11"x7" and epic coils

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 12:18 am »
Try watching a few from the calabash digger a different viewpoint from a big deus fan

Yes I've been watching those mate, and as you say it's a different viewpoint.  That's really the reason I posted this video,  just for different viewpoint for our general discussion.

james1969

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 09:59 pm »
Here's a far more positive report from the Dankowski forum  ;)

Sunday I managed to do 200 meters of field with the Nox 800 in Field 1 with the only modification of adding 2 points of iron bias.
Only dug a few iron targets to get a feel for the soil and dug non-ferrous the rest of the hunt.

The finds pouch was a mix of high conductors, low conductors, large and small. It felt like I was using several detectors at once.
And the ground was alive with targets. Even to the point I actually lowered sens slightly because I was chasing too much small signals.

That is Equinox,... it can easily overwhelm you.

Deus forces you to choose a frequency and be content with what you are finding,... AND second guessing yourself what targets you have left behind.

Equinox is simply put a Deus Killer,... no need for it anymore. Minelab has built a better mouse trap!

It use to be I was perfectly happy with the instant spot on ground balance and performance of my Whites MXT All Pro.
Deep on the small thin coinage I’m hunting for.
And more than sens enough for me to chase small targets with the pinpointer in my hand.
And that with a 10” coil.
Now that machine feels like it lacks power.

I was perfectly happy with my X-terra 705 and 10” 18,75 kHz coil in prospecting mode, very deep on dry sand for low conductors.
Equinox 800 in Gold 1 made me sit down and scratch my head in disbelief,... how do I tame this beast??

I’m trying to figure out why I still need my CTX, X-terra, Whites MXT Allpro, CZ-6 the best I can. They are all very capable units.
How on earth do I try and sell them??
The answer is plain and simple,... I won’t,... I ordered a second Nox 800 just to run the small coil when available.
And my tried and trusted machines are going to decorate my man-cave.

Equinox 800 has just obsoleted about 5000€ of detectors to the equivalent of wall-paper.

And then I’m not going to start about the 2 full kit Deus units I had, 3 Fishers and those Garetts.

I make some nice finds, I’ve made some great finds but ultimatly for me it’s about my next find :-)
Nox 800 gives me the greatest advantage!

Gary

• Gary B
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 07:34 am »
Not one word about the settings, features, how and why etc just a lot of talk about it being better than everything else.
Read between the lines would be my advice, he could have written that without even owning one.

I see the prototypes had some interesting writing on them

bob79

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 09:47 am »
Don't tell even the prototypes were Chinese knock offs.

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2018, 12:14 pm »
Not one word about the settings, features, how and why etc just a lot of talk about it being better than everything else.
Read between the lines would be my advice, he could have written that without even owning one.

Why do people have to go over the top and bash other machines like this.  A "Deus Killer" oh come on now, my Deus is hoovering up fantastic finds from my new permission, it's still a great machine.  I don't mind people praising the Nox, fair enough, but not like this. 

nailman

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2018, 12:39 pm »

Why do people have to go over the top and bash other machines like this.  A "Deus Killer" oh come on now, my Deus is hoovering up fantastic finds from my new permission, it's still a great machine.  I don't mind people praising the Nox, fair enough, but not like this.

It is getting stupid
I used to work as a press photographer and used Cannon cameras, other guys used Nikon outfits it was roughly 50/50 split if I missed a shot I would get the “ should have got a Nikon mate” and vice verser it was all good taste.
But since my return to detecting the my make is better than yours, borders on civil war
I really don’t give a care what machine you are using  I’am happy with my equipment.

Every report I’ve seen for the nox appears to be extremely bias and almost scripted
Why are all the videos American.
Minelab have hyped up the nox , the proof will be in the pudding as the saying goes, if not then they have egg on their face.
I want to hear feedback from genuine users not people who have been given a nox
Experienced button digger
XP Deus
Insurance company's are warning campers if your tent is stolen during the night you won't be covered

lobo

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2018, 03:59 pm »
I got my Equinox 800 a week ago, but purposely waited in going out with it until I had got to know my way around the menu and experimented with the signals.
Today was the first time I took it out in the fields. I have 3 fields close by that I use with all my latest acquisitions.
I have to say I was impressed with it's performance. I was getting finds of tiny pieces of lead at 7 to 8 inches and the signal was loud. Best depth today was 11 inches on a 25mm sized flat bronze ring (not a finger ring).
I  was using the Minelab wireless headphones but would have preferred to try out either my Sunrays or Gray Ghosts NDT. The adaptor for the module was not available at the time but has now been delivered, so the next outing I can give my preferred headphones a try.

In the short 2 hour hunt I had 6 pieces of lead, 4 buttons, 1 coin (10p), watch winder, bronze flat ring (not a finger ring), 3 pieces of foil, 2 shotgun cartridges and the only piece of iron that fooled me which was a huge circular block approx 75m in dia and 20mm thick. It was a busy period and I was really pleased with the sharpness of the machine.
I cannot take any credit for the settings as I copied Gordon's 4 x 4 programme which is meant for deep pasture hunting.

As I got the settings from youtube, I don't think Gordon will mind me reproducing them here:
Field 1, Iron Bias 4, Recovery Speed 4, All Metal, Sens 22 (although I managed a stable 23), GB 0, Multi IQ, Tone Break T1 = 2, Tone Vol  T1 = 4  T2 = 25, Tone Pitch T1 = 1  T2 = 20.

At the moment I don't like the actual tones but with more experimenting, plus the use of my own headphones I hope to improve on this.
Now I have tried the Equinox I am confident enough to put my Etrac up for sale.

However, one swallow doesn't make a summer and one outing with a new detector doesn't mean it's perfect. I have yet to operate near power lines, electric fences, highly mineralised sites, iron infested sites, etc. All I can say is, so far I am impressed.

redkite

• Gold Membership
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2018, 04:31 pm »
Thank you for a straight all facts report no BS there :D

kevsat

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2018, 04:46 pm »
nice straight revue that ...keep us updated lobo  on your thoughts 8)