Gary's Detecting forum > General detecting talk

Do you gain anything by reducing a detectors sweep speed ???

(1/6) > >>

DaveJ:
This has had me thinking in the last few days after seeing a few videos that suggest that if you reduce your swing speed down while detecting it 'could' give it better time to process the information better,in my mind this does make alot of sense.

But in the real world and with electronics so advanced and quicker would this still apply,starting this weekend i plan on trying reducing my swing speed down and take a mental note of if it actually does make any difference,of course a conclusion cannot be made after just a few outings but over a longer time frame and then it will be worth seeing if any advantage can be gained.

Has anyone got any additional thoughts on this one please.

gc-1023:
i can remember my first motion machine was a whites 6000  and had to be moved quickly ,then i got the toltec 100 and it was like switching to slow motion capture . i think every motion machine has a sweet speed ,but do wonder if even that can vary with the mineralisation  encountered.

coenwolf:
if i remember correctly the dfx has a adjustable sweep speed section ,i don't think it actually did anything that made any difference though ,generally again from memory the whites worked best on moderate speeds ,new fisher and teknetics require a faster rate ,minelab need a sloooow rate of swing .
   i can remember watching someone at a rally once literally whipping his machine as he walked ,and the coil was only in detection range for a micro second of each sweep .takes all sorts  ::)

Sven:
Depends upon the detector. Some machines will go a bit deeper if sweep speed is increased and then some will not even see the target if the sweep speed is too fast. I think you'll see more of this is disc and or disc target ID mode than in all metal mode.

Nigel at Regtons:
It's all relative.

We see fast recovery speed machines like Deus every day being swung like a scythe, many are under the misapprehension that they CAN sweep that fast because it's a fast machine, they are WRONG.

If you have a slow recovery machine and slow your sweep speed down it will help the machine overcome that problem to an extent but it will still not be as fast as a fast recovery speed machine at the same sweep speed.

Everyone should try to slow down, it's not easy as you tend to speed back up again within a short space of time, the old, saying slow & low is very appropriate.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version