Author Topic: Teknetics Patriot  (Read 10997 times)

jackel

Teknetics Patriot
« on: June 02, 2017, 06:01 pm »
Just wondered if anybody had heard on the grapevine whether the new Teknetics Patriot 13khz is any good?

Most of the information seems to be American not really that much in the way of a UK field test etc. Or does anybody have one of these new machine, If so what are your thoughts on the machine. Considering either one of these or the X Terra 705 again or even maybe the F75 again. Thanks for any information.

bob79

Re: Teknetics Patriot
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 08:00 pm »
Check out Unearthed UK YouTube vids, he seems to like it, then again he would being UK importer.

Peter

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 08:22 pm »
Looks like its Technetics answer to the Fisher F70.
Still not as powerful as the F75 though ,but probably a very capable detector for the price....
Heres a chapter from the Technetics review on it.

Those familiar with the Fisher F70 will see the similarities right away.  It has the same easy to read LCD and button layout, and is based off of the same tried and proven 13khz platform as it’s older brother/sister F75 and T2.   The 4X AA batteries placed directly under the arm cuff will give you roughly 40 hours of run time and provide an excellent counter-balance to the already lightweight 11 inch Bi-Axial (DD) search coil at the front.   With balance like that - and then only weighing in at 2.9lbs - swinging this Patriot all day is about as enjoyable as it gets in this hobby.  No silly harness needed here like some other heavy professional grade detectors - and let us be clear - this is one serious detector.

This Patriot I tested had no problems air testing a US silver quarter at 14 inches in the Auto-Tune (all-metal) mode with sensitivity at 90 (adjustable from 1-99)...and threshold at +1 (adjustable from -9  to +9).  I felt that was the “sweet” spot with this Patriot with a nice audible hum.

Setting the discrimination at 15 which is the end of the iron range and where many would hunt in real world situations - it hit the silver quarter repeatedly at 12 inches.   That is again with sensitivity at 90 (adjustable from 1-99)...and threshold at +1 (adjustable from -9  to +9).   But it did not stop there…

The “threshold” setting in disc mode does NOT produce an audible hum like in the all-metal (AT) mode.  It is used as target size filter of sorts.  So I could actually raise it further and use it to boost the sensitivity of the machine to deeper and smaller objects.   Pushing the threshold higher to +4 started to produce a bit of chatter but pushed the dime to 13 inches.  Nearly as far as the all-metal (AT) tests. 

Air-testing is obviously not for everybody.   How about a 1936 Wheat Penny at 8 inches in a VERY mineralized Colorado soil?  The Pin Point push button feature showed 8 inches on the LCD display and it was true to it’s word.  I actually had to sit back and give a laugh at some of the deep 8-9-10 inch coins it was producing in some very bad soil.  The same nasty Colorado soil that sent other detectors into fits and limited their depth to the 4-5 inch range.   The Patriot sliced through this soil like butter.  The depth indicator bars and Pin Point button information being spot on each time for coin sized targets which they are calibrated for.

That was in the “dE” speed setting...which stands for default.   It is the normal and quite fast “speed” setting for both (AT) and discrimination settings.  It is what you will want to use 90% of the time.  There is also the “SL” or “slow” speed setting that will give an extra bit of depth.   The trade off being stability to EMI and bad soil.  I found it to be quite deep and providing a superior ID on deeper targets as long as the swing speed was kept “slow” as the name implies.   

Speaking of ground balancing, it has a button called (GG) which stands for “Ground Grab”.  It allows a quick ground phase adjustment to your soil by pressing the button and pumping the coil from 1-6 inches off the ground.  It is fast, extremely accurate, and can quick grab to salt for you beach hunters out there.

For coin hunters out there it has an easy to read LCD display showing a 1-99 target ID and 8 target categories (Iron, Foil,5c,Tab,,Zinc,Dime,25c,50c).  A variety of tones from 1 to 4 with an “H” setting for each that will provide high tone breaks points.  A “DP” setting which stands for “Delta Pitch” will provide 99 different tones according to each ID.   Many veterans swear by it.  A confidence meter will provide 4 bars of well…”confidence”...according to how well the machine thinks it matches the ID.   

For the relic hunter in all of us, there is a “Dirt” meter than will provide 4 bars showing mineralization in your current soil.  A very handy feature.

Sticking to the relic topic - I decided to place 3 nails in a triangular pattern about 4 inches from each other.  Setting the disc at 15 eliminated their presence completely.   I placed a 1950 wheat penny directly in the middle of the nails and it immediately high toned in the Tone 3 setting from every angle.  Then  placing a nail directly on top of the penny again produced a clear high tone.  How this Patriot gets this 11DD to separate and unmask so well is a mystery.  With the optional 5in DD sniper coil there is nothing it won’t be able to handle.   Even gold prospecting, as it will sound off at 2-3 inches on a sub gram picker.  Larger nuggets will sing like a bird.

