Author Topic: Equinox obsoletes all single frequency VLF detectors. Fact or Fiction.  (Read 667 times)

Willy muffit

Well worth watching a PROPER  in depth comparison video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7yGIfGDLU8&feature=youtu.be
Deus 11" standard + 9" HF coil
T2 Ltd  + NEL Tornado +  Sharpshooter
Minelab Equinox

mayhem147

Or perhaps not ;)

When he tries to perform ground balance with the Equinox he's holding down the wrong button! He should be holding the Accept/Reject button, but instead holds down the Detect button. You'll see SP appear on the screen, confirming NOT that ground balance has been achieved, but that the search profile selected has been reset to factory settings.

As always, any comparison review really needs to be undertaken by someone who is highly proficient with both machines on test, which is evidently not the case here...

mayhem147

In fact, having had another quick look, he hasn't even navigated to the Ground Balance part of the Equinox settings menu, before he tries to GB by holding the Detect button, and succeeds only in performing a factory reset of the mode.

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
In fact, having had another quick look, he hasn't even navigated to the Ground Balance part of the Equinox settings menu, before he tries to GB by holding the Detect button, and succeeds only in performing a factory reset of the mode.

Given this evidence I guess we can dismiss the video.  So many people on YT are putting out poor information.
Flirt with the dirt, beep, dig, dance....

nailman

Given this evidence I guess we can dismiss the video.  So many people on YT are putting out poor information.
I blame the guy who invented the go pro, time will tell
Experienced button digger
XP Deus
Insurance company's are warning campers if your tent is stolen during the night you won't be covered

bigbri

Totally correct
Simplex+

Gary

• Gary B
  • Administrator
Here we go again.
Here are another 2 videos just released by the same guy with the same results.
https://youtu.be/1tZzqQjI61Q

https://youtu.be/a3mUjJkUKbk

On video 2 the maximum sensitivity he can use on the Equinox is 14 in the wet / damp conditions.

bigbri

Oh heck.  Has he got some sort of vendetta?  Any chance of comments this time?

Bri
Simplex+

Gary

• Gary B
  • Administrator
I don't think he has a vendetta, when a manufacturer makes wild claims they are going to get this sort of response from someone. The video from what I can see disproves the claims made by Minelab.
He will probably work through other machines as time goes by. upsetting Minelab is one thing, but upsetting the Russians............Good luck with that one  ;)

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
It's all a bit messy though isn't it?  In the long video he moans about the Nox not saving his settings, then  he realises that it can, although he doesn't know how it's happened.  I think his exact words were "maybe I am doing something wrong"

Anyone wanting to defend the Nox will simply say that he doesn't know how to use it, and based on some of the evidence, he doesn't.  The same may be true about his understanding of the Signum,  while he clearly knows exactly how to set up the Nexus.

Rightly or wrongly, I think a lot of people will just dismiss this chap, he's already had to delete the original video admitting he didn't set the machine up right. I can't see many wanting to watch a comparison video lasting over an hour either.
Flirt with the dirt, beep, dig, dance....

Willy muffit

Re ((I can't see many wanting to watch a comparison video lasting over an hour either))

Surely ?  watching an in depth video thats obviously genuine is better that watching these hoards of obviously faked videos that are all over youtube and facebook where people dig up planted stuff ? I for one find it interesting
we the viewer can make our own minds up ?  really dont get why people get wound up with the pathetic football team mentality ? 
mind you Minelab does promote this cobblers !  with there pathetic stupid claims
.....((making other manufacturers machines obsolete ))
Deus 11" standard + 9" HF coil
T2 Ltd  + NEL Tornado +  Sharpshooter
Minelab Equinox

bigbri

Keith, thanks for the straight, common sense comment.
Bri
Simplex+

mayhem147

Well, he's got the hang of ground balance now :) However, recovery speed was set on 1.

I can't speak from vast experience with the Equinox here, but setting recovery that low (whilst in theory promoting depth) tends to result in a poor quality broken signal, particularly if the swing speed is quite brisk, as it was in the video.

Piscator

Re: Equinox obsoletes all single frequency VLF detectors. Fact or Fiction.
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2018, 09:53 pm »
A job with a great future; disproving wild marketing claims  ;)
Every manufacturer of any product is guilty as charged.
No use in claiming your product is mediocre of course..

While you can try to prove which detector is best, you can never really prove it in my opinion.
So much depends on the operator, the environment and the purpose for which it is optimized; frequencies, recovery speed etc.
Some have more bells and whistles, but apart from all that; what's really the difference.

Take the Nox 800, which I own and love by the way.
If you look closely at the difference in the first 4 programs you'll see it seems more complicated than it actually is.
Apart from 2 or 5 or 50 tones (which make it seem very different)the difference is just 1 level of recovery, or just blocking the coke in the field modes by raising the rejection 2 points.
So is it a better detector than say a GMP?
Nope, just more adjustable imho, like the Deus is.

I think being able to operate multiple frequencies at the same time is nice, but I can also switch to single if I want.
In that, it obsoletes all single frequency detectors  :P
But it still can't find coins at 30 inches....

nailman

Re: Equinox obsoletes all single frequency VLF detectors. Fact or Fiction.
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2018, 10:14 pm »
I used to work in marketing, Evan though I worked in the photography dept, we used to get our fair share of “ samples “ it was a sort of perk.
I don’t watch these U Tube videos, he either has a axe to grind, being given a machine

When the next bells and whistles machine arrives will no doubt to bogging that up.
I go by recommendation S from fellow Detectorist.
I get the impression individually is not allowed in this hobby any more ,if that’s the case it’s a marketing department S wet dream
Rant over
Experienced button digger
XP Deus
Insurance company's are warning campers if your tent is stolen during the night you won't be covered