Author Topic: Vistas: Best performing coil for depth?  (Read 5108 times)

Dug

Vistas: Best performing coil for depth?
« on: May 28, 2021, 10:14 pm »
Evening all,

I recently bought myself both a Deeptech Vista Smart and Gold Gain (I needed a second detector for when I couldn’t prise my Simplex from the other half’s hands). I couldn’t decide which one to go for, and having watched as many videos and reviews that I could find (that includes Gary’s  ;)), I decided a Vista would suit my “Mr Crabtree” simplistic, old school way of thinking. As it happens, one of each came up at the same time and being as indecisive as I am, I bought both!  ;D

I have two permissions, both of which are pasture which, as far as I’m aware, have never been ploughed, and one of them I don’t think, has even been grazed for quite some time. Now, I’m fairly new to this modern style of metal detecting malarkey but I’m thinking that maximum depth could beneficial for this type of terrain, especially with long grass and tussocks robbing me of valuable inches. (Ooh err, missus!) Feel free to shoot me down if I’m mis-informed.

Now, to the crux of the biscuit...    I can see from searching the forum that Vista’s were once popular on here so I was wondering if there are any Vista owners here who have had experience with either the 14” Epic or the 18” coil, and more specifically, which would be the ‘better’ coil for depth. I’m aware that the bigger coil wouldn’t necessarily be proportionately deeper, or the more sensitive. Also, which machine would be better suited for the bigger coil? i.e would the 30kHz Gold claw back some of the sensitivity to small targets that would normally be lost to a bigger coil, or would the Smart be a more natural choice?

...or, am I barking up entirely the wrong tree and should I be thinking about saving up for a more up to date, more expensive machine?

Any considered opinions gratefully received, and sorry for the epic amounts of waffle (well done if you’ve made it this far!).

Cheers!
Graham

Dug

Re: Vistas: Best performing coil for depth?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2021, 10:59 pm »
I probably should have added that the Gold Gain has the 11” Pitbull coil and the Smart has the 11” 2D coil (old, heavy, non-waterproof coil), and the 11”x 8” elliptical, and super 6. So, would the 14” or 18” give a significant improvement over these coils or maybe there are coils made by other manufacturers that would work better?

Sorry to hit you with more questions.  :-[

Graham

lobo

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2021, 05:51 am »
I think you will find that the Deeptech machines will see through ferrous items better than the Simplex, which can be a bit chirpy. All are good machines though Graham and would serve you well.

The oil man

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2021, 11:04 am »
I've always stuck with the standard non waterproof stock coil on the Smart . I do have the elliptical as it's better in the wet but haven't used it much .

I came in to the world with nothing and still have most of it left 

Deeptech Vista X  + Perseverance

rusty old bucket

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2021, 03:07 pm »
Personally I would not concern myself too much with depth especially if you are new to both the Vista machines and not done much detecting on the site.
Stick with the standard coils, learn the machine(s) and get a feel for the site conditions to begin with ..

Rex Sedet in vertice
Live a good life.

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2021, 08:17 pm »
I've always stuck with the standard non waterproof stock coil on the Smart . I do have the elliptical as it's better in the wet but haven't used it much .

A non-waterproof coil mate?  In modern terms, I've never heard of a non-waterproof coil?
Flirt with the dirt, beep, dig, dance....

The oil man

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2021, 10:15 pm »

A non-waterproof coil mate?  In modern terms, I've never heard of a non-waterproof coil?

I never actually immersed it Keith but what i meant was the stock coil doesn't like wet grass .
I came in to the world with nothing and still have most of it left 

Deeptech Vista X  + Perseverance

Dug

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2021, 02:09 pm »
Thanks for the replies chaps. I fully understand that depth isn’t everything, but the reason I ask is that this particular field is not only very small (1/2 acre-ish), but made smaller still by the grass which is knee deep in places and undetectable, (and most of the (spartan) signals are faint and on the edge of detection.)  :'( This leaves probably 1/4 of an acre at best, which I’m guessing, won’t take too long to do it to death. It’s a shame really as I know that some ploughed fields nearby have yielded some Roman finds, but I can’t get on those.
Unfortunately, the owner has no plans to plough it or graze it any time soon, so I figure that the only way to keep this field alive after I’ve milked it, is to go deeper.  :-[

Anyway, I’m off to my other permission for the first time on Tuesday, I haven’t actually seen it yet but I think it’s a good 20+ acres and does have sheep keeping the grass down. No need for extra depth there just yet. ;D Looking forward to doing some comparisons with the machines/coils and hopefully getting some interesting finds.....     if not I might post up another picture of an insect as consolation.  :)

All the best,
Graham

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2021, 08:24 pm »
I never actually immersed it Keith but what i meant was the stock coil doesn't like wet grass .
[/quote]

Ah gotcha mate, but sparky eh.
Flirt with the dirt, beep, dig, dance....