Gary's Detecting forum > General detecting talk

Unobtrusive lawn finds.

(1/2) > >>

Eochaid:
I have always found using a bulb planter for small finds like coins on a lawn were best retrieved by using a bulb planter. When the find is retrieved, the plug is placed straight back into the lawn leaving no trace of the excavation.

mayhem147:
Pinpointing would have to be phenomenally accurate! :o

You'll also notice that the grass will die off more quickly and take longer to recover with a 360 plug (which is what you get with a bulb planter) than with a three sided trapdoor style recovery.

Eochaid:
I use a Fisher 1236 and a Deus and have never had any problems with their accuracy in pinpointing.

Keith67:
Regardless of where I am I like a narrow spade, a three sided cut, and a decent size lump of earth to put back and stamp down.

Small cuts can dry off and rot more easily, and birds often pull them out when hunting for worms and grubs.

mayhem147:

--- Quote from: Eochaid on May 13, 2022, 12:51 pm ---I use a Fisher 1236 and a Deus and have never had any problems with their accuracy in pinpointing.

--- End quote ---

You can reliably pinpoint to within the 3" or so diameter of a bulb planter and be confident that the find won't be clipped and damaged? What if the find itself is larger than the diameter of the bulb planter?

Your idea works well in theory, but in practice I fear that it's only going to end in tears.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version