Author Topic: Making YouTube videos  (Read 8385 times)

rusty old bucket

• Administrator
Making YouTube videos
« on: July 10, 2020, 10:47 am »
So I have a full months holiday starting end of July as I have worked through this virus situation.
The missus and kids are in Cornwall at relatives at the same time, so I plan to mostly be detecting for the month..

I have been thinking of putting a YouTube channel together for some time and will use the month to get a lot of video footage..
So my question is, i need a decent camera any recommendations on what I need to look for specifically for making YouTube videos and what else should I invest in to get started?
Rex Sedet in vertice
Live a good life.

mayhem147

Re: Making YouTube videos
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 09:32 pm »
I'd invest in a bucket full of staters and nobles, or at the very least a bunch of mint condition hammered pennies, so you can bury them and "discover" them for the camera every other hole. Without doing that, you'll struggle to keep up with the other Youtubers :)

rusty old bucket

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 10:14 pm »
I'd invest in a bucket full of staters and nobles, or at the very least a bunch of mint condition hammered pennies, so you can bury them and "discover" them for the camera every other hole. Without doing that, you'll struggle to keep up with the other Youtubers :)
To be fair this is what has put me off doing the whole youtube thing, there is a lot of fake shite and click bait, and every detectorist and their dog has a channel now.
But I will give it a go any how .. ;D

Rex Sedet in vertice
Live a good life.

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2020, 01:37 am »
I can see where Mayhem is coming from but don't worry about that.  There are loads of honest channels and some do very well.  Just don't be sucked into the desire to be a "celeb" of You Tube, there are some people out there that really take their channels too seriously, keep it fun and always do it for a laugh, and always be yourself.  Some will like you and some won't, just enjoy it.

All you need is a smartphone with a good quality camera, I use a phone that's over two years old, but the camera has good specs.  I also use a cheap tripod that is light and has a carry handle so It goes in my spade hand.  The beauty of a light tripod is that it's like having a cameraman, you can set it up quickly for live digs, hit the record button and you are hands free to get the find out while the camera sits there and films the lot. This has worked well for me, just make sure the tripod has a carry handle.

The smartphone mounts for the tripod are available on ebay and they are cheap, Ill give a link below.  Chest mounted action cameras can be very jumpy as you move about, and it's hard to stay on the target area when you are digging.  A tripod is solid and captures everything, it takes a little bit of practice but to be honest it's easy.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Smartphone-Tripod-Adapter-Cell-Phone-Holder-Mount-For-iPhone-Camera-Universal-UK/392797638804?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item5b74905094:g:tqoAAOSwxoheu6cE&enc=AQAFAAACcBaobrjLl8XobRIiIML1V4Imu%2Fn%2BzU5L90Z278x5ickkyMJZWL%2BqFSgQ3TOOe%2FNr7gfUh3hbz6IHG2ANiJu0Jg4vhVO0VWtXsWZVCmdS1OGNdPRCO2Saj4P5PYqaBueKyoc%2B9mlxOeQMf%2F6%2BUwXcEQghGlBvJhokfzz04BeRE14Morekl1aBrfRSWjgE2z7L9zbU8WGmdaL6ZKZ9iDFvYUoCDao8Z3RP7bkkG0HpJyOCuhD9waGfYdOfG%2F8VHY0DQYiLN9DrXija72igQ5DJXWqZffkeBSYWjSiTU412Ji3%2BkeslaLJn%2BmiGXkpgukVuP6C0gJtil37a2oI8zubWRYRTNGZfIKGPPHrYASN47g1CMrGfgIY95d%2B9LWvdwOcA2VXnLL3Eowt%2BieaEWdPq%2Fa%2BaZh4s9A%2B%2BN6lMun6K1Ddws1S9yuqZ6g5OsSheBcl4yE7NmWll8IMLIvrUgdEV3WQeyxeEdoT5RhB9XEZhK0gGhxFS%2BJMw4Kbvt%2FJu1PsqsOx7A94BEFbwNscQvkOSUABCaLtOzLCcE6w2Kcb4HGUw2dNQdVxSWjkJrDlo5g22vvOMNn7VRcpP3AzPf%2BqGUMmGkanlw1%2FL8AKvE0t9K4uwYc0Lf67UbhAPAXFJ780PMYHVTxqCvOzztNBftMzKzr3hYIb%2BK44d%2BfCpaFxnov19TxsKALYwpaBYpWM7Z%2FYv9YEoZ%2B6nWWYcMrrIpT2U%2FMiBOwMyNFjrEM3WdsP12cGOJIQpmfy8HYDoujK5Pe9XeC7qUH6VbV3z1jOpdcrcDrtb44x81MQwPdIlsOgYka%2BR4KOitroo5Gh7NdBba5FGAA%3D%3D&checksum=3927976388047c808ac92dfc4a4c9a70b192eaaf01e7
Flirt with the dirt, beep, dig, dance....

rusty old bucket

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2020, 08:40 am »
Thanks for the links Keith.. Will have a  proper look this afternoon.

