Author Topic: Equinox review  (Read 12947 times)

redkite

• Gold Membership
Re: Equinox review
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2018, 08:57 pm »
The thread for the subject matter (Shaft Wobble) is now 5 pages long and the latest has a guy using black electrical insulating tape to stop the movement.

Perhaps its just a single batch of Machines in the USA ?.  Jerry.

Or the Chinese knock offs

As if :D :D :D

sportsman

• Gold members
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2018, 10:49 am »
Been using the deus with hf and its a pleasure to use and i have had some great fimds on my Roman site, only problem with the deus is the tones imo could be better , for that reason i might consider an equinox  ???

bigbri

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2018, 11:16 am »
Thank you for a straight all facts report no BS there :D

Great report Lobo.  That is exactly how I found it.  Tiny targets booming out.  Can be a bit confusing til you get used to it.  I also do not like the tones, but have to get used to them I guess.  I have got a 600 but it's not difficult to make the necessary adjustments to get it very similar to a 800, without the cordless of course.  I don't understand why others are blowing it up too much or running it down too much.  Wish everyone would just stick to the facts.
Bri
Simplex+

bigbri

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2018, 02:35 pm »
I got my Equinox 800 a week ago, but purposely waited in going out with it until I had got to know my way around the menu and experimented with the signals.
Today was the first time I took it out in the fields. I have 3 fields close by that I use with all my latest acquisitions.
I have to say I was impressed with it's performance. I was getting finds of tiny pieces of lead at 7 to 8 inches and the signal was loud. Best depth today was 11 inches on a 25mm sized flat bronze ring (not a finger ring).
I  was using the Minelab wireless headphones but would have preferred to try out either my Sunrays or Gray Ghosts NDT. The adaptor for the module was not available at the time but has now been delivered, so the next outing I can give my preferred headphones a try.

In the short 2 hour hunt I had 6 pieces of lead, 4 buttons, 1 coin (10p), watch winder, bronze flat ring (not a finger ring), 3 pieces of foil, 2 shotgun cartridges and the only piece of iron that fooled me which was a huge circular block approx 75m in dia and 20mm thick. It was a busy period and I was really pleased with the sharpness of the machine.
I cannot take any credit for the settings as I copied Gordon's 4 x 4 programme which is meant for deep pasture hunting.

As I got the settings from youtube, I don't think Gordon will mind me reproducing them here:
Field 1, Iron Bias 4, Recovery Speed 4, All Metal, Sens 22 (although I managed a stable 23), GB 0, Multi IQ, Tone Break T1 = 2, Tone Vol  T1 = 4  T2 = 25, Tone Pitch T1 = 1  T2 = 20.

At the moment I don't like the actual tones but with more experimenting, plus the use of my own headphones I hope to improve on this.
Now I have tried the Equinox I am confident enough to put my Etrac up for sale.

However, one swallow doesn't make a summer and one outing with a new detector doesn't mean it's perfect. I have yet to operate near power lines, electric fences, highly mineralised sites, iron infested sites, etc. All I can say is, so far I am impressed.

Great report Lobo.  That is exactly how I found it.  Tiny targets booming out.  Can be a bit confusing til you get used to it.  I also do not like the tones, but have to get used to them I guess.  I have got a 600 but it's not difficult to make the necessary adjustments to get it very similar to a 800, without the cordless of course.  I don't understand why others are blowing it up too much or running it down too much.  Wish everyone would just stick to the facts.
Bri
Simplex+

JBM

• Gold Membership
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2018, 05:25 pm »
Look at the length of the Shaft Wobble Thread. ;)

3765 viewings todate. Jerry.

bigbri

« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2018, 11:43 am »
That's exaggerated or they have not got them set up right.  The only field I have at the moment is hard stubble and I am not getting any wobble.
Bri
Simplex+

JBM

• Gold Membership
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2018, 01:02 pm »
Hi Bri, its a serious thread that you can visit on their site.

Probably a batch batch of shaft locking units in the USA. ;) :)  Jerry.

bigbri

« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2018, 02:29 pm »
Hi Jerry.  Thanks.  Well I can only speak about mine of course.  Going to a big rally next weekend.  Will see what others are like if I can spot any.

Bri
Simplex+

JBM

• Gold Membership
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2018, 02:43 pm »
Hi Bri which rally are you going to ?. :)  Jerry.

bigbri

« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2018, 03:13 pm »
It's the Rotary Club one at Little Corby Jerry.  Fortunately our static is near there.  I bought a Deus to go to it last year.  But the update came out.  So I sent it back for the update and they messed it up!!!  So I missed the rally.

Bri
Simplex+

JBM

• Gold Membership
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2018, 03:47 pm »
We went to a really nice Rally a couple of weeks ago in Herefordshire.

I hope you have a good time and bring home a few finds to show us. :) Jerry.

bigbri

« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2018, 03:50 pm »
Thanks Jerry.  Hope it is not like today.  It's tipping down here.
Bri
Simplex+

Rah7265

• less than 5 posts
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2018, 07:59 am »
In the 80s and 90s I was mad on motorbikes, the more horse power the better. Every few months you could read in the Motorcycle News about the latest offering from one of the manufacturers and how they had improved the bike by fitting carbon fibre this or magnesium that to take 1.5kg of its weigh to improve handling and performance. (They wasted their time I weighed 16 stone)

In reality only a hand full of riders had the skills to take advantage of their improvements and from my observations it’s the same with most hobbies.

A good shot with a cheap gun always out shoots average shot with a expensive gun.
A good angler will always catch more with than a poor angler with the latest tackle.

It is the same with metal detecting, Go on a dig you will observe the experience and novices with very able machines and all the gear waving their coils 5” from the ground going at tremendous speed missing out half the ground they are searching, does it matter what machine they are using really?

My point is if you already have a good technique that covers the ground diligently you may be able to gain an advantage with a Equinox but for the vast majority improving their technique would bring better results than buying the latest machine to the market.

Personally I wouldn’t buy one, not because I considered myself good enough to know that my XP is better. But due to the way they have conducted themselves throughout the launch of this model, to me they have displayed everything that you don’t want from a manufacturer, misinformation, poor communication, missed self imposed deadlines.

Whats their after sales service going to be like?

nailman

« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2018, 08:21 am »
“But due to the way they have conducted themselves throughout the launch of this model, to me they have displayed everything that you don’t want from a manufacturer, misinformation, poor communication, missed self imposed deadlines.

Whats their after sales service going to be like?“

Spot onRah7265  long gone are the days  when they were the only manufacturer producing good machines, I believe when they were taken over the current owners they just relied on the Minelab name and reputation.
But to rol out a new machine with all the hype and not have units available, someone has dropped a clanger
Experienced button digger
XP Deus
Insurance company's are warning campers if your tent is stolen during the night you won't be covered

JBM

• Gold Membership
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2018, 09:14 am »
Their wobble list is getting longer.