Author Topic: First trip out with my Deus  (Read 5951 times)

JaguarJeff

First trip out with my Deus
« on: July 14, 2021, 09:05 am »
I had my first outing with my XP Deus yesterday, Tuesday 13th of July and my first trip out with any detector for a good few years.
A good friend has a small farm some 42 Acres and he said it has never been detected as far as he is aware and it has been in his family for hundreds of years.

The farm is situated in Mid Cumbria and sits along side an old Roman road so I was hopeful of some Roman finds

He set me off in a small field that like the rest of the farm has never been ploughed and going by the size of some of the rocks sticking out the ground I can understand why. Straight away I was getting signals everywhere I swung teh Deus. I was using prog' 3 and full tone (I like the full tone set up). As this was my very first trip out other than my front garden to get a bit of an idea what the sounds are like on different metals, I was getting lots of iron. My first find was a Blade! It may well have been made in Rome but somehow I doubt it. The blade was an old hand syth. Next I unearthed a whole range of nails and wire among other bits of rust. I will be honest I was struggling with the tones (I have the Deus lite) so I was taking the headphones off to look at the numbers and I was getting everything from 1 to 98 on iron objects. The only objet I got a steady 52 was the 1903 Penny, sadly it was not the rare 1903 with the open 3. I also found a melted lump of lead at a good 14 inches below the surface and Im not sure but I am convinced it has some markings on it in the middle but I cant decide. It could just be my wishful thinking they are man made markings. I also found a lead seal again it has markings but I cant make them out.

The find that really knocked me over was the spoon,plated I think. I found the spoon end of it about 7 inches down. Carried on on the same line up the feild and about 30 or so yards from the spoon I got a signal and it was the handle from the very spoon I had just found. It matches up perfectly, now what are the chances of that? Possibly yes if it was lost in the same feild sooner or later I would have come accross it but on the same line and the very next signal, it made my day.

After about 3 hours I had to call it a day and head home but I was more than pleased with my day. I learned a bit about my Deus and I found something worthless that made me very happy. I have attached some photos of my day out.

Almost forgot I even managed to feed my friends entire stock of Horse Flies :D
Jaguar Jeff
Jaguar a True British car driven by True Brits.
XP Deus with 11” X35 coil - I dig fields for free and remove all buttons, no charge.

mayhem147

Re: First trip out with my Deus
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2021, 12:04 pm »
Not a bad start :)

You'll dig fewer of the rusty bits as you progress.

JaguarJeff

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2021, 12:07 pm »
Its an enjoyable learing curve and cant wait to get back again :)
Jaguar Jeff
XP Deus with 11” X35 coil - I dig fields for free and remove all buttons, no charge.

Lodge Scent

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2021, 01:35 pm »
Nice hunt! Coin, relics.... sounds like a good day to me. Lead blob looks like a bale seal.

Just keep digging, it will all fall into place soon enough.

Lodge

lobo

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2021, 01:36 pm »
Well done on your first outing Jeff. In time you will recognise the good tonal signals from the bad. Look forward to seeing other finds you uncover. HH

JaguarJeff

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2021, 01:57 pm »
Thanks people.
i was thinking some sort of seal. The big lead mealted blob has got me though, im convinced I can see markings in it but cant be sure
Jaguar Jeff

mayhem147

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2021, 04:16 pm »
Thanks people.
i was thinking some sort of seal. The big lead mealted blob has got me though, im convinced I can see markings in it but cant be sure

Just a random lead splat I think. You'll find lots of them.

What looks like markings are generally the cast impression of whatever the molten lead landed on.

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2021, 07:12 pm »
A nice little story of your first run out, thanks for that. 
Flirt with the dirt, beep, dig, dance....

The oil man

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2021, 09:27 pm »
One nice little hammered or something and you'll be hooked big time  :)

It'll happen probably when your mind has wandered and boom !

Then you'll be consumed with a very addictive but rewarding hobby  :)

Best of luck and glad you enjoyed yourself :)
I came in to the world with nothing and still have most of it left 

Deeptech Vista X  + Perseverance

JaguarJeff

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2021, 06:50 pm »
One nice little hammered or something and you'll be hooked big time  :)

It'll happen probably when your mind has wandered and boom !

Then you'll be consumed with a very addictive but rewarding hobby  :)

Best of luck and glad you enjoyed yourself :)

Hi and thanks for the words of encouragement but in all honesty I was hooked as soon as I unearthed the handle for the plated spoon. It blew my mind that at several yards from the bowl end of the spoon on the same line I was searching I would find the handle and it was the very next target I decided to dig. It just messed with my head, in a good way I must add. Don’t get me wrong I don’t just want to find rusty old spoons all the time but as you say the odd hammered would be a nice to find item also. I am not bothered about finding high value items. It’s the idea of I’m the first person to see and handle the objects since the last person and how did that person feel once they realised they had lost the coin or tool. How did they explain it to their wife that they had lost a chunk of this weeks wage or tell the boss they had lost a tool and what happened next. It exercises the imagination I find😉
Jaguar Jeff

rusty old bucket

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2021, 08:47 pm »
"but in all honesty I was hooked as soon as I unearthed the handle for the plated spoon. It blew my mind that at several yards from the bowl end of the spoon on the same line I was searching I would find the handle and it was the very next target I decided to dig. It just messed with my head, in a good way I must add."

Definitely hooked on the hobby  ;)...
Rex Sedet in vertice
Live a good life.

JaguarJeff

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2021, 08:44 am »
 :D do you think they will come up with a cure?🤔
Jaguar Jeff

The oil man

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2021, 12:28 pm »
No !   ;D

I came in to the world with nothing and still have most of it left 

Deeptech Vista X  + Perseverance