Gary's Detecting forum > General detecting talk

Vistas: Best performing coil for depth?

<< < (2/2)

Keith67:

--- Quote from: The oil man on May 29, 2021, 11:04 am ---I've always stuck with the standard non waterproof stock coil on the Smart . I do have the elliptical as it's better in the wet but haven't used it much .

--- End quote ---

A non-waterproof coil mate?  In modern terms, I've never heard of a non-waterproof coil?

The oil man:

--- Quote from: Keith67 on May 29, 2021, 08:17 pm ---
--- Quote from: The oil man on May 29, 2021, 11:04 am ---I've always stuck with the standard non waterproof stock coil on the Smart . I do have the elliptical as it's better in the wet but haven't used it much .

--- End quote ---

A non-waterproof coil mate?  In modern terms, I've never heard of a non-waterproof coil?

--- End quote ---

I never actually immersed it Keith but what i meant was the stock coil doesn't like wet grass .

Dug:
Thanks for the replies chaps. I fully understand that depth isn’t everything, but the reason I ask is that this particular field is not only very small (1/2 acre-ish), but made smaller still by the grass which is knee deep in places and undetectable, (and most of the (spartan) signals are faint and on the edge of detection.)  :'( This leaves probably 1/4 of an acre at best, which I’m guessing, won’t take too long to do it to death. It’s a shame really as I know that some ploughed fields nearby have yielded some Roman finds, but I can’t get on those.
Unfortunately, the owner has no plans to plough it or graze it any time soon, so I figure that the only way to keep this field alive after I’ve milked it, is to go deeper.  :-[

Anyway, I’m off to my other permission for the first time on Tuesday, I haven’t actually seen it yet but I think it’s a good 20+ acres and does have sheep keeping the grass down. No need for extra depth there just yet. ;D Looking forward to doing some comparisons with the machines/coils and hopefully getting some interesting finds.....     if not I might post up another picture of an insect as consolation.  :)

All the best,
Graham

Keith67:
I never actually immersed it Keith but what i meant was the stock coil doesn't like wet grass .
[/quote]

Ah gotcha mate, but sparky eh.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version