Author Topic: Do you keep your own database of finds?  (Read 4767 times)

Rew

• Gold Membership
Re: Do you keep your own database of finds?
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2018, 09:56 pm »
Who's woke up with a sore head today then ;)
I do it with an AKA Sorex Pro

JBM

• Gold Membership
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2018, 09:58 pm »
Well I go back well before the age of the computer for data collection.

I have some records but many of my finds even precious metal ones, I have given away to Farmers and friends.

Some of the more important ones are in museums.

I just enjoy the research before the hunt and after with identification, plus of course swinging the detector in the fresh air.

I have over time had some lucky finds, but my advice is dont give up the day job. ;) :)

Happy Hunting,

Jerry.

Lodge Scent

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2018, 03:41 am »

Database pointless unless you like number crunching and making work for yourself.   

Mr. Farty, I think you are missing the point. For me the database is for preserving fond memories and a tool for compiling clues to help me imagine what life was like for the people that dropped the artifacts. All fun parts of the metal detecting experience.  ;)

impos1

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2018, 06:39 am »

Database pointless unless you like number crunching and making work for yourself.   

Mr. Farty, I think you are missing the point. For me the database is for preserving fond memories and a tool for compiling clues to help me imagine what life was like for the people that dropped the artifacts. All fun parts of the metal detecting experience.  ;)

100% agree with you there lodge.

XP Deus
Makro Racer
Whites v3i
Whites MX5

Maxi21

• No gold yet, except a -
  • Gold Membership
  • Using Deus, 9" & 13" coils
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2018, 09:07 am »

I've down the line of all that twaddle and after 20 odd years detecting have
 given away 95% of my finds. For me the thrill of the chace and the excitement
 of making the mud clod smaller and smaller to find that lovely trinket is the only
 thing that's worth doing in metal detecting.

Each to his own Farty.  Like you I have shared finds with landowners, as I believe if a landowner is good enough to let you on his property then the least you can do is show them and if they want one or two of them that adds to the relationship. For me the database is all about the research and consolidating in one place all my finds with the PAS links, plus giving my family a clue as to what's there in case something suddenly happens to me. If they wish to give it to a museum I would be delighted and the database would be invaluable to the museum as a starting point to know what is there, but equally if they were in a difficult position financially and opted to try to sell some bits then that is their prerogative and the database would be a guide for them.

Happy hunting one and all!
Nick

Treat everything & everyone with the respect they deserve.

JBM

• Gold Membership
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2018, 03:24 pm »
Well I go back well before the age of the computer for data collection.

I have some records but many of my finds even precious metal ones, I have given away to Farmers and friends.

Some of the more important ones are in museums.

I just enjoy the research before the hunt and after with identification, plus of course swinging the detector in the fresh air.

I have over time had some lucky finds, but my advice is dont give up the day job. ;) :)

Happy Hunting,

Jerry.

Just a thought.

Here is a typical finds box with the recipients name removed.

The Finds sheet listings from the boxes act as a personal record if I need to re-cap.

Happy Hunting,

Jerry.