Really not interested in viewing numbers or being a 'face" in detecting or YouTube..

It's just a bit of fun really plus I got some good land to go at, and make the occasional intetesting finds so just thought I would share and save the moment, so to speak! ...

Will try my mobile phone out  for quality and sound..👍
Rex Sedet in vertice
Live a good life.

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2020, 11:35 pm »
That's the way to approach it buddy, just have fun and enjoy making them.  After a few years it's lovely to look back at the hunts now and again.  Don't be put off if your first attempts are a bit rough around the edges, it's a learning curve and it gets easier once you've done a few.

13oots2

• Administrator
    • Comics
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2020, 05:26 am »
One half of the effort is camera work the other the editing, to me Adobe products lead the way but are expensive. Black Magic offer a slightly cut down version of DaVinci for free, not too easy too use to start with but gets better as you learn the editing process.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page and join the live chat

rusty old bucket

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2020, 02:04 pm »
One half of the effort is camera work the other the editing, to me Adobe products lead the way but are expensive. Black Magic offer a slightly cut down version of DaVinci for free, not too easy too use to start with but gets better as you learn the editing process.
Funny enough I was going to ask about editing, and editing software.. I will rack your brains on this soon Mark   ;)..
Does anyone use a free online editing package? Or have any other recommendations  ..
Rex Sedet in vertice
Live a good life.

Willy muffit

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2020, 02:19 pm »
I will be honest apart from Garys educational ones  the others bored the hell out of me who wants to see someone swinging a detector over a target waaaaaay to long  you feel like screaming yes I get it after the first 2 to 3 swings just stop !!..........then dig a bit of lead up ?  so pointless massarging their ego
on to the next gggrrrrrr
Deus 11" standard + 9" HF coil
T2 Ltd  + NEL Tornado +  Sharpshooter
Minelab Equinox

rusty old bucket

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2020, 04:44 pm »
I will be honest apart from Garys educational ones  the others bored the hell out of me who wants to see someone swinging a detector over a target waaaaaay to long  you feel like screaming yes I get it after the first 2 to 3 swings just stop !!..........then dig a bit of lead up ?  so pointless massarging their ego
on to the next gggrrrrrr
;D Fair points Willy .. As I said some of the dross and petty arguments between youtubers etc , has put me off doing videos..
But there are also some good  channels out there , I will let you critique when I get around to making one, I know you won't hold back on saying what you think  :D ;) 
Rex Sedet in vertice
Live a good life.

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2020, 10:58 pm »
Funny enough I was going to ask about editing, and editing software.. I will rack your brains on this soon Mark   ;)..
Does anyone use a free online editing package? Or have any other recommendations  ..

I use the free one you get with Windows 10 in their Photos app.  It's very basic but to be honest that can be a good thing when you're starting out.  There's a lot of fancy music and clever intros out there but I don't honestly think they matter.  Some of the most popular channels have more modest intros.  Good camera work in the field is more important than fancy edits in my opinion. Here's a link to my last video so you can get an idea of what can do with Windows 10 mate.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaaV-2KcYAE&t=239s

rusty old bucket

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2020, 12:40 pm »
I have windows 10 installed on laptop, didn't know there was a video editor installed ... Will take a look thanks again Keith.. 
Rex Sedet in vertice
Live a good life.

rusty old bucket

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2020, 12:56 pm »
Boom.. Found it .. I know what I'm doing this evening  ???
https://www.howtogeek.com/355524/how-to-use-windows-10s-hidden-video-editor/
Rex Sedet in vertice
Live a good life.

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2020, 01:17 am »
Boom.. Found it .. I know what I'm doing this evening  ???
https://www.howtogeek.com/355524/how-to-use-windows-10s-hidden-video-editor/

Nice one mate, you can download free music from the You Tube library and use it in Windows 10.  I find that's all I need really.  I had a look at the link in your comment mate, I just go into the photos app and click the top tab called "video projects".  I always take my video from the phone and put it on my desktop first.  I have noticed that the photos app opens when I connect my phone, it seems to default to the app, but I close it and do a file search and choose my phone, then copy and paste the clips to the desktop first, just my preference and I am probably doing it the hard way !