Author Topic: Departed sole  (Read 7407 times)

mariothemoss

Departed sole
« on: August 15, 2021, 01:23 pm »
Just wondering what footwear other members use while detecting everything  I've tried  so far just come apart especially digging foot whithin days few months at best,everything seems to be constructed in the same way can't seem to find anything  at all,Best I  have are my rubber wellingtons they will stand any abuse I  give them but not always practical,any recommendations appreciated
mariothemoss :-\

lobo

Re: Departed sole
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2021, 02:45 pm »
One thing I do with my spades is get rounded bar, cut a groove in it, then have it welded to the left and right top sections of the spade. It's much more forgiving when you step down onto your spade. As for foot wear, I use hiking boots when it's dry and wellies when it's wet.

mariothemoss

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2021, 03:06 pm »
Thanks for your advice my spade has a welded bar but as I've said safety boots I have tried  just come apart rapidly last pair de walt safety boots  came apart in about 3 weeks these cost over 60 pounds luckily  did get refund  but with other pairs just sharp intake of breath not much we can do attitude,there again never had any footwear last me a year except wellies.

Lodge Scent

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2021, 04:49 pm »
Mario, I've resigned myself to the fact I need to by a new pair every year. I am hard on boots because I usually hike to and detect in wooded, rocky terrain. Actually I get 2 years out of a pair of shoes. When I retire a pair of shoes from detecting, they are still good enough to wear around the house, do yard work etc., for another year.

I have had detecting shoes that did last for a couple of years of detecting BUT they were so darn heavy. I dreaded the long hike back to my car at the end of the hunt. They felt like cement blocks.  ;D  I use Timberland day hikers. But I am in a panic as they don't make my style anymore !

rusty old bucket

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2021, 06:10 pm »
"everything  I've tried  so far just come apart" ... Same, yet to find a decent pair of boots and I have tried a few..
Rex Sedet in vertice
Live a good life.

nailman

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2021, 07:19 pm »
Thanks for your advice my spade has a welded bar but as I've said safety boots I have tried  just come apart rapidly last pair de walt safety boots  came apart in about 3 weeks these cost over 60 pounds luckily  did get refund  but with other pairs just sharp intake of breath not much we can do attitude,there again never had any footwear last me a year except wellies.
De Walt boots are certainly not worth the money they ask, I use a pair of hiking boots with a Vibram  sole (I think that’s the spelling ?)  anyway still going after five years
Experienced button digger
XP Deus
Insurance company's are warning campers if your tent is stolen during the night you won't be covered

mariothemoss

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2021, 11:16 pm »
Thanks for your input guys seems its not just me that has issues with footwear did boots years ago last longer or is it my imagination,my current boots now shot but have lasted eight moss although soles been hanging off a while now,think my next plan is to buy two cheap pairs then see if can get a year out of them.  ;D

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2021, 01:42 am »
Hi-Tec walking boots from Go Outdoors, 2 years and going strong, but maybe two reasons for that.
Less trips than usual in "normal times" and the flat footplate on the Blackadder spade I use.

I also walk in them and generally love them. £50.
Flirt with the dirt, beep, dig, dance....

mariothemoss

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2021, 09:38 am »
Thanks  Keith will check them out had some of their trainers as I remember they did last a while before the inevitable,the more I seem to read is that if they last a year your doing fine,perhaps l expect to much only have one pair of boots that I wear every day morning till night work ,detecting,garden and general tasks,mind you do have wellies and they last years. ;D

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2021, 09:30 pm »
Thanks  Keith will check them out had some of their trainers as I remember they did last a while before the inevitable,the more I seem to read is that if they last a year your doing fine,perhaps l expect to much only have one pair of boots that I wear every day morning till night work ,detecting,garden and general tasks,mind you do have wellies and they last years. ;D

I think the problem is, most walking shoes and boots look tough but they rarely get the true test from the average user.  I have seen serious walkers on You Tube who have pounded the trails and hills,  and the average mid range pairs are often falling apart in a few months. 
Most people are trotting round the local nature trails and strolling on compacted walkways, so the boots don't really get any harsh surfaces.  When we start pushing down on spades, I think it exposes weaknesses in the sole materials.  Often they crack and split under the pressure.

I had a great pair of walking boots and a spade with a small footplate destroyed them in a few weeks. I do find the flatter and wider plate on the Blackadder spades makes a real difference as the pressure is spread over a decent area of the sole, and the plates are very smooth on the "Adders"
Flirt with the dirt, beep, dig, dance....

mariothemoss

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2021, 09:56 pm »
Some good points there Lobo also commented on spade foot plates,think I shall be redesigning mine to a much wider falter tread can only improve things. ;D

13oots2

• Administrator
    • Comics
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2021, 06:46 am »
My nickname comes from my love of boots, I always had the shiniest in the Navy. My normal wear are some lightweight Salomon and my heavy duty pair are some service issue Haix they are tough as old boots. They can be had on the Bay for a very reasonable price, make sure to get grade 1.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page and join the live chat

Flatlander

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2021, 02:03 pm »
Although they are very expensive at over £160 a pair, I use boots made by a company called Lowa, I'm on year 4 with my latest pair, they are still complete and by the looks of them I should get another year at least before I need to replace them, hopefully 2 more years.

Lodge Scent

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2021, 06:48 pm »
Lowa does make nice boots Flatlander. They are pricey. But like you say, if you can get a few years out of them, then they are well worth it. Just have to find out who carries them around here.

13oots2

• Administrator
    • Comics
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2021, 10:08 pm »
Just checked thought my boots were Haix but they are Alt Berg high liability.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page and join the live chat