Author Topic: lost a permission  (Read 3914 times)

mrbaker

lost a permission
« on: December 14, 2015, 04:30 pm »
Detecting today on a recent permission when approached by a couple of guys that were none to happy, after a brief confrontation they identified themselves as the land owners and they produced id's and phoned the farmer and tore him a new one. I produced my permission contract that I got the farmer to countersign turns out he is a tenant.
The farmer told me he was the landowner when I 1st approached him lying git.
Been told to approach the owners in the new year regarding permission  as they seemed fairly happy with my conduct and showing I have insurance as well.
So lesson to learn is don't take the farmers claim to be the landowner check it out.

oscar6972

Re: lost a permission
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 04:53 pm »
A good cautionary tale mate, and one that people will be wise to listen to. Just because someone is sat in a tractor or resident in a farmhouse doesn't mean they are the landowner, so like you say, always double check. there's a guy local to me who has youtube'd himself on a plot of land which I know for a fact is owned by the Council, but he's told me he has permission from the farmer who grazes cattle on there so it's okay??? I don't think so, and if he gets caught I think he could be in a lot of trouble!!

Hope it works out ok with the actual landowners mate, sounds like the bridges are not completely burnt.

gc-1023

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 05:14 pm »
its a good example for all as well .that we cant take things for granted .
i have a half decent permission at the moment but should anything happen i,m back to one acre that i,ve done to death and found four coins on .
we should not rest on our laurels where permission is concerned and devote a set amount of time each month to building on what we have ,or at least those of us who have so little to go at .
good luck with winning the next permission michael . ;)

nailman

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 10:30 pm »
Best of luck with regaining permission.

My cousin  rents a farm when we visit I take the detector the gamekeeper knows and always asks if I've found the Vets forceps ? When I say not yet I get a wave and a try over there.
Experienced button digger
XP Deus
Insurance company's are warning campers if your tent is stolen during the night you won't be covered

JBM

• Gold Membership
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 10:50 pm »
Nothing changes only the faces. ;) Jerry.

OldFartPhil

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 01:12 pm »
I now don't bother looking for permissions anymore , I'm a member of a Facebook based group / club and go digging with them on land that's found by the organisers . On our last dig a few hammerds were found and I found a 1925 sixpence , one member found a full Sovereign dated 1825 :)

mrbaker

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2015, 10:20 pm »
I now don't bother looking for permissions anymore , I'm a member of a Facebook based group / club and go digging with them on land that's found by the organisers . On our last dig a few hammerds were found and I found a 1925 sixpence , one member found a full Sovereign dated 1825 :)
Could be another way to go m8

Ne1l

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 08:09 pm »
Interesting point and something to bother about. Question really is if the farmer says he is the land owner and gives permission, how/where can we check if he is telling the truth. Is a land owners registry freely available? (Would be useful if it is)

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 08:54 pm »
As a complete newcomer to the hobby I can see that permissions will need getting used to, not just the detector!  Does all land need some form of permission?

Oh on another note, has anyone heard of a store up North called Unearthed UK? They seemed incredibly cheap compared to others !
Flirt with the dirt, beep, dig, dance....

mrbaker

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 10:12 pm »
As a complete newcomer to the hobby I can see that permissions will need getting used to, not just the detector!  Does all land need some form of permission?

Oh on another note, has anyone heard of a store up North called Unearthed UK? They seemed incredibly cheap compared to others !

Hi and welcome to the forum yes all land belongs to someone either private council parish  councils etc and you do need the land owners permission.

Keith67

• XP Deus, GM1+UK
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2015, 11:07 pm »
Thanks Mr Baker, I thought that would be the case and appreciate the confirmation.
Flirt with the dirt, beep, dig, dance....