Author Topic: Unobtrusive lawn finds.  (Read 5788 times)

Eochaid

Unobtrusive lawn finds.
« on: May 11, 2022, 02:27 pm »
I have always found using a bulb planter for small finds like coins on a lawn were best retrieved by using a bulb planter. When the find is retrieved, the plug is placed straight back into the lawn leaving no trace of the excavation.

mayhem147

Re: Unobtrusive lawn finds.
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2022, 04:34 pm »
Pinpointing would have to be phenomenally accurate! :o

You'll also notice that the grass will die off more quickly and take longer to recover with a 360 plug (which is what you get with a bulb planter) than with a three sided trapdoor style recovery.

Eochaid

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2022, 12:51 pm »
I use a Fisher 1236 and a Deus and have never had any problems with their accuracy in pinpointing.

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2022, 03:15 pm »
Regardless of where I am I like a narrow spade, a three sided cut, and a decent size lump of earth to put back and stamp down.

Small cuts can dry off and rot more easily, and birds often pull them out when hunting for worms and grubs.
Flirt with the dirt, beep, dig, dance....

mayhem147

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2022, 07:04 pm »
I use a Fisher 1236 and a Deus and have never had any problems with their accuracy in pinpointing.

You can reliably pinpoint to within the 3" or so diameter of a bulb planter and be confident that the find won't be clipped and damaged? What if the find itself is larger than the diameter of the bulb planter?

Your idea works well in theory, but in practice I fear that it's only going to end in tears.

Eochaid

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2022, 03:19 pm »
Golf courses use a similar technique when moving holes and have never had any issues.

mayhem147

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2022, 06:14 pm »
Golf courses use a similar technique when moving holes and have never had any issues.

They'll have a greenkeeper to go and water the plug several times a day though, to ensure that it doesn't die off.

The very high likelihood of damaging finds is the major problem. You'll probably end up with pristine grass and a selection of badly scratched and bent coins.

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2022, 12:57 am »

Yes they do have issues buddy.
They use a special circle cutter, then they take the removed sod and put it in the old hole. They pack it with sand and water it heavily.  After all that, sometimes they still suffer and discolour. 

Coins and artefacts are different sizes and sit at different depths. The point where the signals drops can vary, so in my honest opinion and experience,   cutting plugs the size of golf holes can lead to damaged finds and damaged grass.  I learnt that the hard way.
Flirt with the dirt, beep, dig, dance....

Lodge Scent

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2022, 12:42 am »
One thing I have noticed is that the grass has a better chance of recovery if you go straight down with your digger. When you go in at an angle, you are cutting a lot more grass roots.