Author Topic: Can you recommend a light cheap beach detector?  (Read 9775 times)

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
Can you recommend a light cheap beach detector?
« on: May 03, 2018, 09:07 am »
Hi all

I have a friend at work who wants to detect the beaches near where his mum lives, problem is he uses a crutch, but he's determined to give it a go albeit slowly.  His budget is around 500.

I realise this one may be a challenge, but if any of you can recommend a lighter easy machine that can be enjoyed on the sand then please advise.  Budget may be able to creep up a little for the right machine.

Many thanks in advance.
Flirt with the dirt, beep, dig, dance....

redkite

• Gold Membership
Re: Can you recommend a light cheap beach detector?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 11:41 am »
Contrary to whats said about TESORO on the beach I used a GOLDEN UMAX for years with great results

Mike

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 11:51 am »
Thanks Redkite  ;)

mayhem147

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 01:13 pm »
I'm sure I've read good reports about the 9HF Deus on the beach. As I don't do beach detecting and don't own the HF coil though, my input may be somewhere close to useless! ;D

However, if weight is a critical factor, a Deus Lite surely has to be on the shortlist on that criterion alone. A second hand one would be very near to being within budget, though it may be hard to find one with the HF coil.

lobo

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 01:48 pm »
How about a Minelab Sovereign GT, and hip mount it.
Still one of the best beach machines going.

nailman

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 03:49 pm »
Contrary to whats said about TESORO on the beach I used a GOLDEN UMAX for years with great results

Mike

I use a Laser Scout great coin shooter on the dry  calm on the damp, but like,OST VLF machine chatters on the wet.
No doubt some Minelab fan will say the CTX 3030 ;D
Experienced button digger
XP Deus
Insurance company's are warning campers if your tent is stolen during the night you won't be covered

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 05:40 pm »
How about a Minelab Sovereign GT, and hip mount it.
Still one of the best beach machines going.

Thanks Lobo.  He uses crutches (yes you read it right) but he's determined that this won't stop him.  I think a harness may mean there's a bit too much going on.  Sorry I should have mentioned the crutch !!

lobo

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 05:55 pm »
No problem Keith. You did mention a crutch which I assumed was one so he may have been able to mount on the opposite side.
As it's crutches, I can understand the concern.
There's the C Scope CS4PI (pulse induction) machine which goes for around £320 new.

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2018, 05:57 pm »
No problem Keith. You did mention a crutch which I assumed was one so he may have been able to mount on the opposite side.
As it's crutches, I can understand the concern.
There's the C Scope CS4PI (pulse induction) machine which goes for around £320 new.

Yes that's a good shout mate, I'll add that to a few machines for him to look at.  Many thanks.

nailman

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2018, 06:33 pm »
The c scope is great but you dig everything been a PI wished I’d kept mine
Experienced button digger
XP Deus
Insurance company's are warning campers if your tent is stolen during the night you won't be covered

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2018, 07:18 pm »
The c scope is great but you dig everything been a PI wished I’d kept mine

I guess there's less iron on beaches in general, and you gain a lot more that way.

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2018, 08:57 pm »
Update, he's off to see C-Scope and have a look at the CS4PI.  Considering his mobility issues I think he's wise to play around with a machine before he spends his money, and he's only going to do the beaches so it sounds like a good move.

gonzo

• Gold members
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2018, 09:20 pm »
Don't forget though Keith,the c scope will pick up every bit of metal on the beach,so if he has mobility issues it maybe hard work for him doing all that digging.I had a pi and at first i liked the fact that i was'nt missing a thing,but in the end digging a foot down for a small rusty piece of rubbish soon grows tiresome.

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2018, 09:57 pm »
Don't forget though Keith,the c scope will pick up every bit of metal on the beach,so if he has mobility issues it maybe hard work for him doing all that digging.I had a pi and at first i liked the fact that i was'nt missing a thing,but in the end digging a foot down for a small rusty piece of rubbish soon grows tiresome.

Brilliant feedback Gonzo, thank you.  I have very little knowledge of beaches, only been on them 3 times.  A bit green of me but I associated deep iron with farm fields, and I didn't realise iron could be such a problem on beaches.  It's something he needs to consider I guess.

gonzo

• Gold members
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2018, 06:38 am »
Some beaches are "cleaner" than others,but i have detected many and i have yet to find a single one where iron has not been present in fairly large quantities.
You have indeed set yourself a bit of a challenge looking for a suitable detector as most of the really good beach machines are cumbersome and on the heavier side.
There are a few non dedicated beach machines that do a decent job though,even on the wet sand,so there are a few lighter options out there.
I wish your friend all the best in getting a good machine that will do the job for him.