Author Topic: Treasure act change  (Read 4991 times)

rusty old bucket

• Administrator
Treasure act change
« on: March 14, 2023, 02:28 pm »
This new legislation had gone right over my head..As far as I can see was proposed last year!
Changes to what will be determined as treasure ..

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/thousands-more-treasures-to-be-saved-for-the-nation-as-rules-about-discoveries-are-changed
Rex Sedet in vertice
Live a good life.

mayhem147

Re: Treasure act change
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2023, 03:09 pm »
Probably not going to be in place until next year, at the earliest.

Our FLO reckons that that it will have next to no impact on the vast majority of our finds, which will still not be classed as treasure. However, the "significance" clause does theoretically mean that almost any find over 200 years old could be treasure if they were creative enough with the interpretation.

rusty old bucket

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2023, 05:57 pm »
Yep, no sweeping  changes as you say Mayhem..
I can see the argument  they make when you look at finds like the Ryedale hoard falling short of the treasure act and being sold off privately ..Although in it's  case it  was secured for the museum via donation....

That said if I had found it and had a valuation from the TVC .I maybe of a different opinion ;D
Rex Sedet in vertice
Live a good life.

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2023, 10:32 pm »
Seems to give more flexibility to claim anything.

An items "significance" as well as age, metal, size or numbers.

It makes sense really, if we find something that has a special significance then you can understand why they would want to hold on to it, although I think the term "treasure" needs replacing.  Maybe SHOs - Special Historical Objects. That could cover anything and could have classifications underneath in sub sections.

We're always being encourage to declare our finds and "show" them to FLOs - so that way, anything nice becomes a SHO-er. 

Flirt with the dirt, beep, dig, dance....