Author Topic: Paying the farmer large cash amounts is catching on  (Read 3536 times)

kris milner

• xp deus m16 hf coil ws5 ws4 control
Paying the farmer large cash amounts is catching on
« on: July 21, 2018, 08:10 am »
Here in yorkshire it is now becoming popular for groups of detectorists to pay the farmer around £1000 cash on the table for a years exclusive rights to the farmers feilds that shuts the door to any other detectorists gaining legal access to that land  I have come across this more than once it would appear that our hobby is becoming big business has anyone else come across this trend
xp deus m16 hf coil ws5 ws4 control

JBM

• Gold Membership
Re: Paying the farmer large cash amounts is catching on
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 08:25 am »
In some parts of the country its a £1000 for a weekend. :(

WHRADA a well organised Somerset club of over 30 years standing, give members a different farm each week and NCMD membership for less than £1 a week.

Iam afraid this hobby of ours has become a money making enterprise in recent times.

Happy Hunting,

Jerry.

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 12:41 pm »
Do you think it's the growth of the hobby?  Farm fields are more in demand than ever, so both sides are catching on to the benefits of money for detecting rights.

I am amazed how many people tell me they started detecting after seeing "the Detectorists" and while this should have been nothing more than an enjoyable and popular television show, is it possible that the programme has pushed our numbers up and put added pressure on clubs and individuals to get land?

As much as I love the hobby, and for all the joy it gives me, the fact is I would never have even thought about metal detecting until I saw that show, like many many others. And thanks to this lap top I am writing on now, and the modern world wide web, everything I needed to know was minutes away at my fingertips.  Is my generation of newbies a big part of the problem?  :( 
Flirt with the dirt, beep, dig, dance....

nailman

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 01:24 pm »
At the end of the day it’s the farmers field. I live in Yorkshire and used to detect with one club that had the old fashioned gentleman’s agreement with the farmer, only our club please

We were in one of our ‘ REGULAR ‘ sites (every other week ) when a bloke walking his dog asked “ you lot where here last week !” We weren’t but a group who paid big money were.
A lot of Detectorist now are driven by the desire just to find treasure, take a look in the scrap buckets you’ll find Roman grots, ideals these should be recorded with PAS as indicators of Roman pressance
I enjoy being outside finding history, I’am happy finding trade weights, spindly whorls.
Unless you have a good relationship with the landowner CASH talks the farmer has to make a living.
Experienced button digger
XP Deus
Insurance company's are warning campers if your tent is stolen during the night you won't be covered

13oots2

• Administrator
    • Comics
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 10:27 am »
It looks like I am due a reasonable sized sum of money, there is a farmer a few miles away that is very close to one of the biggest Iron Age forts in Europe. I had contacted him a couple of times and he seemed on the fence as to permission, he actually seemed quite amused by our hobby. If I get my money am thinking of dropping a couple of hundred on the table to see if he bites.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page and join the live chat

lobo

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 10:41 am »
Luckily there are still some Farmers who value their privacy or friendship over money and only allow a couple of detectorists on their land.

Willy muffit

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 06:14 pm »
I have heard of a select group of people mainly retired and people that can get time off in the week

they all pay  £20 each and go to farms and say we are a group of 20  mainly retired professional people and would pay you £400 cash for a days detecting on your land they get to go on land that normaly  you would not get permission on
Deus 11" standard + 9" HF coil
T2 Ltd  + NEL Tornado +  Sharpshooter
Minelab Equinox

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2018, 06:37 pm »
I have heard of a select group of people mainly retired and people that can get time off in the week

they all pay  £20 each and go to farms and say we are a group of 20  mainly retired professional people and would pay you £400 cash for a days detecting on your land they get to go on land that normaly  you would not get permission on

Seems fair enough.
Flirt with the dirt, beep, dig, dance....