For the city hunters who need to deal with EMI is has the option to shift through 7 side frequencies in the 13khz range.  F1-F7.  A great feature that can really save the day where WIFI and cellular signals are prevalent.  I did not have any issues with EMI from any of the 7 settings.  Often being able to max out at 99 sens and +1 threshold with no chatter.

jackel

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 08:28 pm »
Thanks guys I have read that also comments do seem to think that it is a re-vamped F70 but suppose that can't be a bad thing.

Reminds me of a F75 too be honest both have the same frequency, at one point I was set on the 705 now i am torn again between the Patriot or go the extra for the F75 again...  :-\

Cheers Pete, Hope you holiday went well  :)

lytle78

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 03:47 pm »
The Patriot and the F70 are exactly the same detector.  Only difference is the re-branding which give the Patriot a different color scheme and control screen theme.  No changes whatsoever except for that - and, of course, the huge price drop.

You can now get it on Amazon, USA as well as direct from Teknetics (Teknetics will not ship outside the US).

The Patriot as well as the Liberator and Minuteman are the re-branded machines which make up the new Ameritek sub-brand at Teknetics.  This is a new factory-direct selling approach, amd is based on the realities of the US detector market.

Fisher, Teknetics and Bounty Hunter are all part of First Texas Holdings.  All their products are designed by the same engineering group in their El Paso Texas facility.  All the detectors of all three brands are likewise manufactured in the El Paso facility (with the sole exception of part of the Bounty Hunter Jr. (BHJR) - production - part of the volume of this one model are built in China - the box of each BHJR detector is marked with the correct country of manufacture.

The Patriot at $399 is a stunning value.  Google "REVIER" or "digger27" and "F70 detector" and you will find masses of good info on this unit.

jackel

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 05:39 pm »
Thanks for the info i all take a look at that. ;)

bob79

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 06:06 pm »
£500 over here, about $640.

jackel

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 07:01 pm »
I just noticed that also Joan Allen have two prices sale price £469 or £499.

Unearthed have it at £479 and £499 cheaper in the States of course ! Done some research and still torn between three machines the Minelab X Terra 705 the Teknetics Patriot or the Fisher F75. You can buy the F75 dst for £595 for only a hundred odd more.

Think i will hang back a little on the Patriot see what the reviews are over a the next few weeks or so.

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 12:04 am »
If I was you I would save up and go for the F75 with DST.  If the Patriot is indeed an F70 then it amounts to the same thing that Peter commented on regards the Garrett AT Max, just another detector that offers nothing new at all? 
Flirt with the dirt, beep, dig, dance....

Peter

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 10:36 am »
I use the Fisher F75 with DST and I have the DST switched off "most" of the time.
The reason being ,you do lose depth when the DST function is switched on. Its a bit of a trade off to be able to use the Detector underneath or around High capacity Electricity Pylons, or even just the small telegraph pole type Electricity power lines you see in country lanes carrying electricity to remote houses or farms, but lets face it, a bit of depth loss is better than not being able to work around pylons in a field at all so the trade off is worth it..
The DST does indeed work as it should ,in eradicating interference while detecting near Electricity carrying structures (Pylons), but like I said, the trade off is a reduction by a small amount in depth. So I only have the DST function switched on ,as and when I "need" to.
 I find lots of people don`t even know that it can be turned off or simply just don`t bother to turn it off, but It does indeed make a difference on and off.

jackel

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 11:34 am »
Think i'm set now on the F75 makes more sense really cheers..

needlegun

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2017, 11:26 am »
If you are open to trying a non Amercan
Detector .May i sugest the Altera 71 ?
It gives the user FAR more options as regards
Freq .
Excelent value for money .
That is the main thing  .
VALUE FOR MONEY 😋

?

jackel

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2017, 01:24 pm »
I don't fancy that one you mentioned needlegun not knocking the machine but just want one that i am familiar with.

Just another thought the T2 classic has been introduced again and with this being very much like the F75 i am wondering if this machine is worth a thought also. Only on the basis that they have addressed the build issues from when the T2 first come out of course. Wonder if there is a way of finding out if they have addresses these issues. If so this could be a contender because they are cheaper that the new Patriot and the F75.

Any thoughts ?

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2017, 05:50 pm »
I don't fancy that one you mentioned needlegun not knocking the machine but just want one that i am familiar with.

Just another thought the T2 classic has been introduced again and with this being very much like the F75 i am wondering if this machine is worth a thought also. Only on the basis that they have addressed the build issues from when the T2 first come out of course. Wonder if there is a way of finding out if they have addresses these issues. If so this could be a contender because they are cheaper that the new Patriot and the F75.

Any thoughts ?

I'm pretty sure the T2 classic won't have the DST technology, something you would need to check.
Flirt with the dirt, beep, dig, dance....

Peter

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2017, 06:09 pm »
Yes there is a  Teknetics T2 that does indeed have the DST on board .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRURyti3Sko