Author Topic: They say you live and learn  (Read 5574 times)

The oil man

They say you live and learn
« on: August 11, 2021, 07:23 am »
I certainly have learnt something..

Don't ever hand a 750 year old coin to a work colleague 🤬

He showed some interest so i gave it to him for a look but in what seemed like a bad dream about 4 seconds in he said ”its broken"  ..

I couldn't believe it but thinking back I've heard this before so I'm stupid handing it over without installing in him  how delicate they are .

The really bad bit is that we couldn't find the missing fragment 😔

It wouldn't have been so bad if it had been  one of my others but I'm getting this one framed for my farmer ,well what's left of it 🙄

Learnt the hard way today I'm afraid ..
I came in to the world with nothing and still have most of it left 

Deeptech Vista X  + Perseverance

lobo

Re: They say you live and learn
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 08:35 am »
Ouch, that's not good.  :-X

Lodge Scent

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2021, 02:16 pm »
Well that is a bummer Oily. Hopefully the missing bit will turn up.

mayhem147

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2021, 04:04 pm »
That's not good :(

It must have had a substantial crack in it. I've straightened dished hammered pennies by simply putting them inside a book and whacking it with a hammer. It's neither a subtle nor a recommended technique, but I'm yet to have one break. I probably shouldn't have said that...

rusty old bucket

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2021, 09:09 pm »
Could have been worse mate , I have found Roman coins  before and lost them again before I have got  home!  ::)
Rex Sedet in vertice
Live a good life.

The oil man

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2021, 09:16 pm »
Thanks chap's ..

I feeing less depressed now about and the shock of it happening has worn off a bit .

A valuable lesson learned and I'll still give it to the Farmer as a keepsake 🙂
I came in to the world with nothing and still have most of it left 

Deeptech Vista X  + Perseverance

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2021, 10:35 pm »
Chalk up another error to the less than perfect "Mark 1 Human"  ;D

At least you can blame a mate for the damage. If it makes you feel any better, I have clumsily broken a few finds myself mate, I can be a heavy handed plonker sometimes.

Flirt with the dirt, beep, dig, dance....

nailman

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2021, 01:23 pm »
Could have been worse mate , I have found Roman coins  before and lost them again before I have got  home!  ::)

Iam just changing cars so cleared out the boot of my old estate car, lifted the floor over the spare wheel well3 Roman groats 2 Victorian pennies countless small bits of lead and aluminium.
I’ve often been cleaning finds and thought I’am sure I found a Roman today
Experienced button digger
XP Deus
Insurance company's are warning campers if your tent is stolen during the night you won't be covered

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2021, 07:24 pm »

Iam just changing cars so cleared out the boot of my old estate car, lifted the floor over the spare wheel well3 Roman groats 2 Victorian pennies countless small bits of lead and aluminium.

Do you put everything in the same pouch/pocket mate?
Flirt with the dirt, beep, dig, dance....

nailman

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2021, 01:26 am »

Do you put everything in the same pouch/pocket mate?

Used to do now got a little plastic tube for the good Finds  which now goes in my pocket, just the rubbish stuff in the Finds pouch
Experienced button digger
XP Deus
Insurance company's are warning campers if your tent is stolen during the night you won't be covered

mariothemoss

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2021, 09:36 am »
Handed a mate a roman denarius to look at he dropped it  on my kitchen flag stones taking a chunk out of it ,it took every ounce of restraint I had not to belt him one,was absolutely  gutted,a hard lesson never to be repeated :'(

THing4CSA

• Remember; Don't leave it in the Ground! ;-)
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2021, 03:52 am »
Hi My Fellow TH'ers
I can relate to you but I will never feel better about any item being broken or stolen. My very first Diamond ring was stolen by a visitor to my house back in 1980. The lady was stationed in West Germany with my wife in 1977-8. So my wife sort of knew her but just somewhat. After she returned to New Jersey from her visit with us in California, we noticed that the ring was missing. It was only a 1/3 Carat diamond with a couple of carbon flaws and a chip off the edge. I had been offered $125.00 for it but as it was my very first diamond ring I wanted to keep it. I now only show my better items to other TH'ers as I feel they understand what each item means! ;-)