Author Topic: Air tests - are they really so bad?  (Read 4561 times)

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
Air tests - are they really so bad?
« on: February 06, 2020, 12:35 pm »
I see many comments on videos, and the dreaded Fake Book, in regards air tests being a total waste of time.  It seems to be the standard reaction to an air test is to launch into the person involved and accuse them of acting with naive stupidity and spreading false information to the masses.

Well I would like to defend the humble air test and those that do them:-

Firstly, when I test targets in the air and in the ground, the numbers are usually the same, so air tests are a decent reference guide if you want to know the numbers of certain targets. They may vary a bit, and on certain targets they may vary a lot, but as long as you realize that, what's the harm in using it as a rough guide.

Secondly, all the machines I have air tested for depth have a parallel also, if the air tests show the machine/coil is deeper than others, it's usually the same on my trips out.  If you air test the stock coil on an Ace 250 against the Tornado, the Tornado wins, just as it does in the ground.  Again, as long as you understand that overall results will vary with difference soils and conditions, where's the harm in getting a rough guide.

So in conclusion, I don't think air testers should be told their efforts are pointless, it's just for fun and most people know that.  Nothing more than a very rough guide and if the metal wavers want to wave them, then let them be I say  ;D

Any thoughts?       
Flirt with the dirt, beep, dig, dance....

Flatlander

Re: Air tests - are they really so bad?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 01:02 pm »
I have, like many more, done the air test with each new detector I have been fortunate to own or borrow, the air test does give you some indication as to the capability of the detector, if when testing in the air you are not getting a great amount of depth you can assume the same will be true once out on the fields, you also have the opportunity to tune, adjust or program the detector to help increase its performance. You also get the chance to hear the different tones made by different metals so you are not going in blind, you have a small amount of knowledge as to what to expect in the field, like the tone for coke and hot rocks, if the detector has that ability to differentiate.
I'm not saying every air test is to be believed, but by doing your own or watching someone who's not sponsored by a brand you can get an idea as to how much of the hype to believe, especially if your looking to buy your next detector, it's up to you if you take what people say as gospel, but the air test can be a good place to start looking, then watch what results are coming from out in the field videos, if your new to detecting these 2 types of videos can help you make an informed choice as to what you spend your money on, if your a seasoned detectorist then you can always skip watching the air test videos, as you are probably already aware of the capability of the detector being tested.

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 01:15 pm »
Nice feedback

Lodge Scent

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 04:56 pm »
Air tests have their place. To discount them completely or to swear on your mother's soul by them are both mistakes.

I use air tests often to try different settings to see their POTENTIAL affects. Of course actual conditions in the field will yield different results but often the air tests results were good enough to point me in the right direction. 

I have learned a lot by air testing over a small silver coin and a few rusty nails under a tall stack of books in my basement.  ;D

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020, 09:43 pm »
Air tests have their place. To discount them completely or to swear on your mother's soul by them are both mistakes.

I use air tests often to try different settings to see their POTENTIAL affects. Of course actual conditions in the field will yield different results but often the air tests results were good enough to point me in the right direction. 

I have learned a lot by air testing over a small silver coin and a few rusty nails under a tall stack of books in my basement.  ;D

Good choice of words buddy, POTENTIAL.  Realities can vary, but an idea of what you may potentially achieve.