Gary's Detecting forum > General detecting talk

Do you gain anything by reducing a detectors sweep speed ???

<< < (6/6)

DaveJ:
Sometimes you just dont have the time to go slow,one of the best examples would be say when you are on a club dig or a rally,then you only have say about 7 hours as a one of time duration to hit that site,so the best tactic would be if of course you own a large coil would be use that to give you more ground coverage,this may not be the best tactic but i dont pesonally think such a site can be done any other way.

Then we move onto our own permission,this situation allow us to be much more methodical in our approach as we dont have a clock ticking against us,then we can use a smaller coil and take much more time to cover the are with a smaller coil and then once we feel it has been covered then start using a slightly larger coil.Of course this method/scenario is based on if the detectorist has a few coils,but i feel that this method in the long run will produce the best results,that is of course if finds are in that location.But just by using a large coil straight away will i feel give you alot of 'nulled' signals.

So if i go on say a days rally then i would tend to use a slightly larger coil and slightly increase my sweep speed but on my own permissions i would slow down and on some occasion have seen snails over take me,but they have usually produces some of my best finds.

pryorcreekjoe:
Anyone who has owned an Minelab Explorer and done well with it, knows correct sweep speed.  It's now about how fast you cover the area, it is about how well you cover it.  And slow is always better than fast.  Tried and true!

goldfinger:
  Here's a typical example of going really slow with an Etrac on a very well detected small pasture field that has now given me 11 hammered over the last 2 years........

Just been out this week and pulled this small hammered up from my favourite site, it looks like an Elizabeth 1st half groat London mint 1582 - 1602.
This site has been done by just about every detector known to man over the past 2 years, so I put the Etrac on full sens and full Volume gain in MTC, and a one pence sized block of discrim in the right hand bottom corner, also turned both recovery deep and fast OFF. Most important thing was I worked very slowly, it's surprising how many tiny blips you can miss going too fast.
I found 6 buttons and various bits of small lead and brass fragments over a 3 hour session, and the hammered was a barely audible low grunt but it was a repeatable signal when cross swept, if I had been going a bit faster it would have been missed. Only thing that spoilt my day was the detector started giving false signals after 2 hours, especially when I held the coil up in the air on it's edge . This can only mean one thing, water in the coil, I have had this happen to me before on the original stock coil and it had to be replaced, looks like I will be buying a new Ultimate pretty soon, at least I can put the original coil back on for now though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version