Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General detecting talk / Re: Unobtrusive lawn finds.
« Last Post by Keith67 on May 13, 2022, 03:15 pm »
Regardless of where I am I like a narrow spade, a three sided cut, and a decent size lump of earth to put back and stamp down.

Small cuts can dry off and rot more easily, and birds often pull them out when hunting for worms and grubs.
« Last Post by Eochaid on May 13, 2022, 12:51 pm »
I use a Fisher 1236 and a Deus and have never had any problems with their accuracy in pinpointing.
« Last Post by mayhem147 on May 11, 2022, 04:34 pm »
Pinpointing would have to be phenomenally accurate! :o

You'll also notice that the grass will die off more quickly and take longer to recover with a 360 plug (which is what you get with a bulb planter) than with a three sided trapdoor style recovery.
General detecting talk / Unobtrusive lawn finds.
« Last Post by Eochaid on May 11, 2022, 02:27 pm »
I have always found using a bulb planter for small finds like coins on a lawn were best retrieved by using a bulb planter. When the find is retrieved, the plug is placed straight back into the lawn leaving no trace of the excavation.
General detecting talk / Re: first detector??
« Last Post by mayhem147 on May 11, 2022, 01:20 pm »
There are a few chil friendly ones about under £100. The Nokta midi or mini hoard are meant to be good.

My niece has a Midi Hoard. They're not all bad for the money and certainly not a toy.

With the prices as they are right now though, I'd seriously consider a used Deus Lite. The shaft could be modified with a hacksaw if necessary. One of those with a 9" coil would be great starter machine, with little or no need to upgrade should he really take to the hobby.
« Last Post by Oxgirl on May 10, 2022, 02:16 pm »
There are a few chil friendly ones about under £100. The Nokta midi or mini hoard are meant to be good.
« Last Post by muckyfingers on May 09, 2022, 04:54 pm »
i was thinking garret ace 150!!!
« Last Post by 13oots2 on May 09, 2022, 01:15 pm »
What about a Minelab X-Terra? I used to detect with a woman who loved it and did quite well, she was 5'1" and found it light enough.
« Last Post by Lodge Scent on May 09, 2022, 01:12 am »
A well used Deus 1. I have one but the shipping costs would be horrendous.  ;D
« Last Post by bob79 on May 08, 2022, 09:56 pm »
one of the landowners i go has a 9 year old son who wants to start detecting , any idea what would be a good starter machine for him?
light weight, good disc, easy to use. any idea would be welcome. oh, and not expensive[second hand] i guess.
michael.

Checkout the Nokta Makro Mini/Midi Hoard detectors, especially designed  for the young 'uns, waterproof and cordless.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10